Anyone Else Worried About These Words?.....

Or hasn't known any better, in my lifetime/memory I've seen Boro win more trophies than Aberdeen. Although they have won an impressive haul of 1.

That is not true. I have not seen Aberdeen win anything in person. Last time they won something I was 4. I wasn't even born when we last won the Scottish Cup ffs.

Not knowing any better is not an excuse. Aberdeen are a much more important club than the hierarchy let on. Getting into the top 6 and a semi final is not a considered as a successful season by myself.

A Success in my opinion is winning something.

Finishing 3rd, getting into last 16 of Uefa Cup, getting to a semi final is a good season yes, but certainly not successful.

Even worse is getting to those stages and not building on it! We've went backwards since!

That is not success, that is failure!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is not true. I have not seen Aberdeen win anything in person. Last time they won something I was 4. I wasn't even born when we last won the Scottish Cup ffs.

Not knowing any better is not an excuse. Aberdeen are a much more important club than the hierarchy let on. Getting into the top 6 and a semi final is not a considered as a successful season by myself.

A Success in my opinion is winning something.

Finishing 3rd, getting into last 16 of Uefa Cup, getting to a semi final is a good season yes, but certainly not successful.

Even worse is getting to those stages and not building on it! We've went backwards since!

That is not success, that is failure!

Seems like you're the same age as me, and I agree with what you're saying. But 20(ish) years is a long time, so although top 6/ the euro season may have not been considered a success or even a good season back then, I think it would be wrong to say they are not now.

We are not a big club anymore

We are not a big club anymore

..and that is the mentality that let's the like of Milne and Miller get away with telling us reaching the top 6 is a success.

That is the mentality from the club itself, which means the fans are deserting the club. The club will be small fry in no time if something doesn't change drastically in the next few years.

In Scotland we should still be classing ourselves as a big club. Not mid table minnows!

I've bin going since the late 60's.

Been down, been up, been down, been up, been very up, been incredibly up, been down, been downer, now downest.

I don't see where your projected up can possibly come from?

Do you not think the comments regarding the reasons for our downest are valid?

Would you not agree that this is the very worst period in our lifetimes?

Ever wondered why?

God do you lot like being negative all the time and even arguing the negative.

what's wrong with a bit of hope.

You poor sods are bigger losers than the Don's.

Moan Moan Moan.

Bet if we finish third you will still be greetin' 'cause we didn't finish first or second.

God do you lot like being negative all the time and even arguing the negative.

what's wrong with a bit of hope.

You poor sods are bigger losers than the Don's.

Moan Moan Moan.

Bet if we finish third you will still be greetin' 'cause we didn't finish first or second.

Jim, I take my hat off to you Sir, I really do. Perhaps you're one of these eternal optimists, you know, like when you've arranged for a BBQ with all your family, and it chucks it down with rain..... and you find the positive in the situation... "ach weel, at least the grass is getting a water. It needed it".

AFC is a sporting body, an institution. It's sole purpose in life should be to strive to be the best it can possibly be. With the tools at our disposal (one club city in a region of 1 million inhabitants), technically - this shouldn't be as big a task as the Board make it out to be.

Maybe for the likes of you Jim, you are just happy with it being there.... like the air you breath, or the sun that you sometimes have the opportunity to feel on your skin. For the majority of us however, we see our club as being in the market place of the competitive arena. AFC is not a business, as some would like to have us believe. It is the embodiment of Aberdeen in a sporting nature. It's success and failure on and off the park, is directly linked to the well being of the folk who live in Aberdeen and the shire. When AFC's tails are up, then so are the people who hold it dear.

The individuals who are challenged with running the club, should be doing absolutely everything within their power to make it a success. It should not been seen as a business, where generating a return for it's investors or shareholders, is No1 priority. If said incumbents are not capable of all of the criteria which WE set out for them, then it's fairly obvious in my mind, that they should be man enough to stand aside and allow others the opportunity.

Aberdeen Football Club is OUR club, not Mr Milne's or other faceless individuals.

Here's something for each and every one of you to consider amidst this naysaying.

If you were very shrewd, like me, and you had money to spend, what would you say media wise?

