9/11

granite sheep

Just watchin the coverage of the 9/11 anniversary on the news channels just now. Can't believe that it's been a decade now since the atrocitys, but to be bloody honest its not been a good one. Just saw some of the excerpts from the National Geographic docu on Bush's reaction, and well, Dod looks even more of a bam now than back then. Anyway, I wanted to start this thread one to remember the victims, but also to share your experiences of that dark day. So anyway, to get the ball rolling..

Eor my experience of 9/11, I was at work in a warehouse loading pallets, when it came over the radio that a plane had hit the WTC. Me and the lads were like, "eh, must have been a fuckup from a light aircraft." Then the second one hit, and it came on the air that it was a big plane, maybe an airliner. The warehouse radio got turned up, but abidy kept working awa, a few muttered fit the fuck's or so. Then we heard that the Pentagon got hit, followed by the collapse of the first tower, then the second. You could have heard a pin drop. The news that a FOURTH plane had gone missing had us seriously shitting ourselves. Our supervisor was more or less catatonic, we later found out that his brother (might have been his cousin) worked at the WTC, however we later found that he was in building 6 or 7. Anyway, I've got my phone goin mad the whole time, I finally answer, and it's me mum, who works in the news room of the local paper. She's watched the whole damn thing and is scared shitless. She wasn't the only one, I was convinced for days that this was it, end of days, the balloon goin up, etc, etc. At the least, I just knew the world would never be the same again, and for the very worst reasons.

I had a day off work on September 11th to study for a professional exam I was sitting on September 12th. I was in my living room settling down to study for the afternoon when the news broke on the tv. Safe to say I spent the next several hours gawping open jawed at the tv and not a single bit of studying got done. Suffice to say I then failed the exam the next day.

Aye it's incredible right enough to think it's 10 years gone by already. I had just got home from college as had a half day and stuck on the telly then went through to the kitchen. When i came through i saw a building on fire and straight away i was like "That's the World Trade Centre, WTF?" And then the 2nd plane hit the tower and i just about dropped my mug of tea. I basically just froze with shock. Never believed we'd ever see this sort of terrorism at this sort of scale, especially in America.

I had a day off work on September 11th to study for a professional exam I was sitting on September 12th. I was in my living room settling down to study for the afternoon when the news broke on the tv. Safe to say I spent the next several hours gawping open jawed at the tv and not a single bit of studying got done. Suffice to say I then failed the exam the next day.

:nono: that's what happens when you leave revision till the last minute.

I was on work experience as part of my post grad. Boss had come into my room and told me had happened but we didn't realise it was a terrorist attack at the time. Finished up, got in car and phoned my mum who told me it was a terrorist attack and one building had fallen down. As she was telling me the story the other one fell down. Truly horrific event that changed the course of history for the worse and has made the world a much unsafer place to be.

At the time I ran a trade counter and I remember it being particularly quiet. Mrs O, who was on maternity leave at the time, phoned me to say a plane had hit the WTC and she was watching it on the news. We went through and put the TV on in our showroom, almost instantly at the point when the second plane hit. Everyone was just in stunned silence, in a did you see that, what the f#ck is going on kind of way.

Definitely the "where were you when Kennedy was shot, when man landed on the moon" etc, moment for me as I will never ever forget that day as long as I live.

I was in 5th year at secondry school on that day. I had no idea something had happened until I get home at around 4pm or so. I went up to my room and turned on the TV to see footage of one of the towers collapsing. As soon as I saw that I ran down the stairs to tell my older sister.

I find it amazing that I didn't know anything about it until that moment. Today given the way the technology and the internet has developed its almost impossible not to be aware almost instantly when something like this happens.

Was cracking tv that day and night, you've got to admire the way they pulled it off.

I was in a crap weekly production meeting, even when we were told what was happening the meeting continued without a blip, the World could have been at war for all we knew but getting the machine shop schedule in place was more important to the feckers in that meeting.

• Admin

I think I was in 3rd or 4th year at the time and got home around 3:50 after the last class of the day in physics. Switched on the TV and thought it was affa weird BBC world wide was on BBC One.

Think I saw both towers collapse live but could be mistaken. Just remember thinking I was witnessing history in the making.

