At Least 14 Shot Dead In Cinema In Denver

Being perfectly honest; I would love one of those assault rifles and wouldn't have a problem with all my neighbours having one, the cases like Denver are extremely rare.

I admire the American law where you can kill a burglar and not be charged for it, the laws regarding that are fucked up in our Country, the farmer who killed the gypo in his house got years in jail, that can't be right.

A big gun would be handy for lots of things, shooting rabbits and cans, shooting birds for supper etc...

The law would depend on what State you were in. I think in most cases you would have to prove you were being physically threatened and acting in self defence. Although I heard a horror story about some British guy who was pissed and mistook a house for his own and ended up being shot dead for merely being on the property - the Yank got off with it.

As for the farmer who killed the gypo, you cannot lie in wait with a loaded gun then shoot a teenager in the back while he's trying to run away and expect to get off scott free.

Kelt,

Do you really have a gun like that?

I had the 12 gauge Mossberg, but the kick on that thing after any number of shots really starts to get uncomfortable, so it's locked up in a gun case on her old man's ferm. Frankly, if I shot an intruder with the 20 gauge I'd have been picking bits of the guy off the ceiling for years to come... just too much bother.

My birthday's coming up, so I'll be along to Gander Mountain for the 20 gauge replacement in a month or so, so currently my main means of home defence is my jungle knife.

Good thing about Michigan is that there's a 'No Retreat Law'.

Basically, in states where you're allowed to shoot an intruder, there's two different laws. 'Retreat' and 'No Retreat'.

Retreat means that if someone climbs in the window you have to get to a room you consider safe... and if the intruder comes into that room then you can shoot him.

No Retreat means it's open season on anyone breaking into your hoose... so you can actually hunt an intruder down and blast him.

Funny thing is here that you can walk down the road with a loaded gun, out in the open, and the cops legally can't bust you. Was a case near here where a guy had his hunting rifle and was walking down the main street. Cops bust him, then have to hand his gun back and issue a public apology for fucking with his Second Amendment right to arm bears. This was just in the last couple of weeks.

Anyway, no, I'm currently shotgunless.. but dinnae get any fancy ideas... I've still got my Jungle Knife ;)

As for the farmer who killed the gypo, you cannot lie in wait with a loaded gun then shoot a teenager in the back while he's trying to run away and expect to get off scott free.

If someone breaks into your house they give up all rights the moment they enter the house imo, the gypo got what he deserved. If I caught someone in my house I would have no qualms at all about stabbing him.

Think how scared Mr Martin would have been as two people ransacked his house in the pitch black, I don't know about you but I would have shot.

I'm with DT on this one. If someone breaks into your house you HAVE to assume he intends you or your family harm, and the best way to prevent him from doing harm to your family is to incapacitate him using whatever means are at your disposal. If you've a gun then you shoot the fucker, if it's a knife stick it in whatever part of them you can reach.... deal with the consequences later when your family is safe.

If someone breaks into my hoose right now then I'm likely at a disadvantage, because they're 99% guaranteed to be armed with a gun. In Aberdeen, likely a knife.

You need to keep yourself at least on parity with an intruder, and you also need to protect your family as best you can.

I'm with DT on this one. If someone breaks into your house you HAVE to assume he intends you or your family harm, and the best way to prevent him from doing harm to your family is to incapacitate him using whatever means are at your disposal. If you've a gun then you shoot the fucker, if it's a knife stick it in whatever part of them you can reach.... deal with the consequences later when your family is safe.

If someone breaks into my hoose right now then I'm likely at a disadvantage, because they're 99% guaranteed to be armed with a gun. In Aberdeen, likely a knife.

You need to keep yourself at least on parity with an intruder, and you also need to protect your family as best you can.

I don't disagree. i'd protect my family too. and i have. i just think the chances of you being able to successfully protect them are quite limited using a gun. you're more likely to hurt yourself or a family member, or escalate a situation unnecessarily.

If someone breaks into your house they give up all rights the moment they enter the house imo, the gypo got what he deserved. If I caught someone in my house I would have no qualms at all about stabbing him.