We have tons of cash? Height of stupidity.

Is it beyond the realms of your imaginations that we might have some cash but are, for obvious reasons, keeping to the previous mantra?

That Brown is one shrewd mutha, and that he knows he's offering nothing but platitudes, albeit very feasible ones, to a gutter press?

You may as well all get the 'WE'RE DOOMED' sandwich boards out and march down the Merkland Road in united sorrow. Slit your wrists in unison when you reach the main entrance. Show them what it means. Let them know you know what it takes, and this pathetic offering falls way short of that.

Even though nothing has actually happened yet.

Fishwives the lot o ye.

Here's something for each and every one of you to consider amidst this naysaying.

Is it beyond the realms of your imaginations that we might have some cash but are, for obvious reasons, keeping to the previous mantra?

You're suggesting that the idea that the club is broke, millions in debts, significantly beneath its stated Break Even point in attendance, posts losses most years, is having to sell its only major asset, and can't afford to stretch the budget by a tiny amount to fill an essential position, you're suggesting that this is all some kind of clever, devious and strategic ruse to fool people into believing we have no cash?

If it is then I'd say they've gone for a touch too much realism, because all of the above is verifiable.

Aside from that you would need the guys running the club to possess some kind of guile... and little Machiavelli our board of Directors are not.

I'd say that we appear to be f**ked because, in actual fact, we're f**ked.

That might not be a particularly imaginative take on the situation, but that's where Kelt's money is.

If you were very shrewd, like me, and you had money to spend, what would you say media wise?

We have tons of cash? Height of stupidity.

That Brown is one shrewd mutha, and that he knows he's offering nothing but platitudes, albeit very feasible ones, to a gutter press?

You may as well all get the 'WE'RE DOOMED' sandwich boards out and march down the Merkland Road in united sorrow. Slit your wrists in unison when you reach the main entrance. Show them what it means. Let them know you know what it takes, and this pathetic offering falls way short of that.

Even though nothing has actually happened yet.

Fishwives the lot o ye.

Here you go again. Mate, where have you been over the last 10 years of Milne's tenure? Investing money (ie his own, not the club's) is not something he does. Just exactly where you have dreamt up this fanciful notion that we have loads more money to spend, is beyond me.

We will be in more or less the same situation as in previous seasons with regards budget. Now, if you have been fed the line that there's a lot more at Brown's disposal, the crack on with your mantra. But loads more to me, would say 40k a week wages as opposed to 20k a week wages. That would allow us to bring in the kind of players who could feasibly challenge for 3rd, and a good bet for a piece of silverware. As it is, even a mere slender increase in our budget will see a similar standard of squad being built in my opinion. So forgive the lack of hootin' n hollerin' from certain quarters. We've heard it all before (10 new players in before the season starts etc etc).

You're suggesting that the idea that the club is broke, millions in debts, significantly beneath its stated Break Even point in attendance, posts losses most years, is having to sell its only major asset, and can't afford to stretch the budget by a tiny amount to fill an essential position, you're suggesting that this is all some kind of clever, devious and strategic ruse to fool people into believing we have no cash?

If it is then I'd say they've gone for a touch too much realism, because all of the above is verifiable.

Aside from that you would need the guys running the club to possess some kind of guile... and little Machiavelli our board of Directors are not.

I'd say that we appear to be f**ked because, in actual fact, we're f**ked.

That might not be a particularly imaginative take on the situation, but that's where Kelt's money is.

The club might well be broke, and in debt, at this juncture.

However, we plan to basically eradicate that, or at least make it signicantly less onerous, once we sell the stadium and move.

Now, what do we need to fill a new stadium? That's right, a product worth selling.

Milne and others are monied individuals, They probably lost overnight more than it would take to wipe our debt during the financial crisis last year.

Paper loss in any case, who gives a f**k, money is but a mere illusion and little good can come from hoarding it.

Much more life affirming is the adulation of many, a legacy.

We hit rock bottom last season. We have a renewed vigour.

I think we're going to have a strong side next season put it that way but dinna let that sway you from repeatedly having a pop TWL min.

