Obesity 'not individuals' fault'

uni_don

How come this topic jumped from 2007 to the present day?

There is nobody looking after us , least of all governments today who are often in the pocket of big corporations. The food supply has been altered beyond recognition in the last 50 years and certainly not for the better , big business is catering to our lowest levels of judgement , too much salt , too much sugar , chemical additives to make us want more. There is a corrupt side to the food industry , the government should regulate but it is much better for the individual to do it for him or herself.

I can remember when they told us smoking was good for us , even when tobacco companies knew their product caused cancer and kept it secret.

It is the same today with food and obesity is NOT completely the fault of the individual , although they could to more to help themselves with a little bit of knowledge AND will power.

Let 'Fresh is best' be the mantra.

How come this topic jumped from 2007 to the present day?

There is nobody looking after us , least of all governments today who are often in the pocket of big corporations. The food supply has been altered beyond recognition in the last 50 years and certainly not for the better , big business is catering to our lowest levels of judgement , too much salt , too much sugar , chemical additives to make us want more. There is a corrupt side to the food industry , the government should regulate but it is much better for the individual to do it for him or herself.

I can remember when they told us smoking was good for us , even when tobacco companies knew their product caused cancer and kept it secret.

It is the same today with food and obesity is NOT completely the fault of the individual , although they could to more to help themselves with a little bit of knowledge AND will power.

Let 'Fresh is best' be the mantra.

I'm not sure how true that is. Companies should be allowed to advertise without having to worry that people will indulge to excess and have their products blamed for people's gluttony. They should also be able to sell what they want (within reason of course) and not have to cut salt because it's 0.394% over the allowed amount. The number of foods that used to be a little treat of mine that just taste bland nowadays is probably in the tens. Super Noodles, Pot Noodles, Pepsi, KFC's chips, Turkey Twizzlers, Cremola Foam, Irn-Bru bars, that ham that's for kids that used to be so fucking fine... All fantastic, but are now a shadow of their former selves, but because some adults couldn't say no to their children, or even themselves, the nanny state had to step in and take it away from those of us that could enjoy it.

I'd say 'take everything in moderation' is the better mantra.

• Upvote 1

Aye , the 'moderation' is a good een 'n' a'.

You are all too young(probably) to realise yet! We reap fit we sow. A lifetime of eating food that tastes fine but may not be what the body requires to function efficiently will eventually result in breakdown. Some peoples tolerance levels will be stronger than others but you do not gsvecto look very far to see the unhealthy , there are more about today than I can remember. And it is largely down to the wrong nutrition , imo.

Aye , the 'moderation' is a good een 'n' a'.

You are all too young(probably) to realise yet! We reap fit we sow. A lifetime of eating food that tastes fine but may not be what the body requires to function efficiently will eventually result in breakdown. Some peoples tolerance levels will be stronger than others but you do not gsvecto look very far to see the unhealthy , there are more about today than I can remember. And it is largely down to the wrong nutrition , imo.

Pheonix min. Heard you were unwell for a spell. Hope you're well on the road to recovery

Bloody hell, is it just me or do folk who are obese and make no effort to change their ways suffer from the same "Always the victim, it's never my fault" mentality that the huns and time suffer from?

ie: "It's not my fault I'm obese, it's KFC/Burger King/my friends/my family/the food industry/where I live/genetics/I don't know any better....."

All bullshit. Folk have a choice to stop eating. Folk have a choice to exercise or not. It's a sorry state to be in, that folk seem to think they're not able to think for themselves because that's somehow wrong. Modern life is fucking insane these days, the way folk are pressurised to conform with whatever society dictates. And the rise of the victim mentality is a damning indication of the times.

• Site Sponsor

Bloody hell, is it just me or do folk who are obese and make no effort to change their ways suffer from the same "Always the victim, it's never my fault" mentality that the huns and time suffer from?

ie: "It's not my fault I'm obese, it's KFC/Burger King/my friends/my family/the food industry/where I live/genetics/I don't know any better....."