Think how scared Mr Martin would have been as two people ransacked his house in the pitch black, I don't know about you but I would have shot.

That's fine, just don't expect to get off with it. In the eyes of the law, burglars do have rights regardless of what your opionion is and you are only allowed to use 'reasonable force'.

Don't get me wrong, I would probably try to use unreasonable force if I caught a burglar in my hoose, although I wouldn't be able to shoot them as I don't own a gun.

I don't disagree. i'd protect my family too. and i have. i just think the chances of you being able to successfully protect them are quite limited using a gun. you're more likely to hurt yourself or a family member, or escalate a situation unnecessarily.

I'd agree with that in the case of people not used to handling guns, prone to panic, or who don't know how they'd react in that sort of situation.

I was always under the impression that the reason the bloke Martin got jailed was because he shot that gypo in the back when he was trying to escape, and that he would have been well with in his rights to use the gun if he was in danger, but it was simply the fact the boy was obviously not a risk as he was trying to escape.

Also the burgler who got stabbed to death earlier this year, the guy went and got a knife and stabbed him to death, but he was not charged because the guy believed he was at risk even after he stabbed him a few times.

I have no idea if I speaking nonsence or just reading the sun to much.

Which is probably the vast majority of gun owners in the States?

I would say that's a pretty accurate assessment. Anyone can get a gun, with very few exceptions, with little more than a flash of their driver's license. Americans also tend to be extremely highly strung. That's not a good combination.

I've used a variety of handguns, rifles and shotguns in the last ten years or so. The wife's old man has a farm, and a selection of guns that would make most Middle-Eastern dictators cum in their pants. Every weekend we'd be down there and I'd be out blazing away with all sorts of silly shit. He has a Chinese variant AK-47, Magnum 45, shotguns, hunting rifles, oh, and some gun that, when you fire it, renders you deaf and blind for about 30 seconds... I fired that once... fucking stupid gun.

I'm also a pretty calm individual. Takes a lot to freak me out or get me flapping :)

I would say that's a pretty accurate assessment. Anyone can get a gun, with very few exceptions, with little more than a flash of their driver's license. Americans also tend to be extremely highly strung. That's not a good combination.

I've used a variety of handguns, rifles and shotguns in the last ten years or so. The wife's old man has a farm, and a selection of guns that would make most Middle-Eastern dictators cum in their pants. Every weekend we'd be down there and I'd be out blazing away with all sorts of silly shit. He has a Chinese variant AK-47, Magnum 45, shotguns, hunting rifles, oh, and some gun that, when you fire it, renders you deaf and blind for about 30 seconds... I fired that once... fucking stupid gun.

I'm also a pretty calm individual. Takes a lot to freak me out or get me flapping :)

so given that we seem to agree you'd be among the minority, gun control and fewer powerful weapons in the hands of less capable people would then be a good thing?

so given that we seem to agree you'd be among the minority, gun control and fewer powerful weapons in the hands of less capable people would then be a good thing?

That depends on your point of view.

Guns are designed for the sole purpose of killing, so the less of these things in circulation the better.

However, in the US in particularly, a ban on guns will only impact those law-abiding sorts who will give up their weapons. The 'bad guys' aren't going to give them up. For that reason, disarming the populace would only serve to create a bigger problem for law enforcement.

Also, a disarmed populace is a helpless populace. There's no way the Libyans would have freed themselves without guns... and help from the SAS who, remember, 'weren't there'.

I personally hate guns. Can't stand the things. But I understand that regardless of how much I dislike guns they're a necessary evil if I'm to protect myself.

I have a baseball bat, would love to use it one day. I maybe need to get rid of the burglar alarm to increase my chances.

baseball bat is too unweildy. its big and clumsy, youll never get enough force behind it.

get a smaller more managebale cosh and youll batter the fuck out of any home invader

baseball bat is too unweildy. its big and clumsy, youll never get enough force behind it.

get a smaller more managebale cosh and youll batter the fuck out of any home invader

Its not full size, I bought it in Tenerife, it has a pretty Tenerife picture painted on it but is a pretty brutal cosh.