The club might well be broke, and in debt, at this juncture.

However, we plan to basically eradicate that, or at least make it signicantly less onerous, once we sell the stadium and move.

Now, what do we need to fill a new stadium? That's right, a product worth selling.

Milne and others are monied individuals, They probably lost overnight more than it would take to wipe our debt during the financial crisis last year.

Paper loss in any case, who gives a f**k, money is but a mere illusion and little good can come from hoarding it.

Much more life affirming is the adulation of many, a legacy.

We hit rock bottom last season. We have a renewed vigour.

I think we're going to have a strong side next season put it that way but dinna let that sway you from repeatedly having a pop TWL min.

Based on what though? Sheer hope? A bullet proof nod from someone in the know?

I can only base my opinions on what has gone before and the individuals who remain in charge and responsible for said failure. To that end, and based on our incredibly difficult financial situation, I would tend to lean toward a similar budget and a similar challenge in front of us.

And my friend.... money is far from being a mere illusion. Money is the be all and end all of AFC at this moment in time, aside from the poor managerial abilities of the Board that is :poster_oops:

It's based on genuine info but as I've already said I canna say any more than I've done thus far.

Trust me :checkit:

Info is one thing, and clearly you know something... or presumably you know someone's intent based upon information you've been given... however intent and reality can, and in AFC's case often are two entirely different things.

I remember all the intentions of the past... and yet here we are.

I can only go by the track record of those in charge at Pittodrie, and I think you'll agree that track record is several miles of bad road

In other words, they may be panicking finally, but I've little reason to expect these people who have failed and failed and failed again will achieve anything except further failure, regardless of intent.

It's what they do.

This isn't doomsaying, this is bland, depressing fact.

Info is one thing, and clearly you know something... or presumably you know someone's intent based upon information you've been given... however intent and reality can, and in AFC's case often are two entirely different things.

I remember all the intentions of the past... and yet here we are.

I can only go by the track record of those in charge at Pittodrie, and I think you'll agree that track record is several miles of bad road

In other words, they may be panicking finally, but I've little reason to expect these people who have failed and failed and failed again will achieve anything except further failure, regardless of intent.

It's what they do.

This isn't doomsaying, this is bland, depressing fact.

Nail on heid min!!!

Lack of youth players coming through, failure.

Inability to develop players, failure.

Really???????????

Absolutely really!!

How many proven, talented youngsters have we seen came through the books, make it to the 1st team and been considered an asset?

You could say Maguire - I'd say otherwise. His season just gone was average at best in comparison to what you would compare to others in the same category.

Fyvie - ok, but he still has a long way to go and certainly if sold, would not fetch any more than 400k in my opinion.

Pawlett - very long way to go before we can call him a real asset.

Other than that, didly squat.

I'm talking about Steven Glass, Eoin Jess, Scott Booth, David Roberston, Stephen Wright material.

Lack of youth players coming through, failure.

Inability to develop players, failure.

Really???????????

Really!!!!!!!!!!!!

Our youth system in recent years has been woeful. Peterhead quality dross, with a total lack of progression while at our club.

Recently it seems to be picking up, with several exciting prospects coming through for the first time in god knows how long. This might be because the club has improved its methods, or it could be stopped clock syndrome. A case of just by the law of averages we can't possibly make an abortion of everything every single time. Certainly the club has made a commendable effort to f**k up just every single thing it does, but even with the best will in the world, occasionally some things will go well despite you.

Other players, those who make the breakthrough, have shown that the club can't then develop them into the finished product. McNaughton was a perfect example of a guy who showed great promise, then stagnated in the Aberdeen team.

Maguire could well be another one. Showed great promise up front, and his form in for the Scotland U21 showed what he was capable of as an out and out striker... so Aberdeen stuck him on the wing where he's less effective and not at all in his natural position, limiting his development. Then he gets criticised and bollocked because he's 'pish'.

Then there's Zander Diamond.

EDIT: I'll also add in young guys like Craig, Bird, Mike, Aluko... guys who were reported to have great promise, yet ended up being gash. Aluko, while he shows signs of being a good player, is hardly progressing at Aberdeen.

