81 -86 v 88-93

For the couple of seasons we got, I've never seen a better penalty box striker than Frankie  - just a fucking machine.

Jess in his prime was a thing of beauty. I'll ignore Gilhaus and Nicholas, though Charlie Nicholas at celtic was the one scottish player i feared - Jess was the diamond of that era.

A modern day Frank Macdougall at full fitness -  game over

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, frankie_mac's_4 said:

For the couple of seasons we got, I've never seen a better penalty box striker than Frankie  - just a fucking machine.

Jess in his prime was a thing of beauty. I'll ignore Gilhaus and Nicholas, though Charlie Nicholas at celtic was the one scottish player i feared - Jess was the diamond of that era.

A modern day Frank Macdougall at full fitness -  game over

Frunkie was ace and a great guy to have a beer or 6 with.

Has to be 81-86. Although I do suspect that either of Gillhaus or Nicholas would have supplanted Black from the CWC winning  starting 11 had they been with us at that point.

I consider myself both lucky and priveleged to have seen the sides from both eras. The reds really did go steamin' in

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Schapenneuker said:

81-86. 

Only Nicholas and Gillhaus would have come close to getting a game for the Gothenburg side. 

Let's not forget as well that the 81-86 side also had Strachan and Weir setting up 200 chances a season. 

P.S. Steve Archibald signed for Spurs in 1980. 

Shite - both behind Jess in the queue 

81-86 for me as well. McDougall and the person he replaced McGhee (the player not the manager) were superb. As stated earlier, a special mention must got to Peter Weir from that side. Fantastic winger that created loads of chance, tore Mick Mills of Ipswich a new one in the UEFA win and was a cert he would get a couple of players red carded (much harder to get a red card in those days) like Walter Kidd of Hearts, Alan Sneddon of Hibs or any of the crap Rangers had playing for them at that time like Ally Dawson etc. Even made a past in Danny McGrain look ordinary on many an ocasion

5 minutes ago, King Street Loon said:

I suspect a fair few will suggest 81-86, but that 88-93 collection of forwards was pretty fucking good. I'd add Booth to the 88-93 group too.

What you think. If the latter group played in the former group do you think we would've still had that level of success? I think undoubtedly so.

I'd say only Black and McDougall could replace any of the second group

7 minutes ago, Bournemouth Gee said:

Jess was the most gifted player I can remember playing for us. Saw some games in the early 80's but can't remember much about that side.

Jess and Gillhaus for me would get into the Gothenburg side

Jess for me would only have taken Hewitt's place on the bench.

However I'm perfectly content with the way history actually panned out

47 minutes ago, frankie_mac's_4 said:

Away min - Strachan at AFC and at MUFC was world class more seasons than not. Peter Weir would be undrop-able also

Opinions, are great for me Black cup final scoring record and his prowess in the air sees him in , only Christiano Ronaldo for me comes close to Blacks arial ability

• Upvote 1
38 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Harsh to start it the year king Joey left.

He'd slot into any team.  For me the greatest of Dons legends.  Lovely man too. 

Had a great day out with him a few years ago at a Scotland match at Hampden.  They say never meet yer heroes and I was nervous but fuck me what a gent he was the whole day.  I text him now and again.  He always replies. 

11 hours ago, ericblack4boss said:

Which of these two spells saw the best collection of attacking talent at the club.?

81-86

Archibald, McGhee, Hewitt, Black, McDougall, Strachan , Stark ,

88-93

Jess, Nicholas, Gillhaus, Paatelainen,Booth Shearer, Mason.

You missed out Davie Dodds ?

In all seriousness however, started going properly in 1992 so only remember Jess (best player Iver ever seen), Mixu and Shearer. Those 3 would win us the league by a considerable distance these days.

Don't remember much of Mason and Gilhaus while actually going - obviously from highlights and clips over the years are brilliant footballers

Back on track.  81-86 for me too as it was a fantastic time to be a Dons fan.  I don't think anything can or will match them days.  Everything just blended perfectly and hence the success we had then.

Saw some fantastic players before that era too mind.  Obviously The King of the Beachend as I mentioned earlier but also the likes of Martin Buchan, Zoltan Varga, Bumper Graham, Jim Forrest, Derek (Cup Tie) Mckay, Jinky Smith and many others.

• Upvote 1