Utter Lack Of Ambition

Hahaha. Yeah, a big up yours to me who travelled to every game last season. Why should we bust ourselves for no guaranteed success. We have a budget, if it's used up, that's it. Could Milne put in another couple of hundred thousand? Yes! Could I put in more money? Yes! Could you? Yes! Could everyone on this forum? Yes! If everyone put what they could into the club then we'd be rich and be able to have a successful club for one or two seasons. I'd rather slowly build a squad within our budget and not end up like Hearts ta.

Yes I understand what you are saying, by no means I mean go spend way beyond our means and land up in a mess, however! The cash that had been made with winning the cup and getting into Europe, with all the merchandise sold and the gates up by thousands on last year and season ticket sales up, I think it's reasonable to wonder why a little bit of cash hasn't been re invested to build on last season?? When Milne said it would be!! If you think that's unreasonable then I very much disagree

• Upvote 1

Yes I understand what you are saying, by no means I mean go spend way beyond our means and land up in a mess, however! The cash that had been made with winning the cup and getting into Europe, with all the merchandise sold and the gates up by thousands on last year and season ticket sales up, I think it's reasonable to wonder why a little bit of cash hasn't been re invested to build on last season?? When Milne said it would be!! If you think that's unreasonable then I very much disagree

How do you know it hasn't? I'm all for pointing negatives out when there's a valid reason but I don't feel wild speculations about the budget are. Am I disappointed that we didn't yet get a left back in? Yes. But I really think that'll change in January. There's no point of signing a left back that's no better than Consi/Robertson and spending £50k (£2k a week) on him just to prove a point, I'd rather use that in January to entice Shinnie as a signing bonus.

Aberdeen hasn't really been ambitious since the poisonous little troll first turned up and took control.

While winning a league cup in twenty years is of course magnificent and triumphant, and everything a club like Aberdeen should ever hope for... one minor trophy in two decades... Milne is still Milne, and if any of you thinks he's going to transform into Daddy Warbucks all of a sudden then your cranium needs removing from your anus.

The point is the club made waves about building on the league cup success (particularly Milne). The fans have responded by buying season tickets and turning out for the European games. What has the club done in return......signed players to warm the bench.

The fans will not return on the back of this dreadful window.

Good post & the bench warming signings are especially correct.

Pish window & expected a lot better from McInnes.

Didn't expect us to sign world beaters but even a fkn wife beater would have been a start

I would agree with anyone who felt the side was potentially weaker. There was alot of fans who had anticipated a few strong additions to the current starting 11. We havent addressed any of of our weaknesses that have been apparent since March. Truly disappointed by lack of ambition shown by Aberdeen this transfer market. My only thoughts could be that they are keeping wages aside for pre contract negotiations in January and that DM feels he can get us ticking along until then.

A signing such as Boyd or Shinnie would have paid for themselves with the season ticket sales generated from their arrival.

To see one of your main rivals for second (Dundee Utd) not only address and strengthen their weaknesses but make a few bob in the process is frustrating and even harder to take given the good start to the season they've had.

• Upvote 1

I would agree with anyone who felt the side was potentially weaker. There was alot of fans who had anticipated a few strong additions to the current starting 11. We havent addressed any of of our weaknesses that have been apparent since March. Truly disappointed by lack of ambition shown by Aberdeen this transfer market. My only thoughts could be that they are keeping wages aside for pre contract negotiations in January and that DM feels he can get us ticking along until then.

A signing such as Boyd or Shinnie would have paid for themselves with the season ticket sales generated from their arrival.

To see one of your main rivals for second (Dundee Utd) not only address and strengthen their weaknesses but make a few bob in the process is frustrating and even harder to take given the good start to the season they've had.

Exactly

It's not a lack of ambition it's a lack of money

It's a bit of both but that said, we've not spent much this window at all imo.

Logan was probably the highest wage, with Taylor likely a close second.

Goodwillie only a 1 year deal on who knows what wage but we've increased on ST sales & the price of them & we've over achieved on our budgeted finish in the league & had a cup win & also a few decent gates (Europa) that are not budgeted for, so the lack of money is a bit of a joke when all we want in is a piddley LB that will improve us where we're really struggling.

We haven't strengthened from the back of a reasonable season. A great season by our standards of late but in all honesty. It was only a "reasonable" season as a whole.

This is one season where we REALLY should have been looking to strengthen. Not just hope to get by until yet another depressing Jan window.

Yes to an extent it's lack of money but mostly it's lack of ambition because we have "some" money

It's not a lack of ambition it's a lack of money

Until we see the latest financial reports its difficult to make comments on the budget. We won the league cup, have seen a 30% increase in crowds, had a few rounds in europe , sold record season tickets with a 16% price increase and have had strong merchandise sales. Therefore one would assume we have done well in the last 9 months.

Has this been reflected in strengthening the squad? I am not sure.

Regardless of any debate about our budget I struggle to believe there were not players out they who we could have afforded and improved the first team. Dundee utd and Hearts have demonstrated this during the window.

