Aberdeen Put Paton Loan Deal On Hold

Aberdeen FC puts Paton loan deal on hold

Michael needed for CIS Cup clash

ABERDEEN FC have delayed plans to send striker Michael Paton out on loan.

Aberdeen FC boss Craig Brown confirmed four Scottish clubs have confirmed an interest in signing Paton for the rest of the season.

But Paton has been told he will be needed for this weekend

Paton doesn't seem to want to change the attitude and is just staying at the same level as before

Not sure how you can say that as we have seen very little evidence of him for a while. Maybe he has knuckled down.

Brown was certainly effusive with his praise of his performance in the closed doors friendly recently.

Paton has talent for sure, we just need him to realise it and work on it. Similar to the way Maguire applied himself a year or so back.

Paton was asked to go on loan to another club, he didn't want to - he'd much rather collect at wage at Aberdeen for doing f**k all.

I don't think Paton can get much better, I saw with Maguire he could get better - I don't believe for one second Paton can. (I'd like to be wrong with that though).

Paton was by all accounts the best player at Brechin not so long ago. He also had man of the match performances for us against Rangers and Hibs, and when he's on top of his game, which clearly he has not been for some time, he is more than capable of doing a job for us.

Personally I don't see the point in him going to a team like Forfar, where he'll get kicked to shreds and suffer the hoofball 'tactics' of the vile hun b*stard Campbell.

I'd like to see him loaned, if it happens at all, to a club who at least play the game the right way. Partick sounds like a good shout, Buchanan having been sold recently, so a few months there could be the making of him for next season.

But if Brown feels he can contribute here, I'm right behind him on that.

Paton was asked to go on loan to another club, he didn't want to - he'd much rather collect at wage at Aberdeen for doing f**k all.

I don't think Paton can get much better, I saw with Maguire he could get better - I don't believe for one second Paton can. (I'd like to be wrong with that though).

He was asked to go out on loan due to a personality clash. To be fair to him why should he? He played a massive bulk of Aberdeens games last season and by all accounts was one of the better ones. So why should he down grade himself to the second or first division after already proving he can keep up with SPL standard. Twice he's been on loan at Brechin, finished top goalscorer both seasons I believe.

We haven't seen much of Paton what so ever this season to judge how he has came on. If Brown feels he doesn't want him to go on loan then I for one trust his judgement.

Paton was asked to go on loan to another club, he didn't want to

One more thing - none of us know this for certain. The whole issue was shrouded in innuendo.

My theory is more that McGhee hung a young player out to dry to mask his own failings. Our ex-manager was very adept at shifting blame and pointing the finger and a number of our fans bought into that all too easily.

Pity the last two years of posts fae on here have disapeared. Some clowns on here were argueing with me last summer that Paton was a better option than Maguire!

Pity the last two years of posts fae on here have disapeared. Some clowns on here were argueing with me last summer that Paton was a better option than Maguire!

They are both good players, Maguire obviously has developed a good bit more and now takes the responsibility and thrives on it.

This will come too with Paton, provided we all believe in him.

Now that we have a proper management team, I do wish folk would lay off our youngsters. Think how you would feel to see your own supporters constantly sniping about you if you were a loon just out of teenage years?

It helps nobody. Paton will come good for us for certain, in the same way Maguire has.

He was asked to go out on loan due to a personality clash. To be fair to him why should he? He played a massive bulk of Aberdeens games last season and by all accounts was one of the better ones. So why should he down grade himself to the second or first division after already proving he can keep up with SPL standard. Twice he's been on loan at Brechin, finished top goalscorer both seasons I believe.

We haven't seen much of Paton what so ever this season to judge how he has came on. If Brown feels he doesn't want him to go on loan then I for one trust his judgement.

Scored 4 first time and 1 second time at Brechin.

If Paton was anything like as good a prospect as folk on here believe how come he never got near the Scotland under21 squad even when in his wee purple patcgh with us a while ago?

Take it he was being mis-managed by Billy Stark as well?

What are you talking about?

He's never been a regular for Aberdeen so it stands to reason he would never be included in the under 21 squad.

Stark could hardly have mis-managed him if he's never had him in his squad.

He's a prospect at the moment, but still a player we should hang on to in my opinion.

Being constantly negative about our young players serves what purpose? To prove right a point you made 2 years back?

Let it go min, and get behind your players.

I just think he got the blunt end of the sword. Wasn't given the right games to prove himself, fell out with previous manager and in general he has the attitude of a mentrating 13-year-old girl.

He needs to grow up, get some experience i.e. go out on loan like Maguire and in general listen to what the management have to say!

Have never ever rated him and regard him as a total waste of a wage.

His level, I believe, is Partick or Dunfermline or somewhere like that. Get shot.

With rgeards to the U21 and him not playing enough to get picked, Maguire wasn't playing that often for Aberdeen either and got farmed out but still managed to get a gig for them.

Have never ever rated him and regard him as a total waste of a wage.

His level, I believe, is Partick or Dunfermline or somewhere like that. Get shot.

With rgeards to the U21 and him not playing enough to get picked, Maguire wasn't playing that often for Aberdeen either and got farmed out but still managed to get a gig for them.

He CAN play at this level, because he's proven it before.

What we really need to do is to be encouraging him, you know actual support like we're meant to be doing.

Telling him he's sh*te will end up a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Paton did get a decent run last term, he had about 20 starts. He had a couple good games but was regularly mediocre, which made him something of a stand out in a dreadful side. In a better side I don't think he'd have had much of a look in. I think in that time he showed some potential and I think he could have a career in the SPL but that's by no means a certainty yet.

Paton is a little older than most seem to remember, he's nearly 22 now. He's not made that big an impact yet and he needs to get games under his belt to prove himself. To be honest, I'm nae even sure where I'd fit him into our team, he's no where near being a starting striker at this level yet and despite of lack of width Brown hasn't given him a role there yet either.

The Aberdeen team Paton will need to force himself into next season will be considerably better than the Aberdeen side of the previous 18 months so he really needs to make the most of the rest of the season.

I hope he gets a loan sorted out soon, ideally within the SPL.

Paton did get a decent run last term, he had about 20 starts. He had a couple good games but was regularly mediocre, which made him something of a stand out in a dreadful side. In a better side I don't think he'd have had much of a look in. I think in that time he showed some potential and I think he could have a career in the SPL but that's by no means a certainty yet.

Paton is a little older than most seem to remember, he's nearly 22 now. He's not made that big an impact yet and he needs to get games under his belt to prove himself. To be honest, I'm nae even sure where I'd fit him into our team, he's no where near being a starting striker at this level yet and despite of lack of width Brown hasn't given him a role there yet either.

The Aberdeen team Paton will need to force himself into next season will be considerably better than the Aberdeen side of the previous 18 months so he really needs to make the most of the rest of the season.

Aye, an SPL team would be ideal, but I also think Partick would suit him now that they've lost Buchanan, and he could play without too much pressure on his shoulders there.

And a big welcome to thestooge :cheers:

20 starts last season, really?

Why is everyone wanting him out on loan when Brown has clearly said he doesn't want him to go out on loan?

I think he will learn more under Brown & Knox than he will by going out on loan AGAIN.

He CAN play at this level, because he's proven it before.

What we really need to do is to be encouraging him, you know actual support like we're meant to be doing.

Telling him he's sh*te will end up a self-fulfilling prophecy.

When did I say he was sh*te? I just don't think he is good enough for Aberdeen, maybe a Hamilton or Dundee or Partick or a team of that irk.

Why would it make any difference if I say he isn't good enough? Doesn't he have enough confidence in his own ability? I am sure there are people out there who don't rate me in my job but I don't give a f**k what they think, so why should he, me?

I assume that you are Paton, or his family or good mate that you are taking all this so personal. Even if you are, won't change my view that I don't believe he is good enough for the dons and we should get shot to free up a wage for getting a full back or midfielder in.

Hmmm, Partick wouldn't be my first pick, they are managed by McCall after all.

I dinna believe that Brown wants him to stay here in the short term. I'm pretty confident Brown would be delighted to have at least some of his wage to play with. Paton hasn't featured much at all under Brown and in the fleeting appearances he has made he's not really impressed.

Personally, I think Brown wants him for the ICT game as we wont have another new body in by then and will then keep him in the match squad/party for the semi to show him that he could be involved in big games at the national stadium in future if he sorts himself out a bit and proves himself. Total speculation on my part like.

For the record, Paton started 22 league games last year and appeared a further 13 times from the bench, he scored 3 league goals.

When did I say he was sh*te? I just don't think he is good enough for Aberdeen, maybe a Hamilton or Dundee or Partick or a team of that irk.

Why would it make any difference if I say he isn't good enough? Doesn't he have enough confidence in his own ability? I am sure there are people out there who don't rate me in my job but I don't give a f**k what they think, so why should he, me?

I assume that you are Paton, or his family or good mate that you are taking all this so personal. Even if you are, won't change my view that I don't believe he is good enough for the dons and we should get shot to free up a wage for getting a full back or midfielder in.

Never min, I'm as far removed from a tim weegie fae Greenock as you could possibly imagine, and I have no connection with him, my interest is strictly fitba related.

I was'nt specifically referring to you when I said folk telling him he's sh*te won't help so don't worry, it's more of a general observation about the majority view from Dons fans in general.

I tend to think he'll come good for us yet.

For the record, Paton started 22 league games last year and appeared a further 13 times from the bench, he scored 3 league goals.

I'm amazed by that, I would never have thought he played so much last season, I actually think the guy has got potential, and if was managed properly, which he will be now, could become a good player for us. He's rather strange in that he can be very effective in a match, and the next time you see him hes a total waste of space, think the problem is in his head rather than any lack of ability.

20 starts last season, really?

Why is everyone wanting him out on loan when Brown has clearly said he doesn't want him to go out on loan?

I think he will learn more under Brown & Knox than he will by going out on loan AGAIN.

24 starts and further 15 as sub according to Redweb - i never though it was that much either.

Brown is saying he wants to put him out on loan but with 9 games in 28 days he is going to delay any move as we will need cover through this period.

Hmmm, Partick wouldn't be my first pick, they are managed by McCall after all.

I dinna believe that Brown wants him to stay here in the short term. I'm pretty confident Brown would be delighted to have at least some of his wage to play with. Paton hasn't featured much at all under Brown and in the fleeting appearances he has made he's not really impressed.

Personally, I think Brown wants him for the ICT game as we wont have another new body in by then and will then keep him in the match squad/party for the semi to show him that he could be involved in big games at the national stadium in future if he sorts himself out a bit and proves himself. Total speculation on my part like.

I wasn't arguing the fact just surprised by it