The Open Championship

yeah jimenez is great guy good fun and doesnt take himself to seriously hope clarke wins he has hit it the best and missed so many short putts your fiver in the post..........

You get too many golfers who take themselves too seriously, Poulter is one I think, get that vibe off of him everytime I hear him speak or read his tweets.

Some lovely shots being played here by Jimenez and Clarke, joy to watch.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You get too many golfers who take themselves too seriously, Poulter is one I think, get that vibe off of him everytime I hear him speak or read his tweets.

Some lovely shots being played here by Jimenez and Clarke, joy to watch.

It's worth tuning in for Jimenez' beer belly alone. He must train every other part of his body just to accentuate his gut. Impressive.

Lots of beer and hard work that.

yeah jimenez is great guy good fun and doesnt take himself to seriously hope clarke wins he has hit it the best and missed so many short putts your fiver in the post..........

Speaking of cash what is the sort of take home for a finish like yourself this weekend?

I'm sure it's in the public domain and apologies for asking if it isn't. Just curious as to what you're likely to get for making it through the four days.

What does the winner get as prize money also?

There's no value in a bet that's lost you money. And the only reason i posted this was because you seemed to take great pleasure in mocking Roberto's bets while ironically your own "value" bet has been just as bad. Coming on here with your billy big time "i know it all" arrogant attitude has really backfired.

Oh dear, oh dear, oh deary deary me. You really must be the bookies friend.

Professional gamblers never back anything unless there is 'value', ie. the odds are wrong, and that is why they are professionals. Rocket is absolutely bang on, and while I may have had more than the odd disagreement with him now and again, he clearly understands how betting works, and how in the long run you win, and that is by betting when the odds are not just correct, but erring in your favour.

Oh dear, oh dear, oh deary deary me. You really must be the bookies friend.

Professional gamblers never back anything unless there is 'value', ie. the odds are wrong, and that is why they are professionals. Rocket is absolutely bang on, and while I may have had more than the odd disagreement with him now and again, he clearly understands how betting works, and how in the long run you win, and that is by betting when the odds are not just correct, but erring in your favour.

Yeah, didna understand the bit you highlighted either!

If Rangers were playing gash and St Mirren were steam rolling everyone yet still had odds of 10/1 to beat the Huns that'd be the best value compared to The Huns being 1/3 whether the Huns win or not.

Yeah, didna understand the bit you highlighted either!

If Rangers were playing gash and St Mirren were steam rolling everyone yet still had odds of 10/1 to beat the Huns that'd be the best value compared to The Huns being 1/3 whether the Huns win or not.

LOL. A' ken min, I hae nae idea aboot betting. Your example is laughable and bears no comparison to anything that could happen in the real world.

I'm well aware what a value bet is Fatshaft. My point was that it makes no difference if Lawrie was 10/1 or 500/1, the bookies won on this one.

There's no value in a bet that's lost you money.

Dinna think you are min. Whether the bet wins or loses doesn't change whether there was value in it.

Lawrie WAS the best value bet of the week, but he has been really really unlucky with his draw and weather....but thats golf.

he was never a 300/1 shot and I know many guys backed him, I really think he will win another tourny this year, id get on him for the dunhill(or whatever its acalled these days) once he finds his putting, i think hes not far way.

i think you'll see darren have a mare tomorrow.....i hope not, but I think we will see someone in and around the lvl par coming through to nick it.....roll on tomorrow

on another note, RS is talking sense (as always)

Yes could well be, great score today when out in the worst of the weather. Quite a few Yanks right up there in conditions you wouldn't have thought suited them.

Mark James just came out with a belter. "I'm glad Jim Nantz has gone away as he was getting quite smug with all these Americans at the top end of the leaderboard."

Did anyone hear the comment James made yesterday about if Clarke wins NI ppl might stop fighting? Hes a class A nugget.

Thank you for the common sense and the support, guys. To be fair to jaws, he's obviously never devoted great hours to studying betting and odds and won't be familiar with the concepts we're talking about. He's nae a bad c**t. That roberto though, true to form, fills the forum with quantity after quantity, disputing EVERYTHING I say (and tup, as he admits) without ever offering an original thought of his own.

For clarification jaws, an example. Professional bookies including the high street use betfair. If they can buy a golfer (or a horse or a fitba team) at unrealistically high value, they can lay in their own shops at higher than average value and attract a significant amount of backers without ever creating an exposure before marking down to good odds. There are three horses in a fitba match but you'll never get 2/1 for the home, away AND draw. It's all about mathematics and for serious betters, finding value. Every serious better has more than a dozen internet accounts and uses the betting exchanges on almost every bet proposition. When you work at it hard enough, you learn to find the 9/5 away, the 8/13 home to back or the draw at 13/5 and then lay it off to guarantee profit or in my case, not being a serious gambler myself, just sticking with the value back, irrespective of whether personally, you think it will win or not. Capiche?

Cool. I think i've just been misunderstood. :laughing:

You guys are obviously bigger gamblers than i'll ever be though. I'm not really a gambler at all if i'm being homest. Picked a few winners in my time, the National winner this year for

I think Hazel's apology was mentioned in fact. Can you remember the exact words? I couldn't get from the article what the fuss was about.

Andrew Cotter asked James how it would be if Clarke won the open after the wins of McDowell & McIroy in the US Open. He said it would be fantastic they might even stop fighting with each other if it happened.

James made a crass comment at last year's Open at St Andrews. Andrew Cotter was talking about Scotland's Homecoming celebrations and James said "Once these celebrations are over maybe the Scots will stay in Scotland". Despite the show being fronted by a Scot and the recipient of the comment being a Scot, nothing was said but it was a comment that could be deemed as semi racist.

Yorkshiremen are renowned for their dryness of wit but James is very very dry.

Much as I would love it to be Jimenez who comes through (if Clarke doesn't hold on), I'm not seeing the Mickelson's, Glover's or Love's coming through with an exceptional number.

It's the Open. Anything can happen and with so many within striking distance, it could be one of the best ever.

You mean Mickelson, Glover or Love I take it? I'd have thought better of you Rocket tan to adopt the Sky Sport goons way of describing singular people.

Clarke will win it. :applause:

Lawrie will finish last. :cry: