Us Open - Tennis

Your entitled to your opinion, but I think you're doing Murray a disservice.

He's been a top 4 player for the past 6 or 7 years, consistently contesting and grand slam finals. He's also pretty much single handedly won the Davis Cup and is the only mens singles player to have won two Olympics golds. Cilic has been nowhere near this. He has one US Open, but in terms of consistency and ability, in my opinion its a disservice to say he's a wee bit ahead of Cilic.

Similar with Wawrinka - he's converted his only two grand slam finals - which is the only area he's been ahead of Murray. Murray has contested 11 grand slam finals. Anyway, I'm sure you won't take my word for it.... So take Stans instead. I'd say he knows a little more than us amateurs! :laughing:

Source: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/tennis/why-stan-wawrinka-epitomises-a-nononsense-champion/news-story/8a6b605135191adc63128f783beb6bd7

Also read this for further evidence: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Four_(tennis)

a quick search on Murray, Wawrinka and Cilic career statistics shows how far ahead Murray is

The inconvenient truth...

That you don't have a clue about tennis.

@@360 I've never claimed to, I'm just a fan with an opinion!

It's nice of you to finally pop-up up with a response - I can see your +/- log, and for the last couple of years, you've just lingered in the background -1'ing all of my posts! It's very weird... borderline obsessive! I'd say you've been burning to post that! :laughing:

I'll give you a second inconvenient truth: Teesside 'University' isn't actually a 'University'... it's a glamourised Polytechnic!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It's nice of you to finally pop-up up with a response - I can see your +/- log, and for the last couple of years, you've just lingered in the background -1'ing all of my posts! It's very weird... borderline obsessive! I'd say you've been burning to post that! :laughing:

I'll give you a second inconvenient truth: Teesside 'University' isn't actually a 'University'... it's a glamourised Polytechnic!

The +/- logs should be public anyway.

Post it then...

• Downvote 1

St Johnstone have consistently made the top 6, but they aren't in the big 6 of Scottish football, because it doesn't exist.

Murray has never been comparable with the other 3.

He's better than the rest, but not near the level of the others.

Agree with you that 'He's better than the rest, but not near the level of the others.'

However, they always be comparable because, as the article documents, they've consistently been the top 4 players for about 10 years. Murrays record of reaching grand slam finals and semi finals is comparable with theirs... however, because they're better than him, his conversion rate is much lower.

The other three are obviously on another level... but this table does a good job of summing up about where Murray stands, with respect to others over the last 30 years or so: The likes of Wawrinka and Cilic don't come close.

zvs8eq.jpg

+1.

360 wielding the minus 1 in the Teeside halls of residence :laughing:

Tragic.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

+1.

360 wielding the minus 1 in the Teeside halls of residence :laughing:

Tragic.

The +/- logs should be public anyway.

Post it then...

Weird that the clown (@sonoftherock) has responded to other posts but ignored mine... almost like he's lying or something.

Proof, please.

• Downvote 2

Wawrinka wins this third slam in four sets.

Djokovic didn't look half the player he was earlier in the season.

Unsurprisingly, his usual antics began when the fourth set was threatening to get away from him. Rolling around on the ground, requesting medical time outs... first it was his toe, then it was cramp. Even McEnroe said he wasn't buying it... Credit to Wawrinka - he never lets himself get distracted when Djokovic starts his carry on.

They're even on slams... but you can't really compare the rest of their careers.

Murray has won many more masters. Amazingly Wawrinka has only won one masters event. Murray has also been way more consistent in terms of his ranking and going deep into grand slams. When

The two gold medals are another plus for Murray.

As mentioned in another message, these comments were made when they were both on 2 a piece. Not a lot has really changed since then... Murray has an extra olympic gold, but they're now on 3 grand slams each.

Surprisingly given he and Murray have both won two majors, Wawrinka says the Scot is “well ahead of me” in career achievements.

“Now that I’ve won a second grand slam (Australian Open and French) people say I’m closer to him because I have won two and he’s won two as well,” he said.

“But if you were to compare our two careers he’s well ahead of me given all the titles, the finals, No.2 in the world, and he has so many Masters 1000, as well.

“He’s in the Big 4. You know, there is a reason for this.

“Maybe he has fewer titles, fewer titles than the other big three, but he’s always been with them during the semis, the finals. His career is very, very impressive.”

This is quite a good graphic... Murrays consistency has been amazing over such a long period of time (He is also two years younger than stan) versus Wawrinka conversion rate - which is remarkable in it's own way - three GS finals and 3 wins..

jukes.jpg

The history books will show Wawrinka as winning every slam final he's been in which looks impressive. If I remember correctly nadal was injured during the Aussie final and it wasn't much of a contest.

He blew Djokovic away in the French and he deserves credit for yesterday, I'm not buying djokovic's injuries, he's always hurt when he is losing and magically recovers after it. Well done to Wawrinka for not being distracted by it.

Murray has lost too many slam finals in my opinion though.

Even against the current greats he should have a few more slams to his name.

No argument here, if he could maintain his focus and concentration more often he would have won at least two or three more slams. I still believe he will win another two slams before he retires.

In the end he will have lost more finals than he's won but it's still a fantastic career.

To be fair, Murray has faced incredible players playing a ridiculous level in some of those slams that no matter what he done he wasn't getting fuck all out of them.

Was happy enough with the run from Del Potro, 50/1 was what I got the day he beat Djok at wimbledon and went off at 12s, bit of fun and he's looking a wee bit fitter again.

To be fair, Murray has faced incredible players playing a ridiculous level in some of those slams that no matter what he done he wasn't getting fuck all out of them.

Aye. It's almost as if him at his best isn't near as good as the other 3.

I'll reiterate - there is (was) a Big 3, with Murray the best of the rest and slightly ahead of Wawrinka by virtue of monkey tournament wins.

They're even on slams... but you can't really compare the rest of their careers.

Murray has won many more masters. Amazingly Wawrinka has only won one masters event. Murray has also been way more consistent in terms of his ranking and going deep into grand slams. When

The two gold medals are another plus for Murray.

As mentioned in another message, these comments were made when they were both on 2 a piece. Not a lot has really changed since then... Murray has an extra olympic gold, but they're now on 3 grand slams each.

This is quite a good graphic... Murrays consistency has been amazing over such a long period of time (He is also two years younger than stan) versus Wawrinka conversion rate - which is remarkable in it's own way - three GS finals and 3 wins..

jukes.jpg

Aye. It's almost as if him at his best isn't near as good as the other 3.

I'll reiterate - there is (was) a Big 3, with Murray the best of the rest and slightly ahead of Wawrinka by virtue of monkey tournament wins.

...and two Olympic Gold medals! From the graphics above you can see that Wawrinka only really emerged at as a competitor towards the back-end of 2013. In that time, although he's won 3... he wasn't consistently making the business end as much as Murray and his world ranking has always fluctuated.

Murray has been a top 4 player since 2008. I believe he'll stay there through to 2018. That would be 10 years at the top. Wawrinka has converted his GS's but he only been a factor for the past few seasons. He is also two years older than Murray at 31 y/o.

...and two Olympic Gold medals! From the graphics above you can see that Wawrinka only really emerged at as a competitor towards the back-end of 2013. In that time, although he's won 3... he wasn't consistently making the business end as much as Murray and his world ranking has always fluctuated.

Murray has been a top 4 player since 2008. I believe he'll stay there through to 2018. That would be 10 years at the top. Wawrinka has converted his GS's but he only been a factor for the past few seasons. He is also two years older than Murray at 31 y/o.

Clutching at straws, min.