Now this tells me that these young guys we bring in, the ones we're told are really promising, either

A/ They're actually not very good, and we have no eye for talent... which is a failure. or

B/ They DO have potential, but we are incapable of developing that potential... which is a failure.

When did we last have a Riorden, O'Connor, Fletcher, Gordon, McCarthy or Robson come through the ranks in the way our rivals seem to manage?

Last one I can think of is Anderson, a player we received a derisory sum for.... originally quoted at a million, then 800k, then finally somewhere in the region of 400k for our team captain and one of Scotland's best defenders. Ivan f**king Sproule went for more than that.

So, yes, really!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who knows. Maybe Darren Mackie is classed like a new signing.

or Richard Foster...or Fraser Fyvie....or Yoann Folly.

Well what do you know, that's 4 new signings right there.

The cliches are being trotted out every few days or so. :deadhorse:

Which is AFC & Willie Miller speak for we won't be signing as many players as we said we would earlier.

Exactly what Craig Brown said.... Mackie, Foley, Foster and Fyvie ARE four of our new signings, and he hopes to bring in "one or two others" one of whom is Maweme.

And if we do only bring in one more player then our squad is going to be even more threadbare than it was last season. And when the injuries start mounting up.... we'll be properly f**ked.

Yup, hello again bottom six.

Exactly what Craig Brown said.... Mackie, Foley, Foster and Fyvie ARE four of our new signings, and he hopes to bring in "one or two others" one of whom is Maweme.

And if we do only bring in one more player then our squad is going to be even more threadbare than it was last season. And when the injuries start mounting up.... we'll be properly f**ked.

But kelt, we have a shiny new Adidas strip to look forward to though! :sleeping:

We need at least another 5 NEW players, not including his 4 players coming back from injury/loan.

Lets wait and see - a few on here seem to be being duped again and thnk the club will make alot of signings. I hope they are right.

But we all know it's been regression all the way at Pittodrie for a long time now.

And Brown mentioning 3 times in every interview about injured players being new signings is him softening us up to accept the fact he's been told he's not getting to bring in as many as he'd like.

But kelt, we have a shiny new Adidas strip to look forward to though! :sleeping:

Oh aye, I forgot about that. f**king rosey is everything with an Adidas thing on the shirt.

We need at least another 5 NEW players, not including his 4 players coming back from injury/loan.

Yes we do, we absolutely do. But by allowing something like 9 players to leave, then only bringing in two or so, the club saves money on wages, while at the same time kidding itself on that the line "like a new player" (which we hear every single year) will fool us into thinking we've brought in six new players instead of only two, when we've in fact suffered a net loss of seven players to an already paper thin squad.

Lets wait and see - a few on here seem to be being duped again and thnk the club will make alot of signings. I hope they are right.

But we all know it's been regression all the way at Pittodrie for a long time now.

And Brown mentioning 3 times in every interview about injured players being new signings is him softening us up to accept the fact he's been told he's not getting to bring in as many as he'd like.

I feel sorry for Brown, I really do. He'll be hung out to dry like McGhee, Calderwood and Paterson before him. I don't for one single second believe that Aberdeen have been up front with the auld lad... it's not in their nature to be honest.

It's a bit premature for such a doom laden prophecy.

Onybody got a P&J?

Fit's Broon saying?

Brown winning the board game

MY PHONE IS RED HOT, SAYS DONS MANAGER, AS HE THANKS DIRECTORS FOR THEIR BACKING IN TEAM REBUILD

BY PAUL THIRD

Published: 07/06/2011

Craig Brown:quality pledge

More Pictures

Aberdeen manager Craig Brown has vowed to repay the club’s directors for backing him in the transfer market.

French defender Youl Mawene was Brown’s first signing of the close season on Friday and more will follow as Brown rebuilds his squad for the new SPL campaign.

The manager is pleased at the efforts of the board to support him this summer and insists he will produce a team which reflects the investment in the club.

For the full story, pick up a copy of today’s Press and Journal or read our digital edition now

P&J

Fits he saying then?

That disnae sound like we'll be scripming on players dis it?

Is it possible we'll be pleasantly surprised here???