Rio Olympics 2016

Was just watching badminton there. Not something I've played since high school but I notice that points are scored on the opponents serve which I'm pretty sure wasn't the case when we played. Do I recall incorrectly or have the rules changed?

Pretty sure its always been that way mate. I started playing regularly this year and like you I had not played since school and was surprised, as I didnt remember that rule, but hey ho.

I saw the British girl in the tae kwon do semi final last night - she was good and went on to win gold again.

However in the match I saw, they were only kicking.

Does tae kwon do shun punching / throwing etc, or does the olympics only allow kicks?

Was just watching badminton there. Not something I've played since high school but I notice that points are scored on the opponents serve which I'm pretty sure wasn't the case when we played. Do I recall incorrectly or have the rules changed?

You're correct. The rules have changed. Used to be you only scored on your serve, but now you score on your opponent's serve also. Games played to 21 instead of 15 aswell

You're correct. The rules have changed. Used to be you only scored on your serve, but now you score on your opponent's serve also. Games played to 21 instead of 15 aswell

Ha, not senile yet then. Good change IMO.

Time they ditched some of these "sports". Shooting isnae a sport and neither is that synchronised drowning shite. Rugby sevens was a good addition though.

How was your Olympic trip @@Henry?

It was good cheers.

16 of us on the trip. Had tickets to the beach volleyball which was quite good, although the stadium emptied after the Brazilian women had been on. Then tickets to the swimming later that night, Phelps won his 20th gold, was a good atmosphere at that too.

Were due to go to the rowing the next day but it was cancelled due to poor weather. Went to Christ the Redeemer that day as well, was like a winter day in Orkney :clangers2:

Some people complaining that no coverage of the Paralympics.

The Olympics are for the fittest people on the planet.

When I see wheelchair tennis and wheelchair fencing I just find it very amusing.

Not saying these disabled folk are not fit but no place for them at Olympic Games.

This Olympics had the look of a commonwealth games. It must be a massive burden on a country that is completely different economically compared to the boom times when they won it.

I think they did a cracking job and Brazil winning the football was a big relief for the authorities. Then you have a typical yank, but one that should know better, that lochte deacus, trying to lie his way out of a drunken student type dealio.

I'm guilty right there with my typical yank statement. Although, How lochte conducted himself was 100 percent way the U.S. military would behave.

And it's back to you in the studio, Claire?.

Seeing as only two big nations take it serious the football there is pointless.

They should make it 5/7 a side football; sonething different

totally agree with this

I watched about ten minutes of football in total at the olympics and that was the women's USA v Sweden.................it was then I was sent those pics of the yank keeper taking close ups of her minge.

totally agree with this

I watched about ten minutes of football in total at the olympics and that was the women's USA v Sweden.................it was then I was sent those pics of the yank keeper taking close ups of her minge.

speaking of Hope Solo, she's been suspended from the women's national team for six months for what she said about the Swedish team post-match. i don't even like Solo, but that seems a bit harsh, even given her previous record of poor behaviours.

meanwhile, that lying arsehole Lochte may have lost sponsors, but hasn't been suspended and rumour on the radio this morning is he's to be given a spot on Dancing with the Stars -- seems somewhat of reward for his poor behaviour.

http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2016/08/24/22/42/160824-wnt-hope-solo-suspended-from-uswnt-for-six-months

speaking of Hope Solo, she's been suspended from the women's national team for six months for what she said about the Swedish team post-match. i don't even like Solo, but that seems a bit harsh, even given her previous record of poor behaviours.

meanwhile, that lying arsehole Lochte may have lost sponsors, but hasn't been suspended and rumour on the radio this morning is he's to be given a spot on Dancing with the Stars -- seems somewhat of reward for his poor behaviour.

http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2016/08/24/22/42/160824-wnt-hope-solo-suspended-from-uswnt-for-six-months

What were her previous poor behaviours?

What were her previous poor behaviours?

Solo previously received a one-month suspension by U.S. Soccer in January 2015 for an unspecified reason following an incident that resulted in a DUI charge for her husband, ex-NFL player Jerramy Stevens, while she was a passenger. In June, Solo was denied by a Washington state judge in her attempt to have a discretionary review to dismiss two fourth-degree domestic violence charges, stemming from a June 2014 incident involving her half-sister and that woman’s then-17-year-old son.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2016/08/24/hope-solo-suspended-six-months-by-u-s-soccer-for-calling-sweden-cowards/