Until we see the latest financial reports its difficult to make comments on the budget. We won the league cup, have seen a 30% increase in crowds, had a few rounds in europe , sold record season tickets with a 16% price increase and have had strong merchandise sales. Therefore one would assume we have done well in the last 9 months.

Has this been reflected in strengthening the squad? I am not sure.

Regardless of any debate about our budget I struggle to believe there were not players out they who we could have afforded and improved the first team. Dundee utd and Hearts have demonstrated this during the window.

Who have Hearts signed that would improve us out of curiosity? Not really followed the first division

You need money to sign players, and if the club is unwilling to open the biscuit tin then McInnes can't really sign any players.

Possibly they expect him to do what previous managers have had to do, that being go out and sign amateurs and lower league shirt-fillers.

You need money to sign players, and if the club is unwilling to open the biscuit tin then McInnes can't really sign any players.

Possibly they expect him to do what previous managers have had to do, that being go out and sign amateurs and lower league shirt-fillers.

Jackie McNamara seems quite able to do this yet McInnes doesn't even show faith in any of his young signings like Shankland

Pretty sure McInnes has had ample time to "scout" Shankland

What I'm saying is that if we were able to go out and identify guys who can come in and do a job we wouldn't have to worry about youth players being able to fill a first team slot.

As it is, we appear to have one or two targets, and if we don't get them in we basically stand around with our thumbs up our arses hoping someone appears by magic,

As far as Shankland is concerned, 19 isn't too soon to be playing first team football.... unless you're pish, of course.

DM was meant to have addressed the scouting situation last season (he hired a guy from England if I am not mistaken?).

As for Hearts the boy Sow is a good player and there are big things expected from the talented centre back from Turkey. Their new Dutch winger is meant to be a real handful as well. They even managed to sign a left back (ex Man Utd player).

I am not sure if its entirely DM's fault but the fact that Milne came out and spoke of the need to build on last seasons success makes this window look like a damp squid.

DM was meant to have addressed the scouting situation last season (he hired a guy from England if I am not mistaken?).

As for Hearts the boy Sow is a good player and there are big things expected from the talented centre back from Turkey. Their new Dutch winger is meant to be a real handful as well. They even managed to sign a left back (ex Man Utd player).

I am not sure if its entirely DM's fault but the fact that Milne came out and spoke of the need to build on last seasons success makes this window look like a damp squid.

Milne comes out and says a lot of things... since we won the cup we've heard him talk about fixing the debt, building a training facility, and building a new stadium.

We've heard this all before, of course.

It's just been a complete wet fish.

• Upvote 2

Signed players to win the first division. How did it go for them when they signed players to win the SPL?

Why is that relevant to now?

Someone else mentioned Hearts signings improving their team.

They have improved their own team to compete to win/challenge in their current league. We have not.

Not saying their players would have improved us but they are working from a smaller budget in a smaller league & have managed to improve their team.

A damp squid is not normally a bad thing but a damp squib is however a bit of a let down.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/4799157/Damp-Squid-The-top-10-misquoted-phrases-in-Britain.html

:laughing:

As already mentioned, our source told us Shinnie was approached. We were rebuffed straight away. He isn't interested, looking to be move to England at the end of the season.

Did ICT "rebuff" the approach or Shinne himself?

One thing is for sure SOTR is normally spot on with these things so I tend to believe what he says.

Did ICT "rebuff" the approach or Shinne himself?

One thing is for sure SOTR is normally spot on with these things so I tend to believe what he says.

Nothing to do with me, I'm just passing on info that's straight from the coal face. The other moderators were also party to this information. The whole hype around Shinnie has been fabricated by supporters/media.

From what we were told, I don't think ICT were the obstacle. We spoke to Shinnie a good while ago and he made it clear that he was absolutely not interested. As mentioned, he wants to give England a crack next year.

The stuff about Jeffrey Monakana not being good enough is bollocks too. He has a genuine injury, that's why he's not been involved. He way well turn out to be shite, but the rumours about him being the new Myles Anderson are unfounded.

Nothing to do with me, I'm just passing on info that's straight from the coal face. The other moderators were also party to this information. The whole hype around Shinnie has been fabricated by supporters/media.

From what we were told, I don't think ICT were the obstacle. We spoke to Shinnie a good while ago and he made it clear that he was absolutely not interested. As mentioned, he wants to give England a crack next year.

The stuff about Jeffrey Monakana not being good enough is bollocks too. He has a genuine injury, that's why he's not been involved. He way well turn out to be shite, but the rumours about him being the new Myles Anderson are unfounded.

Saw him last season, he is actually shite [emoji23]

What was there, 30 points between us and Celtic last season? That's a bit of a big gap for all of these people suggesting we could challenge with one or two other players. I expect a mid table finish as clearly that's what the board think is acceptable. Then McInnes will be off next season and we can go back to our bottom 6 obscurity, likely still with Clangers. Yipeeee