• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

can someone help..

yesterday i put a couple of quid on kim @ 100/1 e/w at william hills

i thought they paid out for the top 5 ?

i have just been told its top 4 ??

My online bookie was paying out for top 3 for in-play betting today, it'll depend on who you bet with but doubt they'll pay out for top 5 halfway through tournament.

I have an awful feeling that you could be right and like you, I hope we're wrong. My suspicion comes not from his shank on the beach at the 2nd at Troon in 97 when he was last in real contention for a major (possibly the only time he was final group) but from the dodginess of his putting.

Yesterday was incredibly good tee to green and he's identified that his attitude has been superb this week. But can he maintain it when it really matters when the consequences can't be any higher? His awful misses from short range are history but how will his confidence be over the next clutch 6 or 7 footer? Even a couple of long putts this week have been horrific, wafting at them and getting them very wrong both in pace and line.

Dustin Johnson is a formidable opponent who's own putting woes only last year were so destructive, I wondered if they might be fatal to him ever reaching his massive potential. He's going to do some extraordinary things today and how Darren reacts to Dustin's mega-long drives - hitting in wedges where Clarke has a medium iron in his hand - is another mental pressure that he's going to have to deal with.

Norman's last Rd 64 here was the greatest last Rd in an Open I've ever seen. Much as I would love it to be Jimenez who comes through (if Clarke doesn't hold on), I'm not seeing the Mickelson's, Glover's or Love's coming through with an exceptional number. This may be Rickie Fowler's time - these japs have cold blood y'know - but Johnson is rightly favourite and it would not surprise me if his 3.8 current price is the max it will be all day. If he fast starts which he's more than capable of and he's going to be real hungry after McDowell and Kaymer in 2010, then it might all be a procession coming home.

It's the Open. Anything can happen and with so many within striking distance, it could be one of the best ever.

im so glad he won, thats for sure, but was concenred about his mental strength, but im so chuffed for the man, a wee tear in the eye whilst raisng a small toast....when mickleson went on his charge, I thought here we go, but once Dustin hit that god awful shot at the 14th, it was never in doubt.

It's just sheer luck on the day that determines the winners of these competitions, random, like the Grand National, a bit of a lottery.

There's very little skill involved, it's like saying you're brilliant at the roulette machine, when in fact you're a hostage to fortune.

So anyone can win, making the odds a nonsense, and the bookies a fortune as fools try and predict it.

Just top 4 after the cut mate. Smaller field...

gutted - i was celebrating when fowler didnt birdie the last to mean he was tied 5th

i got some money back from dustin though !!

better than getting poked in the eye with a sh*tty stick i guess...

It's just sheer luck on the day that determines the winners of these competitions, random, like the Grand National, a bit of a lottery.

There's very little skill involved, it's like saying you're brilliant at the roulette machine, when in fact you're a hostage to fortune.

So anyone can win, making the odds a nonsense, and the bookies a fortune as fools try and predict it.

:fishing:

Prediciting who'll win The Open is like a lottery though.

Look at the past winners, who'd have predicted, Lawrie, Curtis, Hamilton, Clarke, Oostehuizen...?

All otherwise pish.

Any of us could win it if the conditions were right.

Golf is a game of pure luck and nothing else, the best players are simply the luckiest ones, which is why the Irish have a fine tradition of gowfing.

All otherwise pish.

Any of us could win it if the conditions were right.

Golf is a game of pure luck and nothing else, the best players are simply the luckiest ones, which is why the Irish have a fine tradition of gowfing.

When it comes to picking a winner, it's got a lot to do with luck.

if you're talking about ability then it's nonsense.

There's luck if a ball bounces onto the green or into a bunker, but there's no luck when a guy smashes it 300+ yards splitting the fairway or holes a 25 foot putt, you need skill for that.