Kilt Debate

terenceandphilip

Aye, very true. Many years ago I worked with this couple who got married, McLeod was the name, so he had a tartan he could have legitimately worn, but no, his mrs to be had him wearing a colour of tartan that co-ordinated with the wedding party. f**k that.

Have you seen McLeod tartan though?!? :o But aye, typical bird. When my mate got married (to an English bird), she picked the kilt outfits for the groom and best man (who was my bro) and the Prince Charlie and waistcoat were navy, gads.

I love my kilt, wear it to Scotland games home and away (and the Dons away trips in Europe I've been on). Always wear it from leaving the house until I get home and always proud to do so. Full kilt outfit for wedding etc is the business though, nothing can touch it.

Aye, very true. Many years ago I worked with this couple who got married, McLeod was the name, so he had a tartan he could have legitimately worn, but no, his mrs to be had him wearing a colour of tartan that co-ordinated with the wedding party. f**k that.

A real pet hate of mine, this, the recent tawdry obsession with having everyone in the wedding party wearing the same kilt so the f**king thing looks co-ordinated. It's chavvy and it has to stop. The whole bloody point of kilts is that they all look different. Anyone who tries to force me into anything other than my ain kilt (Duncan, since you ask, a fine tartan) is getting telt.

I dont like them one bit and have not / would not wear one.

The whole kilt / tartan thing is a relatively recent invention, mainly so kilt makers could make a killing.

The kilt is an english modification of the plaid, which was exclusively highland dress (not scottish dress). The modification was to equip the Highland Regiments of the British Army, whom could obviously not wear plaids as their red coats had to be clearly visible.

So, unless you have specific highland ancestry, or have served in a highland regiment, the kilt is not actually part of your heritage.

The claiming the garment for the whole country is a cynical modern phenomenon, with the aim of making money for kilt makers. Same goes for tartan, with the vast majority of these being of modern invention.

So, really, the garment means absolutely nothing to me, in terms of my own identity and heritage (7/8 lowland scots, 1/8 irish).

I also dislike the reactions they tend to illicit from people - total strangers - and the typical behaviour of their wearers, especially after a few drinks ("ooh, I bet you're wondering what ive got on under this, eh? eh? Did I mention I was Scottish? Did I? etc").

In short, I view them as something of an attention seeking garmet, in addition to their bogus identity.

They also encourage foreigners to view Scots as some kind of hilarious "novelty identity" which really pisses me off. I dont like it when meeting people abroad, the first thing they do, on learning you are from Scotland, is demand to know where your kilt is, or mimick bagpipes or whatever. This kind of tartan tat reduces our national identity to a one dimensional gimmick. We are a great nation, in terms of our massive contribution to the world, and yet the first thing people think of us is that we dont wear any pants under our skirts. Brilliant, eh?

And because some guys will always be going about inviting folk to lift their kilts, this gives the idea that all people in kilts appreciate this kind of behaviour - another reason I avoid them. I have no desire to be suddenly sexually assaulted by some f**k-wit of an evening.

You do not see (for example) the Germans flocking to the football all wearing lederhosen, so why do we do it with kilts here?

And even though I have great legs, (if I say so myself), I think a man looks pretty stupid in a skirt.

Sorry for the harsh review, but i'm firmly of the opinion that Gentlemen wear trousers.

I await the slings and arrows lol

I will be getting a kilt for my 21st :)

Birds love a kilt. If you wear a kilt on a wedding/night out in somewhere thats not Scotland (at a non football event) then its almost guaranteed you'll get your hole.

most definitely

Even at the football... Last time we played the Dutch in dam I headed up with the kilt on. 3 rubs of the balls and 1 lay later I jumped back on the train to den haag a lot happier than I would've been after that result and a pair of jeans on.

Only worn one twice, to my own and sister's weddings. They are surprisingly comfortable, and think they look ace :thumbup1:

Ok but when was the second time? :itch-chin:

Sorry just kidding, couldn't resist it.

I dont like them one bit and have not / would not wear one.

The whole kilt / tartan thing is a relatively recent invention, mainly so kilt makers could make a killing.

