Scotland V Norway

He's not even a Scot, he's Nigerian with a little Scots blood in him. It's really come to something when we're relying not just on English-born players like yesteryear, but Africans as well. Lower-league ones, too.

That's nonsense. Iwelumo was born and raised in Scotland. Born in Coatbridge and raised in Ayrshire I believe.... his accent is broad west-coast Scotland.

Iwelumo is as Scottish as the rest of us.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LondonScottish
That's nonsense. Iwelumo was born and raised in Scotland. Born in Coatbridge and raised in Ayrshire I believe.... his accent is broad west-coast Scotland.

Incorrect. He cannot possibly be Scottish if his surname doesn't begin with Mac or Mc.

:laughing:

My take on the game...

I would have went 4-4-2 from the start. Not necessarily playing Boyd was happy to go with Iwelumo as the morning papers suggested. Fine.

Found out were playing 4-5-1 instead with McFadden as a lone striker. Again fine, we might get a lucky goal or we can change it later in the game.

First half - Hopeless from Scotland. One shot at goal. I was laughing at the Scotland defenders constantly. Worse than Aberdeen for playing hopeful long balls. I've nothing against playing a few hopeful balls in each match but this is Aberdeen and now Scotland playing every single pass as a hopeful punt. McFadden was useless to these balls.

Second half - I'd have brought Boyd on but in Burley's defence his changes did swing the game in our favour and we had all the pressure (though not all the chances) after his subs.

That miss. What a shocker. If it was Boyd he would have ate the ball and regurgetated it in the net. Scotland would have won. Burley a hero. Sort of.

I was disappointed with Naysmith - he always wanted to pass rather than run with the ball, countless times there was no one near him but he refused to make a run. The opportunity created for Iwelumo is what I expect from him more. Maloney - not enough of a winger for me, contributed the square root of feck all to the team. Finally, Caldwell - an awful awful player, loves a long ball, infuriating and gives away many needless fouls.

Don't know why Broadfoot gets a hard time - he was pretty good.

I see this qualifier being a slow and painful death unfortunatly. Holland winning on Wednesday and Iceland drawing will see some renewed optimism.

oh and Scott Brown was immense. And qualifying or not has still to be won/lost in my opinion. All to play for. Our group is the one I'm tipping for worst runner up though which I believe doesn't make the play offs.

Have to disagree unless we go out to Holland and pick up 3 points in March we can kiss goodbye to qualification.

As for Scott Brown i do think he was the best player on the park. :hysterical:

If Boyd had been on then we would have won, end of story.

Given how easy the chance was you could say exactly the same thing about John Stewart or any other waster that doesn't deserve to be anywhere near the national team and it would be just as strong an argument. Fact of the matter is that almost all professional footballers have had a moment like that in their career and Iwelumo's just came at the worst possible time.

Guest rocket_scientist

Agree. Paisley, I was told. Broad west coast accent.

Guest rocket_scientist
Was in line with defender and ball was played across on ground and he ran onto it. Believe it or not the miss is a lot worse than it looks in the photo. Honestly don't recall a worse miss EVER!!

Agree: Can't recall a worse miss either.

Disagree: Was at least a foot offside when the cross came in.

I guess big Chris will be thge scapegoat, an awful miss, he did look lively though won a few headers. However the real culprit here is Burley, insane line up and formation for first half, looked better in second when we reverted to a 4-4-2 and players in correct positions, am still waiting to see what James Morrison offers v Barry Nicholson for example. sh*t game, poor atmosphere but not a disaster

My take on the game...

I would have went 4-4-2 from the start. Not necessarily playing Boyd was happy to go with Iwelumo as the morning papers suggested. Fine.

Found out were playing 4-5-1 instead with McFadden as a lone striker. Again fine, we might get a lucky goal or we can change it later in the game.

First half - Hopeless from Scotland. One shot at goal. I was laughing at the Scotland defenders constantly. Worse than Aberdeen for playing hopeful long balls. I've nothing against playing a few hopeful balls in each match but this is Aberdeen and now Scotland playing every single pass as a hopeful punt. McFadden was useless to these balls.

Second half - I'd have brought Boyd on but in Burley's defence his changes did swing the game in our favour and we had all the pressure (though not all the chances) after his subs.

That miss. What a shocker. If it was Boyd he would have ate the ball and regurgetated it in the net. Scotland would have won. Burley a hero. Sort of.

I was disappointed with Naysmith - he always wanted to pass rather than run with the ball, countless times there was no one near him but he refused to make a run. The opportunity created for Iwelumo is what I expect from him more. Maloney - not enough of a winger for me, contributed the square root of feck all to the team. Finally, Caldwell - an awful awful player, loves a long ball, infuriating and gives away many needless fouls.

Don't know why Broadfoot gets a hard time - he was pretty good.

I see this qualifier being a slow and painful death unfortunatly. Holland winning on Wednesday and Iceland drawing will see some renewed optimism.

He can only run up and down like a headless chicken, workrate yes, skill none. Any decent side would rip him a new one!

As for Iwelumo, that donkey shouldn't be anywhere near a Scotland shirt, being big and lumbering is not a qualification for an international footballer.

He can only run up and down like a headless chicken, workrate yes, skill none. Any decent side would rip him a new one!

As for Iwelumo, that donkey shouldn't be anywhere near a Scotland shirt, being big and lumbering is not a qualification for an international footballer.

Just my opinion that he offers far more to the team attacking wise and defensively than caldwell. What he offers attacking wise is better than some of our midfield players.

Just my opinion that he offers far more to the team attacking wise and defensively than caldwell. What he offers attacking wise is better than some of our midfield players.

To be fair to Broadfoot he's had two really good games for Scotland now. Perhaps they only seem good due to the shitness of his teammates but nevertheless he's done well.

A few points:-

Absolutely Boyd should have been on the park at some stage yesterday. He is the most natural goalscorer Scotland has produced in many a long year. Workrate possibly not the best, but what price a goalscorer?

Naysmith is no youngster anymore, and if you expect him to be running up and down the park like Alan Hutton then it isn't going to happen. He still had a reasonable game though.

Broadfoot is very ungamely but still managed to put in the best cross of the day, late on when both Fletcher and Iwelumu failed to get on the end of it. Easy for me to say, but I will anyway, Boyd would have been on the end of it and would have scored.

The Police campaign against drinking on busses, spoiled my day oot. We were stopped at the layby heading out of Dundee, just before the BP garage, and then again just befor we went accross the Forth Road Bridge. It was without doubt discriminatory, with checks also set up at Stirling so I heard. There was nothing on the M8 from Edinburgh to Glasgow, so it was clearly designed to target supporters travelling from the North, with busses from Edinburgh not targetted.

To be fair to Broadfoot he's had two really good games for Scotland now. Perhaps they only seem good due to the shitness of his teammates but nevertheless he's done well.

I think that says more about our midfield, esp the wide players, who failed to get to the byline and supply a decent cross. Maloney is not a bad player, but for a supposed nippy wee guy, he seems to be devoid of pace, and continually does these step overs slowing the game down rather than knocking the ball past a player and going for it. Broadfoot although not my favourite can at least do this, but he will be found out against the likes of Holland cos defensively he is murder (mind you so are Caldwell and Weir).

Guest LondonScottish
agree MT, Burley has got off lightly as most of the blame will be put at Iwelumo's hooves, Burely is out his depth, I would cut our losses now and sack the muppet

And get who?