All bullshit. Folk have a choice to stop eating. Folk have a choice to exercise or not. It's a sorry state to be in, that folk seem to think they're not able to think for themselves because that's somehow wrong. Modern life is fucking insane these days, the way folk are pressurised to conform with whatever society dictates. And the rise of the victim mentality is a damning indication of the times.

Damned fine post there GS.

Obesity is down to choice.

Bollocks to this it's nae my fault attitude.

What I cant understand is the folk who get morbidly obese - 40/50 stone and above who simply canna move.

Who feeds these people?

• Upvote 1

Damned fine post there GS.

Obesity is down to choice.

Bollocks to this it's nae my fault attitude.

What I cant understand is the folk who get morbidly obese - 40/50 stone and above who simply canna move.

Who feeds these people?

I remember watching a programme on the UK's fattest man or suchlike. He was on a strict diet but was paying mates to sneak him in massive buckets of fried chicken. With mates like that....

He took an ill turn and they had to get a fucking crane to get him out the house, mental.

• Site Sponsor

I remember watching a programme on the UK's fattest man or suchlike. He was on a strict diet but was paying mates to sneak him in massive buckets of fried chicken. With mates like that....

He took an ill turn and they had to get a fucking crane to get him out the house, mental.

Aye, as you say with mates like that...

Pheonix min. Heard you were unwell for a spell. Hope you're well on the road to recovery

Cheers ollie , aye the dreaded 'ass cancer' but a cancer that has a good chance of survival rate. Ironically , I am a guy who knows the benefits of avoiding the transfats ,processed foods and sugary drinks. Avoiding cancer seems to be more than just getting your nutrition right. Mind you , I have never been too disciplined about this and eat everything and a'thing and used to drink like a fish( I also worked in the chemical industry and I'll never take statins again ! ).

Diagnosed in April with a 'tumour in my tailpipe' , I cannae fault the team up at ARI. I got my chemotherapy , radiotherapy and surgery all within 4 months and my reversal op(the use of my tailpipe back , tf ) in November. I still need to do a further 3 months of chemo in the new year and that should be me done and dusted. If the cancer cells do not return within 5 years then I am considered cured.

It's pretty brutal like and I am still knackered from the treatment and can do very little before getting tired. Have not been to the hallowed grun since late September and it will be well into the new year before I am back. Listen in on the radio to every game tho' and watch on BT Sports , if on. COYR!

Thanks for askin' min :thumbup1:

Cheers ollie , aye the dreaded 'ass cancer' but a cancer that has a good chance of survival rate. Ironically , I am a guy who knows the benefits of avoiding the transfats ,processed foods and sugary drinks. Avoiding cancer seems to be more than just getting your nutrition right. Mind you , I have never been too disciplined about this and eat everything and a'thing and used to drink like a fish( I also worked in the chemical industry and I'll never take statins again ! ).

Diagnosed in April with a 'tumour in my tailpipe' , I cannae fault the team up at ARI. I got my chemotherapy , radiotherapy and surgery all within 4 months and my reversal op(the use of my tailpipe back , tf ) in November. I still need to do a further 3 months of chemo in the new year and that should be me done and dusted. If the cancer cells do not return within 5 years then I am considered cured.

It's pretty brutal like and I am still knackered from the treatment and can do very little before getting tired. Have not been to the hallowed grun since late September and it will be well into the new year before I am back. Listen in on the radio to every game tho' and watch on BT Sports , if on. COYR!

Thanks for askin' min :thumbup1:

That sounds brutal min, keep on fighting! Hope you get back to 100% soon, wise one.

If you have a medical condition that prevents you from exercising then aren't using as much energy as someone who can exercise therefore you DON'T EAT AS MUCH. You fat greedy cunt. Using the excuse "I can't exercise" is NOT an excuse for being fat. You just consume less calories. It is that fucking simple.

We are living in a country where you get PAID for being greedy and lazy. It really does make me sick.