Coronavirus

Henry

Just reading about the Brazilian strains, apparently they are infecting people who have already had it which would surely mean they are resistant to the vaccine as it stands. We're just going to end up vaccinating the same few million people over and over again. The poor old cunts will be like pin cushions. 

I'm genuinely starting to think that pubs, gigs, live football, overseas travel,are all finished. I just can't see how they'll ever be able to come back and if they do the majority of people will be too scared to go so they won't be viable. The politicians will have such a hard on for them all that the stupid fucking rules will eventually sicken the people that do want to go so much that even if they do come back they'll quickly die a death.

16 minutes ago, manboobs109 said:

Just reading about the Brazilian strains, apparently they are infecting people who have already had it which would surely mean they are resistant to the vaccine as it stands. We're just going to end up vaccinating the same few million people over and over again. The poor old cunts will be like pin cushions. 

I'm genuinely starting to think that pubs, gigs, live football, overseas travel,are all finished. I just can't see how they'll ever be able to come back and if they do the majority of people will be too scared to go so they won't be viable. The politicians will have such a hard on for them all that the stupid fucking rules will eventually sicken the people that do want to go so much that even if they do come back they'll quickly die a death.

They're happening in other countries (ones who're capable of dealing with a pandemic). 

1 minute ago, Parklife said:

I don't mean going abroad to them. I just mean the pandemic won't last forever. Even the Spanish flu didn't & we've had pretty major medical advances since then. 

It's fucking depressing but one day it WILL be over. 

But this "isn't like the flu" we keep being told. It's mutating all the time and appears to be getting more infectious and more deadly. If the NHS is overwhelmed and we're all sitting in the house how can it not be overwhelmed when there's gatherings of tens of thousands of people all over the country, wee indoor spaces filled with people with no ventilation, no social distancing. Even if treatments get better people will still be taking up beds, equipment. 

4 minutes ago, manboobs109 said:

But this "isn't like the flu" we keep being told. It's mutating all the time and appears to be getting more infectious and more deadly. If the NHS is overwhelmed and we're all sitting in the house how can it not be overwhelmed when there's gatherings of tens of thousands of people all over the country, wee indoor spaces filled with people with no ventilation, no social distancing. Even if treatments get better people will still be taking up beds, equipment. 

Ive not seen anything saying it's getting more deadly. 

Flu mutates too. We make a new vaccine every year for it. 

We'll get there, I believe that. It's utter shit now though, there's no doubting that. 

4 minutes ago, Parklife said:

We'll get there, I believe that. It's utter shit now though, there's no doubting that. 

Some years the flu vaccine is only 15% effective. So instead of 1000 a day dying we'll have 850. Will that mean a shift in policy?

Also why are more people dying now than in the spring of it's not more deadly?

26 minutes ago, manboobs109 said:

Some years the flu vaccine is only 15% effective. So instead of 1000 a day dying we'll have 850. Will that mean a shift in policy?

Also why are more people dying now than in the spring of it's not more deadly?

Don’t think it’s unusual for higher numbers of folk carking it in winter compared to the spring 

Sooner we accept we’re going to have to live with Covid like we do with the hundreds of other diseases, viruses and bugs that can kill humans the better 

2 minutes ago, NEM said:

Don’t think it’s unusual for higher numbers of folk carking it in winter compared to the spring 

Sooner we accept we’re going to have to live with Covid like we do with the hundreds of other diseases, viruses and bugs that can kill humans the better 

I don't think we will though. We're a year in and things are only getting worse, not better. In another year we'll be in a very similar, if not worse, situation.

2 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

They don't know how it spreads yet. I suspect you're right that lockdowns and masks only reduce the chances of transmission. There is talk that air conditioning and the recycling of air in hospitals will be identified as superspreaders. This is an airborne virus that lingers. 

Yip, they've admitted it themselves with the "open the window to blow away covid particles" chat. You can't even open a window in hospitals.

Public Health England (PHE) has today (Wednesday, 18 July 2018) published data on the effectiveness of the flu vaccine in the 2017 to 2018 season. The data show that overall, flu vaccine was 15% effective in all age groups. However, effectiveness varied considerably. By age-group, the vaccine was overall:

• 26.9% effective in children aged 2 to 17 years (who received the nasal spray)
  • 12.2% in at risk groups aged 18 to 64 years
  • 10.1% in those aged 65 and over

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/flu-vaccine-effectiveness-in-2017-to-2018-season

If the vaccine is as effective as this will we just accept the thousands of deaths, the thousands of cases of "long covid"

Just now, Grays Babylon 1875 said:

Come on Moobs son.

Big boy pants and all that.

Grab a beer, play some Soundgarden loud, put your fist in your dogs mouth and swing the wee cunt about.

We're men here.  Stay hard!! ??

I'm fine man, chilling with a ginger beer, watching Fargo, talking shite on the hat. Just don't see any benefit for blind optimism. We've got to look at reality and the reality is that this nonsense is here to stay. 

44 minutes ago, Parklife said:

We don't make a new flu vaccine every year. It takes the flu virus around 8 years to fully mutate and if you catch the flu (and I mean you really do get it, not some self certificated exaggerated cold symptoms that most folk go off sick with) then you cannot get it again until it's fully mutated.....people who claim to get it ever year or 2 are lying.

The actual vaccine always contains last year's main local strain. They then add 2 further strains as "best guesses" from those that have been prevalent elsewhere in the world. (the viruses are inactivated)

Covid is massively more infectious because we had no initial resistance to what was a brand new virus. The dangerous thing about it is it is mutating at a bizarrely rapid rate of knots. 17 strains known of so far from just one in 15 months. 

Just now, rocket_scientist said:

It doesn't exist in Guernsey. It was on the news. All in a pub, no masks, breathing all over each other, just like the old days.

Quite why it's spreading out of control on the mainland is as yet unknown and all speculation. Without being able to identify problems, without having the political maturity to acknowledge that it exists, the solutions are impossible to introduce. 

Tiny wee island innit. Stopping international travel, test certificates, quarantine, none of it is sustainable.

6 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

We don't make a new flu vaccine every year. It takes the flu virus around 8 years to fully mutate and if you catch the flu (and I mean you really do get it, not some self certificated exaggerated cold symptoms that most folk go off sick with) then you cannot get it again until it's fully mutated.....people who claim to get it ever year or 2 are lying.

The actual vaccine always contains last year's main local strain. They then add 2 further strains as "best guesses" from those that have been prevalent elsewhere in the world. (the viruses are inactivated)

Covid is massively more infectious because we had no initial resistance to what was a brand new virus. The dangerous thing about it is it is mutating at a bizarrely rapid rate of knots. 17 strains known of so far from just one in 15 months. 

Thanks for the clarification. 

When you say "fully mutate", what does that mean? They say one of the Covid strains has 15 mutations. How close is that to fully mutating?