I think I was in 3rd or 4th year at the time and got home around 3:50 after the last class of the day in physics. Switched on the TV and thought it was affa weird BBC world wide was on BBC One.

Think I saw both towers collapse live but could be mistaken. Just remember thinking I was witnessing history in the making.

You are mistaken as we were in very close proximity to one another that day.

http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/embassy-protesters-burn-us-flag

No surprise there. Wish the cops would just shoot these fuckers :angry2: :angry2: :angry2:

Respect to the muslim guy form Glasgow though in that story who spoke out against them though.

What an embarrassment to this country. Whilst I wouldn't deny anyone the right to protest, the fact they do it there just shows them up to be utter scumbugs and an abomination. Complete lack of respect, fucking ignorant arseholes. :angry2:

I was working. I remember watching it on tv in the office in London. After 10 mins or so someone said 'nothing to see here...back to work'....everyone ignored him. It was then I realised I was working in the City of London and we might be a target. However, being British and used to terrorism, nobody panicked. I phoned home to tell my mum I was ok.

I was working, and tbh didn't really know what the World Trade Centres were. Someone showed me at work what was going on - i remember going home and watching the tv for days.

Went to 'Ground Zero' in 2002 and couldnt actually believe the scale of the place. Been a few times since and will go back in December to see the progress when i am there.

My current other half (not at the time) stayed in New York at that time, and had been up to the restaurant at the top of the Trade Centre on the 7th Sept 2001.

We've been watching it most of the day. Looks like a fitting memorial imo, and the plans for the new buildings look impressive.

RIP to all involved and thoughts to the families.

i was wprking as chauffeur in london. was to collect some bloke from the atomic energy council and take him to heathrow. he told me what was happening and that he wasnt travelling now.

as i drove back into central london the streets were empty apart from some folk looking into shop windows watching the pictures. i gave up work and went home.

the following week they had a minutes silence for the victims, i was in trafalgar square where everything just stopped, people turned cars off, stood outside there cars in silence. i have never and will probably never hear trafalgar square so quiet. really brought home the devestation people were feeling.

I was in my 5th year Physics class when we got told about a plane crash. By the time I got home I watched it all kicking off on tv thinking there was going to be a massive world war. Was pretty scary and shocking. Can't believe a decade has passed. Went to NYC for the first time in 2009 and was at the site and the museum. Really sad and you can sense just being there how hellish it must have been

I was in my 5th year Physics class when we got told about a plane crash. By the time I got home I watched it all kicking off on tv thinking there was going to be a massive world war. Was pretty scary and shocking. Can't believe a decade has passed. Went to NYC for the first time in 2009 and was at the site and the museum. Really sad and you can sense just being there how hellish it must have been

One of my friends mum had the same thoughts. She was thinking this was the start of a world war and we'd all get conscripted and stuff like that. You can look back and think how stupid it sounds now but back then no one really knew what would happen next.

One of my friends mum had the same thoughts. She was thinking this was the start of a world war and we'd all get conscripted and stuff like that. You can look back and think how stupid it sounds now but back then no one really knew what would happen next.

I must admit, that was my first thought also. Not necessarily the old fashioned war stuff. But certainly something significant. And at the end of the day, we've had 2 wars and 10 years later we are still at it. Twice as long as any of the world wars. And no victor and no end in sight.

Aye, I was convinced that the balloon was gonna go up at any second for a couple of weeks. Even more so wi the bams in charge o the USA at the time, for a while there it seemed that Colin Powell was the only sane man in a position of power in the US government, everyone else had turned into raving bloodthirsty maniacs. Then again, having your country attacked in such a horrible way would do that to your collective psyche

Aye, this is true, Cheney and Rumsfeld in particular were notable bams, IIRC they featured heavily in both Dod Bush Senior and Ronnie Reagan's governments. Is it nae Cheney that's to do wi the whole Halliburton thing when we invaded Iraq only for said firm to get all the contracts for reconstruction. And it was either him or Rumsfeld that had a lot to do wi the Blackwater mercenaries, I mean Security Contractors, and the shit they got up to in both Iraq and Afghanistan