For Those "not Interested" In Scotland

Supporting Scotland has feck all to do with being an Aberdeen fan.

I guess you're too young to have seen Scotland play in a world cup finals?

Chris Hoy doesna play for Aberdeen and I still support him.

You're off your heid.

You're an idiot.

You're a borderline Hun.

This + Jaws post :trophy::cheers::rolleyes::itch-chin::laughing::hysterical:

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest rocket_scientist
Please stoney, even though this thread was inspired by you, please just gtfo. OUR national anthem is Flower of Scotland, and yet for all your OF hate, you align yourself to the British/English anthem that is the fav ditty of the Huns? You are quite a fool.

Telt ye before. Dinna pick on ma mate.

Or I will strike down with great vengeance and furious anger...

Interesting thread, so I figure I'll give my tuppence worth...

Although I want us to do well in every sport, I have found myself being completely indifferent in the last year or so. The reason is simply because we as a nation are forever destined to under-achieve in all endeavours. It is this defeatist attitude, as well as our condoning mediocrity and rewarding glorious failure (in this life, failure is still failure, however "close" you come) that will see us eternally straddle the international wilderness.

Yet it doesn't have to be this way. Take Croatia, for example (Denmark and Sweden are similar examples, but let's go with Slaven Bilic's side for now). It has a population smaller than Scotland's (and indeed, has only been a fully autonomous, independent nation for less than 20yrs) and has been war-ravaged in recent years, yet the heroic achievements of it's football side since it declared independence in the 90's has been a joy to behold.

What's their secret? Well, it's too far-reaching and complex to go into full detail on a small forum like this, but the jist of it is that they have an incredible spirit and sense of patriotism - a real AURA about them. The Scotland side have that too, I hear you all say. Yet there is one crucial ingredient we sorely lack - BELIEF. We lack the belief that we are anything more than a perennial underdog who can hope for little else than to just make up the numbers and, hopefully, sneak in there. Croatia on the other hand, go into every battle with fixed bayonets, saying "we've been bombed to sh*t, but nothing and no-one scares us, so bring it on!". Subsequently, they continually punch above their weight.

Conversely, look at our results over the years when it mattered:

In 1978, we lost to Peru after missing a penalty to go 2 up. We then drew with Iran, but finished by beating a fantastic (the eventual runners-up) Holland side 3-2. 1974 and 1982 saw us go out on goal difference, while in 1990 we start by losing to Costa Rica, but then beating Sweden and taking Brazil to the wire!

More recently, we revived our 2006 campaign by drawing with Italy, then beating the Norwegians and Slovenians away, yet we also slipped up against, of all teams, Belarus. Whatever anyone else says, our failure to qualify for this year's Euros was our abysmal performance against Georgia, NOT our cruel last-minute defeat to Italy. Whether it's 1974 or 2008, we still cannot change our ways.

World-class battlers, but even bigger bottlers.

Darwin said that in order to evolve, a species must adapt to it's surroundings and that those who do not adapt, wither away by the Process of Natural Selection. We Scots have neither evolved nor adapted and have subsequently been in the international footballing wilderness for a decade. 10 years since we reached a major tournament? It will be ANOTHER 10 before we see another, at this rate. In order to reverse this trend, we have to change our whole way of thinking, to something resembling the Croatians. Adapt and evolve, or stagnate and die.

I won't hold my breath...

Guest rocket_scientist

Excellent post, JB, and absolutely on the money. These are the key truths for me: -

The reason is simply because we as a nation are forever destined to under-achieve in all endeavours. It is this defeatist attitude, as well as our condoning mediocrity and rewarding glorious failure (in this life, failure is still failure, however "close" you come) that will see us eternally straddle the international wilderness.

Yet there is one crucial ingredient we sorely lack - BELIEF. We lack the belief that we are anything more than a perennial underdog who can hope for little else than to just make up the numbers and, hopefully, sneak in there.

Darwin said that in order to evolve, a species must adapt to it's surroundings and that those who do not adapt, wither away by the Process of Natural Selection. We Scots have neither evolved nor adapted and have subsequently been in the international footballing wilderness for a decade.

A sports psychologist last year broke Positive Thinking down to these three elements - Desire, Belief, Expectation.

If you want it enough, and believe it to be possible, then you begin to expect to win.

This is the hardest part for not only our sportsmen and women to understand, but even the Scottish coaches and commentators.

Dealing in matters of the mind, in the psychology of winners, is alien to the hard-drinking, proud-to-be-Calvinist, Scots.

I trust that SS Red's post was an inspired comment in support of your post, JB, rather than a classically tragic example of our defeatism.

In Edinburgh, a couple of years ago, there was a lottery-funded two day seminar on Positive Psychology in Sport. The "trainer" at the end of day 1 asked everyone to visualise the parking space they were going to get the next morning, in a city that is notoriously difficult to get parked.

A number of delegates reported that it happened exactly how they anticipated, and there were a number of converts to Positive Thinking coming out of that seminar. There was a fantastic example of the defeatist, non-believer, typical Scot though. When asked why he thought it didn't work, as this delegate did not find the parking place he "visualised", he said "because when I was driving in I knew it wouldn't work".

It appears that unless it's nuts and bolts and black or white, the average Scotsman is too thick to think outside the box.

Average people don't make winners though, but we have too many average people in Scottish football - administration and coaching particularly.

Please stoney, even though this thread was inspired by you, please just gtfo. OUR national anthem is Flower of Scotland, and yet for all your OF hate, you align yourself to the British/English anthem that is the fav ditty of the Huns? You are quite a fool.

you dont even know your own countries national anthem do you? the flower of scotland is our adopted national anthem so at least get the argument right :ThumbsDown:

i dont align myself to ANY british national anthem - i just dont let it upset me as im not anti crown, anti english etc im indifferant to it all.

im the fool? im not the one arguing on the internet at at 8 o clock on a saturday night mate :ThumbsDown:

pretty good post jocky

i never missed a home qaulifier from 2001 through to 2005 including all the home friendlies in between to be honest i got fed up watching old firm reserves instead some of our players who actually deserved a game, it was sh*te how the country turned its back on us time and time again.

Again some of you are too thick to realise that not supporting the natioal team does not mean im anti scottish.

anyway away back to the pub :P its only the internet kids dont let it bother you that much :crossfingers:

For a country of 5 million I think we have done ok.

i find it pathetic that in todays papers theres a big hooha about scotland fans not getting into the game.for friggs sake they were told numerous times dont go to macedonia if you dont have an official ticket for the away end you will have no chance of getting into the home end yet theres an outcry after what happened yesterday.ive no sympathy for the "tartan army" money wasted and nobody to blame but themselves

Guest rocket_scientist

I reckon George Burley's nephew Craig Burley read your post last night, Jocky B!

He usually spiks utter sh*te but in today's Sunday Times, his heading was "Scotland must start showing some belief - and some balls".

Guess your post was indeed right on the money.

I reckon George Burley's nephew Craig Burley read your post last night, Jocky B!

He usually spiks utter sh*te but in today's Sunday Times, his heading was "Scotland must start showing some belief - and some balls".

Guess your post was indeed right on the money.

As I said, Croatia has a million fewer inhabitants than Scotland, but they have continually punched well above their weight. Even Holland (pop. 18M) and Czech Republic (pop. 6M) have competed admirably with the "big boys" (i.e. Germany, Italy and France - pop. 80M, 60M and 55M respectively) for 35 years.

If they can achieve this, there is absolutely no reason why we can't. The only barrier to Scottish sporting success is the Scots themselves. It's quite pathetic, really. True nonetheless.

i find it pathetic that in todays papers theres a big hooha about scotland fans not getting into the game.for friggs sake they were told numerous times dont go to macedonia if you dont have an official ticket for the away end you will have no chance of getting into the home end yet theres an outcry after what happened yesterday.ive no sympathy for the "tartan army" money wasted and nobody to blame but themselves

would you have had the same opinion if any of the dons fans were refused entry in madrid?

Guest rocket_scientist
would you have had the same opinion if any of the dons fans were refused entry in madrid?

vda, that tequila or mescallin deein yer brain in yet?

Seriously, a big hoohaa aboot the TA wanks nae gettin in. Big deal. They didna hae official tickets. Police chief wiz right. Much ado aboot feck all.

vda, that tequila or mescallin deein yer brain in yet?

Seriously, a big hoohaa aboot the TA wanks nae gettin in. Big deal. They didna hae official tickets. Police chief wiz right. Much ado aboot feck all.

There was also quite alot of Scots fans who had away end and they didn't get in at all. Am sure I would be making a big deal if I was 1 of them. The Sfa are also pissed off with Macedonia FA as away end could have held more than 1000 fans.

How anyone, born in Scotland, feels the need, not to support Scotland is beyond me! I'm sure none of you have ever called the OF fans, not born in Glasgow, glory hunters, or been saddened when they see bairns walking around Aberdeen in Celtic/Rangers or any other football top. If Barry Ferguson, Gary Caldwell, James McFadden, Darren Fletcher, Kristian Arron Commons or any Scotland player scores for MY country... I will celebrate with whoever is supporting the same country as me. Be they Hun, Tim, Jute... ANYONE. The club you support when watching International football means nothing. It's like the beer you prefer... It doesn't matter. I support Scotland. Whoever pulls on the top gets my 100% backing. Mon i'Scotland!

Guest rocket_scientist
How anyone, born in Scotland, feels the need, not to support Scotland is beyond me! I'm sure none of you have ever called the OF fans, not born in Glasgow, glory hunters, or been saddened when they see bairns walking around Aberdeen in Celtic/Rangers or any other football top. If Barry Ferguson, Gary Caldwell, James McFadden, Darren Fletcher, Kristian Arron Commons or any Scotland player scores for MY country... I will celebrate with whoever is supporting the same country as me. Be they Hun, Tim, Jute... ANYONE. The club you support when watching International football means nothing. It's like the beer you prefer... It doesn't matter. I support Scotland. Whoever pulls on the top gets my 100% backing. Mon i'Scotland!

The reason you're continually backing a loser is because you can not see past your jingoist nationalism.

Ask questions, like Jocky_Balboa did, instead of "supporting" blindly.

The reason you're continually backing a loser is because you can not see past your jingoist nationalism.

Ask questions, like Jocky_Balboa did, instead of "supporting" blindly.

I don't continually back a loser. I back the team belonging to the country I was born in. Much like I support the team belonging to the city I was born in. Although on Saturday, I did back a bunch of useless bar stewards. And I support Aberdeen the same way I do Scotland... Through thick and thin. I thought supporting "blindly" was what it was all about.

Guest rocket_scientist
I don't continually back a loser. I back the team belonging to the country I was born in. Much like I support the team belonging to the city I was born in. Although on Saturday, I did back a bunch of useless bar stewards. And I support Aberdeen the same way I do Scotland... Through thick and thin. I thought supporting "blindly" was what it was all about.

Excellent retort, and one that has shut this big gob up for once and for all...tonight.

You're right, pudgemobile. Support should be unconditional.

But when it goes pear-shaped, and the reasons for the pear-shapedness is pretty f u c k i n g obvious, we should reserve the right to ask questions.

Club first, then country. Love AFC. Scotland mibbee.

Burley is a fag. Butcher is an englishman.

I feel that Burley is an adequate manager, who can take us onward and lead us to, at least, qualifying for the World Cup. Butcher's appointment I don't agree with, much like the appointment of Sandy Clark at Aberdeen, but will it F U C K divert me from supporting my country, and belting out O' Flower of Scotland at any apt opportunity.

P.S I agree with everything J_B said... good points!

• Site Sponsor
Interesting thread, so I figure I'll give my tuppence worth...

Although I want us to do well in every sport, I have found myself being completely indifferent in the last year or so. The reason is simply because we as a nation are forever destined to under-achieve in all endeavours. It is this defeatist attitude, as well as our condoning mediocrity and rewarding glorious failure (in this life, failure is still failure, however "close" you come) that will see us eternally straddle the international wilderness.

Yet it doesn't have to be this way. Take Croatia, for example (Denmark and Sweden are similar examples, but let's go with Slaven Bilic's side for now). It has a population smaller than Scotland's (and indeed, has only been a fully autonomous, independent nation for less than 20yrs) and has been war-ravaged in recent years, yet the heroic achievements of it's football side since it declared independence in the 90's has been a joy to behold.

What's their secret? Well, it's too far-reaching and complex to go into full detail on a small forum like this, but the jist of it is that they have an incredible spirit and sense of patriotism - a real AURA about them. The Scotland side have that too, I hear you all say. Yet there is one crucial ingredient we sorely lack - BELIEF. We lack the belief that we are anything more than a perennial underdog who can hope for little else than to just make up the numbers and, hopefully, sneak in there. Croatia on the other hand, go into every battle with fixed bayonets, saying "we've been bombed to sh*t, but nothing and no-one scares us, so bring it on!". Subsequently, they continually punch above their weight.

Conversely, look at our results over the years when it mattered:

In 1978, we lost to Peru after missing a penalty to go 2 up. We then drew with Iran, but finished by beating a fantastic (the eventual runners-up) Holland side 3-2. 1974 and 1982 saw us go out on goal difference, while in 1990 we start by losing to Costa Rica, but then beating Sweden and taking Brazil to the wire!

More recently, we revived our 2006 campaign by drawing with Italy, then beating the Norwegians and Slovenians away, yet we also slipped up against, of all teams, Belarus. Whatever anyone else says, our failure to qualify for this year's Euros was our abysmal performance against Georgia, NOT our cruel last-minute defeat to Italy. Whether it's 1974 or 2008, we still cannot change our ways.

Darwin said that in order to evolve, a species must adapt to it's surroundings and that those who do not adapt, wither away by the Process of Natural Selection. We Scots have neither evolved nor adapted and have subsequently been in the international footballing wilderness for a decade. 10 years since we reached a major tournament? It will be ANOTHER 10 before we see another, at this rate. In order to reverse this trend, we have to change our whole way of thinking, to something resembling the Croatians. Adapt and evolve, or stagnate and die.

I won't hold my breath...

I think the spectrum on this spreads from totally fervent support for Scotland to who gives a..

In between is where most of us are.

I'm a Dons man first and foremost when it comes to fitba. On Saturday I was just settling down in front of Sky to watch the game at 1.55 when I only then realised it was on Bigot TV.

Now if that had been the Dons I would have firstly known which channel it was on, might have even been at the game and if by chance I couldn't watch it on TV would have run down to the pub.

I kept up to date with the score throughout the afternoon, was gutted when we lost, but the missus didn't even know there was a game on which is not possible when the Dons play; win, lose, draw or JC phvck up.

Sums me up I suppose.

Well unfortunatly im a bitter nut and i cannot switch of club rivalries, i cant let hatred lie for a weekend so i can hug my enemy and cheer on scawtland.

Back to business this weekend tho - bring on the wannabee weegie scum :)

I can understand it although not like that myself. Much in same way as almost everyone doesn't get behind Rangers and Celtic (Scottish clubs) in Europe.

I can understand it although not like that myself. Much in same way as almost everyone doesn't get behind Rangers and Celtic (Scottish clubs) in Europe.

Beggers belief how some people are so against scottish clubs in europe but yet are two faces enough to say that when scotland are involved club rivalries go out the window :)

Beggers belief how some people are so against scottish clubs in europe but yet are two faces enough to say that when scotland are involved club rivalries go out the window :hysterical:

Because Scotland are YOUR 'club' on the International scene. There's nothing two faced about it, Rangers/Celtic/all Scottish clubs are our rivals in club football, this is YOUR country we're talking about here. I understand why some choose to put Aberdeen before Scotland, I can't understand how someone can be as thick as to come out with sh*te like the above? You've even said you'd support an English team ahead of Scotland, an English team btw, that are the equivalent of Rangers down here.

Your hypocrisy would be laughable, if you actually had the ability to grasp it, which clearly you don't.

How am i a hypocrit? for saying i dont support scotland how does that make me a hypocrit.

Just you stick to cheering on wee barry and the other old firm vermin that play for scotland and i will stick to supporting aberdeen mmmmm'k.

How am i a hypocrit? for saying i dont support scotland how does that make me a hypocrit.
You waffle on about not supporting Scotland becasue it contains OF players, and would rather support the English OF ahead of Scotland. Prety hypocritical if you ask me. Like I said, I doubted you'd be able to grasp that, and you didn't.

I know your standing next to me :hysterical: i think the granite city flag is still there :laughing:

Best pre-season trip in ages, even after getting on the wrong train after the game :thumbup1: