Kelle Roos

53 minutes ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

Re old GK partnerships Im on record as not Dereks biggest fan but getting in Alexander to sit on the bench was a great move.

Alexander and Cerny were very good quality back up keepers.

Going back to Roos - I worry that dropping him will result in him going in a massive huff, rather than wanting to fight for his place, which may backfire is Doohan and / or Ritchie turn out to be equally hopeless.

3 hours ago, Ramandu said:

Nah. 

Based on absolutely nothing, I assume that a GK coach is very much needed. Keeper doesn't do the same training as the other players, and it would be a lonely and rubbish job through the week if he had nobody to keep him motivated/not bored. I imagine that the role of GK coach is 20% technical coaching and 90% buddying.

Aye, perhaps min.

Like @Sooper-hanzalludes to, training for goalkeepers used to involve the goalkeepers training away from the outfield players (e.g. Gunn and Leighton), in terms of reactionary and reflex work, then they would be integrated into the training programme of the rest of the first team.

This would involve the usual shotstopping and crossing, along with fitness work, and playing in a game towards the end of a session.

Good goalkeepers who have made the breakthrough into professional football shouldn't need much isolated training as the goalkeeping essentials of concentration, anticipation, timing, and bravery comes from within and cannot be coached. 

2 hours ago, Schapenneuker said:

I've watched it back a few times and the first goal is one of the worst errors I've ever seen a top flight keeper make. 

He literally could have bent down and picked it up. 

The only reasons for such an error are a huge lack of concentration, or that it was deliberate. We have to accept that it was the first, because the second option is just to stupid to contemplate. 

Either way, he's costing us points with his erratic performances. It reminds me of Joe Lewis in the 6-0 Hibs game....a guy who had no interest in trying. 

We can't go on giving him the opportunity to cost us points every week, because that's what's happening. Get him out of there, and give Doohan a chnace. 

Fully agree min.

He could have stubbed oot his cigar, put down his book, and put away his deckchair and still have time to make such a simple save.

Truly atrocious and unforgivable goalkeeping which cost us yet again.

I thought his "attempt" at a save at the tims' 4th goal in the 6-0 thrashing at celtic park earlier this season was fucking abysmal, charlatan-esque and taking the piss, but the one the other night that led to RIFC's first goal was worse. That's some achievement.🤬

52 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

Alexander and Cerny were very good quality back up keepers.

Going back to Roos - I worry that dropping him will result in him going in a massive huff, rather than wanting to fight for his place, which may backfire is Doohan and / or Ritchie turn out to be equally hopeless.

They really can't be any worse. And if he does go in a huff after he's been pathetic for so long then good. He can fack off

We really need to see if Ritchie might possibly be the solution long term so I'd be giving him the starting spot on Saturday with Doohan remaining on the bench. 

I know what happened against Darvel but that was a one off situation with a manager who should have been sacked a few days earlier and who had lost the dressing room coupled with a bad refereeing decision combining to produce the worst result we will ever suffer. Dropping Roos completely for the Bonnyrigg match (for different reasons I'd also be inclined to rest Devlin and Miovski but at least have them on the bench in case of injury to the starters) shouldn't really make a material difference to the end result and might give him a kick up the arse to show he has to improve to get /keep his place in the few months he has left with us. He's playing for a contract somewhere so it's in his interests to buck up his ideas but any more fuck ups like occurred at Ibrox and I'd take him out permanently and play Ritchie till the end of the season

• Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, Sooper-hanz said:

Shitty save aside  I thought his lack of attempt to even spread himself for Motondo’s goal was worse. Most keepers would be throwing themselves across the goal just to try and block.

Roos's attempt at redemption was equally as poor. That boy Matondo is fucking honking as well. His strike that led to their first goal was misdirected, woeful, and hopeful at the very best.

6 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

We really need to see if Ritchie might possibly be the solution long term so I'd be giving him the starting spot on Saturday with Doohan remaining on the bench. 

I know what happened against Darvel but that was a one off situation with a manager who should have been sacked a few days earlier and who had lost the dressing room coupled with a bad refereeing decision combining to produce the worst result we will ever suffer. Dropping Roos completely for the Bonnyrigg match (for different reasons I'd also be inclined to rest Devlin and Miovski but at least have them on the bench in case of injury to the starters) shouldn't really make a material difference to the end result and might give him a kick up the arse to show he has to improve to get /keep his place in the few months he has left with us. He's playing for a contract somewhere so it's in his interests to buck up his ideas but any more fuck ups like occurred at Ibrox and I'd take him out permanently and play Ritchie till the end of the season

Ordinarily I'd say no way, but Roos has been SO horrendous that he can't keep his place

Is Ritchie here and not on loan?

If so, I'd play him

If he can't handle bonnyrigg  , it's better we know now anyway 

2 hours ago, sooth_stander said:

The Red Tinted Glesses boy said Hibs were efter Roos? 

Mind you, they have history for signing abominations for keepers.

How anyone could have watched Roos this season and thought he's the answer to their goalkeeping problems I've no idea

Roos has to be dropped. If he takes the huff more fool him . Its obvious he is leaving Aberdeen in the summer ( thank god ) any potential future club would surely take a dim view of any player dropping tools. Only time he was decent was when Gorter came in and he upped his game. Even remember Jo Lewis taking him out pre match to show him how to come and take crosses( never did it during the game mind you)

1 hour ago, Ten Caat said:

My thinking in games like this is to always start your best XI, throw the kitchen sink at the opposition, and then hopefully rest those that need it at HT with the game well in hand.

Bringing on the big guns after giving the opposition (Riath for example) something to hang on to just unnecessarily stacks the deck against you. 

17 minutes ago, Scotty_Toronto said:

My thinking in games like this is to always start your best XI, throw the kitchen sink at the opposition, and then hopefully rest those that need it at HT with the game well in hand.

Bringing on the big guns after giving the opposition (Riath for example) something to hang on to just unnecessarily stacks the deck against you. 

Ritchie has to get a shot at some point otherwise what's the point of having him. I struggle to see how playing him over Roos just now would be weakening our starting 11. Roos is costing us goals most games just now.

7 minutes ago, Andy_123 said:

Ritchie has to get a shot at some point otherwise what's the point of having him. I struggle to see how playing him over Roos just now would be weakening our starting 11. Roos is costing us goals most games just now.

FTR I have no problem with starting Ritchie on Saturday.

(If you hit 'expand' on the post I quoted you'll see I was referring to the suggestion that Devlin and Miovski not start or play.)

3 hours ago, Sooper-hanz said:

Shitty save aside  I thought his lack of attempt to even spread himself for Motondo’s goal was worse. Most keepers would be throwing themselves across the goal just to try and block.

Roos could have kicked the ball away at the first goal. I've seen harder hit pass backs .

4 hours ago, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

Aye, perhaps min.

Like @Sooper-hanzalludes to, training for goalkeepers used to involve the goalkeepers training away from the outfield players (e.g. Gunn and Leighton), in terms of reactionary and reflex work, then they would be integrated into the training programme of the rest of the first team.

This would involve the usual shotstopping and crossing, along with fitness work, and playing in a game towards the end of a session.

Good goalkeepers who have made the breakthrough into professional football shouldn't need much isolated training as the goalkeeping essentials of concentration, anticipation, timing, and bravery comes from within and cannot be coached. 

Come awa' min that's nonsense.

It's about repetition and practice.  For handling, timing, positioning, everything.  This will improve all aspects of it and make it become 'instinctive'. 

Granted,  Roos looks like he's practising fuck all and gradually getting worse.

3 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

Ritchie? Seriously? Mon ti fuck, TC man.

I’m all for “resting” Roos but surely it would be Doohan that came in for him?

1 hour ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Strongest outfield line up needs to start. 

This is our best chance of gatecrashing Europe and we can't afford to take any risks.

Also it's a good chance to bed in some of Warnock's ideas against what will hopefully be easier opposition. 

I’d agree we should put out a strong team on Saturday but no reason that Duk, Philips, Duncan, Polvara, MacDonald and Doohan shouldn’t come in for this one. Massive game v Well next midweek

45 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

Ritchie? Seriously? Mon ti fuck, TC man.

I’m all for “resting” Roos but surely it would be Doohan that came in for him?

I thought I'd made clear why and others seemed to get it and agreed but I'll explain again.

Doohan we already know is a steady professional who has played plenty matches, but nearly all at a lower level than we play at. We can probably assume he's going to be competent if called upon in emergency but at almost 26, it's unlikely (although certainly not impossible) he's ever going to be anything other than a back-up option at the top level.

Ritchie is the one we need to see in action as he's the one more likely (based purely on his younger age) to make a career as a top level goalkeeper. He's not going to improve simply playing U21 matches. The main reason for me wanting us using a different gk in this match is to put a rocket up Roos' arse. If it had been an SPL team we were facing in the cup on Saturday, I probably would have erred on the side of caution and went for Doohan as my choice. But it's an SFL2 team. If Ritchie fucks up, we are still likely to go through, and we'll also know he's not ready to step up. But if he does well, and then Roos goes back  to making the same errors, he'd surely be the choice to take over for the rest of the season (again if it proved that this was too much of a step up then Doohan is waiting as a competent alternative)

20 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

I thought I'd made clear why and others seemed to get it and agreed but I'll explain again.

Doohan we already know is a steady professional who has played plenty matches, but nearly all at a lower level than we play at. We can probably assume he's going to be competent if called upon in emergency but at almost 26, it's unlikely (although certainly not impossible) he's ever going to be anything other than a back-up option at the top level.

Ritchie is the one we need to see in action as he's the one more likely (based purely on his younger age) to make a career as a top level goalkeeper. He's not going to improve simply playing U21 matches. The main reason for me wanting us using a different gk in this match is to put a rocket up Roos' arse. If it had been an SPL team we were facing in the cup on Saturday, I probably would have erred on the side of caution and went for Doohan as my choice. But it's an SFL2 team. If Ritchie fucks up, we are still likely to go through, and we'll also know he's not ready to step up. But if he does well, and then Roos goes back  to making the same errors, he'd surely be the choice to take over for the rest of the season (again if it proved that this was too much of a step up then Doohan is waiting as a competent alternative)

If Tom Ritchie doesn't get a start on Saturday, he never will.

Surely by now he has had enough game time out on loan as well as playing for our U18s to pitch him into our starting XI in two days time. 

22 hours ago, Millertime said:

Ordinarily I'd say no way, but Roos has been SO horrendous that he can't keep his place

Is Ritchie here and not on loan?

If so, I'd play him

If he can't handle bonnyrigg  , it's better we know now anyway 

Yes he's here but I'm surprised he didn't go out on loan in January.

The reason he wasn't sent out on loan in the summer is that we had to register 3 keepers for the European games plus he filled one of the "home grown" places.

18 minutes ago, GDON21 said:

Ross Doohan is crap btw. Cheap squad filler for european home grown quota. This will be Gary Woods when he came in for Lewis all over again. Stick with Roos as he is the best we've got and change in the summer.

Probably correct, pretty grim we have to continue with a goalkeeper who's costing us a goal per game because the alternative is even worse.

Poor planning from the club to have 3 such average keepers on our books, with various degrees of competency. I just think it’s laughable to suggest having the poorest and least experienced of the 3 between the sticks tomorrow but time will tell.

Will be interesting to see if Warno could prise an additional keeper out of Cormack’s budget for the remainder of the season - there’s a Scottish Cup to play for ‘ere.

22 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

Poor planning from the club to have 3 such average keepers on our books, with various degrees of competency. I just think it’s laughable to suggest having the poorest and least experienced of the 3 between the sticks tomorrow but time will tell.

Will be interesting to see if Warno could prise an additional keeper out of Cormack’s budget for the remainder of the season - there’s a Scottish Cup to play for ‘ere.

What's your evidence to say he's the poorest?

Right now it would take a 'keeper who really is fucking shit to be any worse than Roos is. But no one has really seen Ritchie play other than those who have watched him in U18/21 matches or those who saw him when out on loan.

My actual expectation is that Warnock will stick rather than twist and just play Roos tomorrow. But he definitely shouldn't. Roos needs dropping to get the message through to him that he needs to improve.

If he was dropped in favour of Doohan I'd be ok with it. I'd just prefer we went with Ritchie as he's the only one of the 3 who might still be here in a couple of years time

• Upvote 1