New Stadium Approved

I know, but Aberdeen are already being asked to widen the dual carriageway, build/widen the footpath, build a bridge, install temporary traffic lights at the junction next to the stadium entrance, put on public transport, pay for a CPZ, and whatever else they'll have to do. Can't think of many football clubs who are asked to do so much outwith the footprint of their stadium / training ground.

You accept the club will have to pay for some stuff especially if the stadium being there is going to be an inconvenience to local residents, but Aberdeen council to date have still done absolutely fuck all to help the club (and bear in mind they're building at Kingsford in the first place because the council messed about with Loirston), while Aberdeenshire council still appear to be actively against it despite suggesting a fucking site a few hundreds yards away from Kingsford years ago.

Neither council still- ayear on from it getting passed - have put any thought in, or even suggested some independent study like Glasgow have just done, into improving the public transport options on match day.

Others councils would be on it straight away.

Shite.

"Planning gain" is a standard part of any major development. Unless you're Donald Trump...

Shite.

"Planning gain" is a standard part of any major development. Unless you're Donald Trump...

Aye right enough, don't know what I was thinking. The council should just stick to deciding how much is going to be spent on Christmas decorations this year, and the football club will sort everything else.

Lol^^^

Backed the wrong horse?

The council aren't responsible for the affairs of AFC.

AFC are huge contributors to Aberdeen City so they should be. I'm not disagreeing with you as I know in Scotland the outlook of local councils is to distance themselves unless it involves trying to associate themselves with success.

The council aren't responsible for the affairs of AFC.

Bit if a nothing statement that. I'm not sure that Panda was suggesting that at all.

When traffic/transit/public, once off private land, are circulating on public roads and walkways, the council become absolutely responsible. That's why we all pay huge amounts of tax to the cunts.

I know, but Aberdeen are already being asked to widen the dual carriageway, build/widen the footpath, build a bridge, install temporary traffic lights at the junction next to the stadium entrance, put on public transport, pay for a CPZ, and whatever else they'll have to do. Can't think of many football clubs who are asked to do so much outwith the footprint of their stadium / training ground.

You accept the club will have to pay for some stuff especially if the stadium being there is going to be an inconvenience to local residents, but Aberdeen council to date have still done absolutely fuck all to help the club (and bear in mind they're building at Kingsford in the first place because the council messed about with Loirston), while Aberdeenshire council still appear to be actively against it despite suggesting a fucking site a few hundreds yards away from Kingsford years ago.

Neither council still- ayear on from it getting passed - have put any thought in, or even suggested some independent study like Glasgow have just done, into improving the public transport options on match day.

Others councils would be on it straight away.

I thought all the clubs in England doing it pay massive amounts towards the public transport improvements, area restructuring and general gentrification for everyone.

What could Aberdeen city council do? It blows my mind that we're building it in a place with no potential for trains or trams in the future. Even if we built it for 30,000 the infrastructure isn't there.

What could Aberdeen city council do? It blows my mind that we're building it in a place with no potential for trains or trams in the future. Even if we built it for 30,000 the infrastructure isn't there.

Well aye, think we're all agreed it would be a far better idea to build it somewhere with the potential for a train/tram/monorail. Loirston would have been that option but the council fucked that option up and haven't done anything else to help the club find somewhere to build, which is what has pushed Aberdeen to Kingsford.

I don't blame the club at all for picking Kingsford. They picked land that was affordable to buy, has plenty of space for what they want to do, and keeps them within the city perimeter when there were Aberdeenshire locations that actually would have been easier from a public transport point of view (Portlethen for one, Blackburn too since it's closer to the train line).

As for what can the council do - why not commission some sort of study into transport options, look at what they can do not only for football traffic but for that wider area since the population is growing out there and there's also a rise in businesses? You know, like what Glasgow have just done for the airport (I don't hear anyone saying it should be the airport's responsibility to sort transport out).

There are a variety of funds they can pitch for. The city region deal, the money being put in to improve transport across Scotland, the money being pledged towards green projects.

The plans might not necessarily be as grand as a train line being built. It might be something simple like making one lane of the AWPR buses only on match day and linking it with Dyce/Stonehaven railways or something.

I dunno, I'm no traffic or transport expert, but I'd be looking to get people who are to sit down and come up with options. They've three years advance warning the stadium is coming at the moment. If in three years time the only thing we have is the same shuttle bus plan that was in the stadium application then I'd say that was really fucking lazy.

• 2 weeks later...

New story on EE stating stadium will rise to £50m in cost, as a lot of us on here had suggested.

Total project cost for Phase 1 and 2 now looking at more like £65m.

If we want good facilities we will have to pay the price.

I think it was inevitable .

I believe they are hoping to be in for 2022/2023 season which seems somewhat unrealistic but you never know.

New story on EE stating stadium will rise to £50m in cost, as a lot of us on here had suggested.

Total project cost for Phase 1 and 2 now looking at more like £65m.

If we want good facilities we will have to pay the price.

I thought all the options that cost that much were financially unfeasible.

And it'll cost more. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

They said last night that it would likely take 4 years.

So looking at 2023/24

Heard Wicks say three four years in the Saltire video.

If they're not doing anything this year about raising money for the stadium, it'll probably take the whole of next year at least for share issues and so on, up to the beginning of 2021.

Why it would be 2 and half years from that point I'm not sure. That seems extraordinarily slow progress.