Dominic Ball

The 22-year-old, who can play at centre-half or right-back, spent the majority of last season with the Dons, making 19 appearances.

He made his Dons debut in the 0-0 draw with Hearts at Murrayfield and although game time was initially limited, he played in every post-split fixture and was an integral part as the Dons season finished on a high with victory at Celtic Park on the final day – the Dons only conceded one goal during those final five games.

A defensively minded player, Ball played a big part in the club securing second spot. His ability to break up opposition attacks in the middle of the park enabled others to venture further forward.

Aberdeen manager Derek McInnes commented, “I’m delighted to welcome Dom back. He showed exactly what he is capable of in the latter part of the league campaign when he played a vital role in our post-split games during which we were undefeated.”

Not a chance Shinnie will play left back.

Have to agree unfortunately. Plus McInnes sees Considine as one of the first names on the team sheet it seems.

Have to wonder though, having been here last year and not really featured, then to be given a chance and played really well in defensive midfield last few games would Ball not have saught more assurances this time round over where he would play and how often? Otherwise would he not have been better trying to manoeuvre a move somewhere where hed get those assurances?

shinnie could play more or less at left back than last season that's to be determined by the form of the other players.

what you can guarantee is Shinnie will play centre mid in the biggest games which includes the first 3 matches of the season

Which means we are horribly exposed at left back and the opposition will take advantage of that.
  • Upvote 1

Some people may be surprised to hear that I agree with this ^

Fingers crossed on Mulumbu though.

Happy with this. Thought he was excellent when played defensive midfield, hung out to dry at RB etc. Plus he will know the squad now so hopefully able to start strong.

Ball and Gleeson centre mid, forrester in front of them and shinnie finally at left back?

Shinnie is not going to be playing left back unless injury dictates it.

Have to agree unfortunately. Plus McInnes sees Considine as one of the first names on the team sheet it seems.

Have to wonder though, having been here last year and not really featured, then to be given a chance and played really well in defensive midfield last few games would Ball not have saught more assurances this time round over where he would play and how often? Otherwise would he not have been better trying to manoeuvre a move somewhere where hed get those assurances?

I agree that he was unfairly punted to RB for the semi, but it seems that a myth has now developed that Ball didn't get a chance in defensive midfield until after the split.

He was given a chance there numerous times throughout the season prior to the split. and was absolute dogshit.

5 decent games out of 19.

Cheap cover. Hopefully we don't have to call on him too much.

Did you not say on another thread that mcinnes didn't try him centre mid till post split and lament him for that?!

No I did not.

I said that either mciness has gotten desperate OR he terribly mismanaged Ball prior to the split.

I did not state McInnes did not try him in DMC until after the split as that would have been untrue.

For the avoidance of doubt, my understanding of the definition of mismanaging does not require said player to be played out of position. It could include Mon to Friday training, motivation etc.

However, futher to that in a reply to one of your posts I clarified that the McInnes mismanaging Ball was not the one I was convinced by and indicated that I thought Ball was not very good.

EDIT. I should clarify that I do hope that Ball can recreate his post split form for whole of the season.

Yeah I know.

I'm hoping that's just a communication think to an extent. I think cover for Devlin might be ok but I agree with everyone else that he looked terrible at RB

I think he's definitely going to be cover for defence as well as bolstering the midfield.

Rooney off the wage bill.

I think we're going all in for a striker.

:-)

In all seriousness not needed now with Ball and Ferguson providing some steel.

Ball played well in the top six split but was poor prior to that - particularly against Motherwell. He did well enough in midfield but keep him out of our defence. I really hope the signing of Ball was not due to DM missing out on all his other targets. I'm personally underwhelmed by this.

I'm delighted with the signings of Gleeson (essentially Jack/ Tansey's replacement) and Forrester (Christie's replacement) however we still haven't replaced McLean. Ferguson is still very young and seems to have a lot of potential but I'm not sure he's going to be ready for first team action. IMO we also need to sign another winger as I'm still not convinced by Scotty Wright.

Happy with this. Thought he was excellent when played defensive midfield, hung out to dry at RB etc. Plus he will know the squad now so hopefully able to start

strong.

Ball and Gleeson centre mid, forrester in front of them and shinnie finally at left back?

Team always looks better to me with Shinnie at left back.

Ball played well in the top six split but was poor prior to that - particularly against Motherwell. He did well enough in midfield but keep him out of our defence. I really hope the signing of Ball was not due to DM missing out on all his other targets. I'm personally underwhelmed by this.

I'm delighted with the signings of Gleeson (essentially Jack/ Tansey's replacement) and Forrester (Christie's replacement) however we still haven't replaced McLean. Ferguson is still very young and seems to have a lot of potential but I'm not sure he's going to be ready for first team action. IMO we also need to sign another winger as I'm still not convinced by Scotty Wright.

Forrester is McLeans replacement.