The kilt is an english modification of the plaid, which was exclusively highland dress (not scottish dress). The modification was to equip the Highland Regiments of the British Army, whom could obviously not wear plaids as their red coats had to be clearly visible.

So, unless you have specific highland ancestry, or have served in a highland regiment, the kilt is not actually part of your heritage.

The claiming the garment for the whole country is a cynical modern phenomenon, with the aim of making money for kilt makers. Same goes for tartan, with the vast majority of these being of modern invention.

So, really, the garment means absolutely nothing to me, in terms of my own identity and heritage (7/8 lowland scots, 1/8 irish).

I also dislike the reactions they tend to illicit from people - total strangers - and the typical behaviour of their wearers, especially after a few drinks ("ooh, I bet you're wondering what ive got on under this, eh? eh? Did I mention I was Scottish? Did I? etc").

In short, I view them as something of an attention seeking garmet, in addition to their bogus identity.

They also encourage foreigners to view Scots as some kind of hilarious "novelty identity" which really pisses me off. I dont like it when meeting people abroad, the first thing they do, on learning you are from Scotland, is demand to know where your kilt is, or mimick bagpipes or whatever. This kind of tartan tat reduces our national identity to a one dimensional gimmick. We are a great nation, in terms of our massive contribution to the world, and yet the first thing people think of us is that we dont wear any pants under our skirts. Brilliant, eh?

And because some guys will always be going about inviting folk to lift their kilts, this gives the idea that all people in kilts appreciate this kind of behaviour - another reason I avoid them. I have no desire to be suddenly sexually assaulted by some f**k-wit of an evening.

You do not see (for example) the Germans flocking to the football all wearing lederhosen, so why do we do it with kilts here?

And even though I have great legs, (if I say so myself), I think a man looks pretty stupid in a skirt.

Sorry for the harsh review, but i'm firmly of the opinion that Gentlemen wear trousers.

I await the slings and arrows lol

This argument again eh?

& by your last comment I can tell you know you are going to start a debate.

The Kilt is a lot older than you say or seem to think, as in the full size kilt.

It was shortened yes but so what, things evolve, that's the nature of things.

Kilts are like it or not part of some peoples heritage.

Yes it's been adopted by folk over the years. No problems with that either.

They are for special occasions now more than not but the history of the kilt was to be worn at all times & for practical reasons & recognition of clans etc.

Some Clans were given names from the kilts they wore by outsiders (or so I have been told but not sure on this) the Greens for example were called the greens because of the Tartan they wore.

I wear the kilt admittedly mainly on special occasions but will also sometimes just put it on for a normal night out because I think it's a really smart look.

Always wear it for weddings or any black tie type event, wear it for Burns Night, St Andrews & yes also for International football because I see this as a special occasion.

The bottom line is, no Fkr has any right to tell me not to wear my kilts, or when I should & shouldn't wear them.

In the past they tried to stop the kilt being worn but they failed & some are still at it in other ways but all I can say to them is :swear:

• 1 year later...

A real pet hate of mine, this, the recent tawdry obsession with having everyone in the wedding party wearing the same kilt so the f**king thing looks co-ordinated. It's chavvy and it has to stop. The whole bloody point of kilts is that they all look different. Anyone who tries to force me into anything other than my ain kilt (Duncan, since you ask, a fine tartan) is getting telt.

Well that'll make 2 in the Duncan clan on this board. I say we take over....

As much as eh hate kilts, if eh was single and living here, my kilt would be on for every social event possible. Norwegian burds get wet at 20 paces for a kilt :cool:

Work colleagues had an Xmas night out mid December is Stavanger and were refused entry from near on every pub due to wearing the kilt.

I put at least 6 or 7 past sexual conquests down to wearing a kilt. Can be a wonderful pulling tool, especially when abroad.

Special mention to the absolutey beautiful Ukrainian quine I pulled in Dnipro :notworthy:

I've worn mine to weddings, black tie dos, Scotland games and Staggers.

If you wear it for more than a couple of days it's a pain in the arse but overall I enjoy wearing one :scarf: