Retro Day - County At Home - 28Th Nov

Until we start playing with two strikers through the middle working close together, we will get nowhere.

Far too often we are simply too negative. Long ball pish is not how to play.

Could not agree more Tommy.

Surely worth putting Gooders back in with Rooney on Saturday.

We also need to adapt to a more pressing game, apart from Flood everyone is content to stand off the opposition

Would like to see a few changes to give a few players a shake.

Not only does McInnes have a weakness in making subs he also has a weakness in thinking a player off form could benefit from coming on in a game after 60 mins etc rather than being asked to start and win us the game werk after week

I'm thinking Smith and goodie deserve a go

The Considine (LB), Shinnie (LM), Hayes (LW) seems to work with Rooney up top. Yes I'd like to see Shinnie at LB as well, but needs must at the moment. In fairness I also have no clue off the top of my head who from County Consi would be up against. Conscious also that I understand Jack is out for this one.

Said before that we have Logan at RB and, commitment issues aside, I see no other alternatives in there. So, its the creative RM/No10 we need and one more presumably on the right wing. Whilst Flood will presumably replace jack at CM for this one that's an obvious straight swap going forward.

Shinnie in midfield should allow Kenny Mclean to push forward and get more chances of goals so he's my obvious RM. Like others its maybe slightly unfair on McGinn who hasn't had a chance in that position and from where I recall most of his goals in first season coming from. That then leaves Pawlett, McGinn/McLean, Smith, Parker, Goodwillie or a.n.o for the final berth.

So fuck knows basically!

The Considine (LB), Shinnie (LM), Hayes (LW) seems to work with Rooney up top. Yes I'd like to see Shinnie at LB as well, but needs must at the moment. In fairness I also have no clue off the top of my head who from County Consi would be up against. Conscious also that I understand Jack is out for this one.

Boyce probably? Him and Curran are both good players.

Goodwillie was ace the last time we were ace, against Hearts.

Get him back in the line up.

Also how long till we give McGinn a shot up front? Not scoring is a far bigger problem than conceding in my opinion. Can't just blame the strikers however as the service has been poor.

I've thought about a 4-4-2 with Mcginn and GW up front like you say. It makes us hellish powder puff, certainly no point in lumping high balls to that front line, but a midfield of Hayes, Flood (for jack) Shinnie and McLean would certainly be able to pass a ball. But would they be equally powderish to the inevitable high ball the other way? We're trying to take pressure off the defence remember! And would Rooney chuck the toys as has been alleged?

Boyce probably? Him and Curran are both good players.

Liam Macleod described Boyce as absolutely running the game (with one other presumably Curran?) at Dingwall. I saw Boyce against ICT and thought he was distinctly average!

Dynamo, as was proven at Dingwall, its difficult if not impossible to scream that he's a money grabbing hun cunt when he's 2-0 up. I would also suggest he's experienced enough to know that if you're too busy shouting at him you're not backing your team as such.

Always a difficult balance on the day I accept! Alcohol consumption doesn't help either! Or being 2-0 down!!

I've thought about a 4-4-2 with Mcginn and GW up front like you say. It makes us hellish powder puff, certainly no point in lumping high balls to that front line, but a midfield of Hayes, Flood (for jack) Shinnie and McLean would certainly be able to pass a ball. But would they be equally powderish to the inevitable high ball the other way? We're trying to take pressure off the defence remember! And would Rooney chuck the toys as has been alleged?

There's no point lumping high balls to Rooney either. On the rare occasion he wins a header it's deemed a foul anyway.

Yes, but I'd put Rooney against your standard SPL gorilla Centre half any day, if by any day you mean because that's what Taylor, Reynolds and Ward are going to do anyway. Goodwillie can at least bring it in to his feet and draw a foul a la Europe? McGinn :suicide:

Once the defence have the famous outball to Jack (which I'm still not entirely convinced of) to save them shitting their pants then yes we could try a more technical approach. Until then, might as well pish off a platform in a force 8.

Yes, but any player who thinks he can come to Aberdeen and just perform a single job is either sadly mistaken or has to be seriously seriously good at said job. See P Weir for details.

Alternatively, if we accept Rooney is the poacher that he undoubtedly is, how best i.e. what formation and playing style puts him in that position most often? Hayes backed by Shinnie down the left is (should be) a given. Down the right?

Yes, but any player who thinks he can come to Aberdeen and just perform a single job is either sadly mistaken or has to be seriously seriously good at said job. See P Weir for details.

Alternatively, if we accept Rooney is the poacher that he undoubtedly is, how best i.e. what formation and playing style puts him in that position most often? Hayes backed by Shinnie down the left is (should be) a given. Down the right?

Rather simple. He plays up front with a partner who can lay the balls on and win the headers.

Folk seem to think of Rooney as some sort of a target man. He's nothing of the sort.

He's a poacher and a very good one at this level.

Agreed.

Get the ball into the box via a cross or such like and invariably Rooney will be on the end of it.

Sadly, our 'wingers' have failed to deliver in both sense of the word this season.

McGinn got a decent ball into the box on Sunday.. Guess what, we scored.

Decent service is the key.

Folk seem to think of Rooney as some sort of a target man. He's nothing of the sort.

He's a poacher and a very good one at this level.

Rather simple. He plays up front with a partner who can lay the balls on and win the headers.

Correct, on both counts.

Teams have rumbled the 4-2-3-1 approach, and Rooney is left too isolated to be effective in that set-up.

Your ideal front two comprises a '9' and a '10', i.e. a poacher/finisher and someone a bit more skilful but less direct to do the legwork and create the majority of the chances. Either McGinn or Goodwillie would be quite capable of playing the 'ten' role in beside Rooney, switching the formation to a more orthodox 4-4-2 (or 4-4-1-1. for the more pedantic amongst you).

Correct, on both counts.

Teams have rumbled the 4-2-3-1 approach, and Rooney is left too isolated to be effective in that set-up.

Your ideal front two comprises a '9' and a '10', i.e. a poacher/finisher and someone a bit more skilful but less direct to do the legwork and create the majority of the chances. Either McGinn or Goodwillie would be quite capable of playing the 'ten' role in beside Rooney, switching the formation to a more orthodox 4-4-2 (or 4-4-1-1. for the more pedantic amongst you).

4-4-2 is by far the best way for us to play.