Leighton Clarkson

Been MIA this whole season

Every time he gets the ball it’s a punt up the park/an attempted hollywood pass that comes to nothing 9/10.

Most including myself were blaming Robson for it a few weeks ago but it’s seems strange that’s it’s still happening time and time again, especially when he played his best football last season under Robson, thought Barron was the complete opposite when he came on and had a very good game, shame he will most likely be offski in the summer.

8 minutes ago, Willo flood said:

Been MIA this whole season

Every time he gets the ball it’s a punt up the park/an attempted hollywood pass that comes to nothing 9/10.

Most including myself were blaming Robson for it a few weeks ago but it’s seems strange that’s it’s still happening time and time again, especially when he played his best football last season under Robson, thought Barron was the complete opposite when he came on and had a very good game, shame he will most likely be offski in the summer.

It seems strange that it is still happening? We are still playing under Robson and we will continue to play the same as long as Agnew tells him to. 

12 minutes ago, Willo flood said:

Then why didn’t it happen last season when he played a similar role under Robson?

I thought I was alluding to that. I don't give any real plaudits to Robson for the players immediate reaction to Goodwin getting the sack. That was more about them showing themselves as not the reason for the poor results, that's 'the new manager bounce'. 

The more influence Robson and Agnew have the more the players like Clarkson are dragged down. 

That's just my take on it, how I'm seeing it.

• Dildo 1
7 hours ago, ahead on alphabet said:

I thought I was alluding to that. I don't give any real plaudits to Robson for the players immediate reaction to Goodwin getting the sack. That was more about them showing themselves as not the reason for the poor results, that's 'the new manager bounce'. 

The more influence Robson and Agnew have the more the players like Clarkson are dragged down. 

Yet Miovski has improved considerably and continues to do so. I guess that’s nothing to do with Robson and Agnew and a complete coincidence though, right?

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, ahead on alphabet said:

Any time the camera panned to the sideline, it was Agnew talking and Robson listening 

• Downvote 1
21 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I understand McGrath is playing well but we need to play clarkson in his role and Barron in Clarkson's role. 

Clarkson as the deepest midfielder simply isn't getting the best out of him. 

Yeah mcgrath has some incredible technique, need to try find a way to keep him in

Or, be brutal and its either him or Clarkson in the 10

Playing Clarkson deeper is like asking Pavarotti to sing Wonderwall

• Downvote 1
40 minutes ago, Don Fonte said:

You can tell he's not happy and why he apparently regrets signing already.  He's playing like someone who isn't happy and is frustrated by the tactics.

Push him further forward or bench him.

Nothing to do with tactics some of the simple passes he couldn't make last night. 

He knew the approach from last season, and how Barry wants to play. I don't have any sympathy if he does in fact regret signing. 

It is a failing of Robsons though that we can't seem to get Clarkson and Duk at it. 

Equally he deserves credit because Miovksi has improved a great deal since his appointment. 

36 minutes ago, Big Hat Logan said:

Yet Miovski has improved considerably and continues to do so. I guess that’s nothing to do with Robson and Agnew and a complete coincidence though, right?

And Clarkson was happy to sign a 4yr deal having been managed by Robson and Agnew for 6 months..

11 minutes ago, DD1903 said:

He's being played out of position. I'd rather him in place of McGrath tbh

There's been countless opportunuties this season for him to juist take a few more strides forward and pick a pass, but he seems keen to play slide rule, 40 yard passes or dinked balls over the top. These are pretty difficult to pull off. Madison plays the same sort of role for Spurs and England now and did for Leicester. He seems to cope ok with that position.

He was doing more work in midfield when Robson took over in terms of winning posession back. He's lost that right now and hence why at times, we struggle a bitty in midfield with just the 3 central players in a diamond.

He'll come good, but I believe Barron brings more qualities to the side at this moment in time. Last night, he wasn't afraid to pick ball up deep and then move into a more advanced area. Clarkson's lost that mindset.

1 hour ago, Don Fonte said:

You can tell he's not happy and why he apparently regrets signing already.  He's playing like someone who isn't happy and is frustrated by the tactics.

Push him further forward or bench him.

I presumed he wasn't happy with himself when he was subbed given he seemed incapable of finding a team mate all night.

12 minutes ago, Sooper-hanz said:

No chance. McGrath is a superb player and does things quickly.It’s either Barron or Clarkson ( whoever is on form) and that’s a great option to have. 

Yeah. Really didn't appreciate how gifted McGrath was until he played for us. 

Really like him 

1 hour ago, CCB III said:

To Leightons credit; he puts a lot of graft in. Led the press countless times last night. Hopefully we find a way that suits him. 

Good point, since Robson took over he's having to do more of the dirty work (not a bad thing) but I think it stifles him as he ends up tackling way more than a player of his style should be as he's deep, that said he can and has to do better himself.

I'd also mention that in the second half we saw what he's capable of, great ball over the top to Miovski that set up a potential chance.

6 minutes ago, minijc said:

Good point, since Robson took over he's having to do more of the dirty work (not a bad thing) but I think it stifles him as he ends up tackling way more than a player of his style should be as he's deep, that said he can and has to do better himself.

I'd also mention that in the second half we saw what he's capable of, great ball over the top to Miovski that set up a potential chance.

There's no doubt we aren't playing to his strengths but that doesn't contribute to the simple errors a player of his calibre shouldn't be making. 

I think we need to go 4-3-3 sometimes. I'd be interested to see a midfield of Polvara, Clarkson and Barron on a Sunday after Europe. Technically all good players and might help with our ball retention.

• Upvote 4
5 minutes ago, CCB III said:

There's no doubt we aren't playing to his strengths but that doesn't contribute to the simple errors a player of his calibre shouldn't be making. 

I think we need to go 4-3-3 sometimes. I'd be interested to see a midfield of Polvara, Clarkson and Barron on a Sunday after Europe. Technically all good players and might help with our ball retention.

I totally agree, he was dispossessed more last night than I think he has been in any previous game, quite slow when getting the ball, that needs to change. 

I wouldn't be against that midfield especially against the worst teams in the league.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, CCB III said:

This.

38 minutes ago, Tinyweelad said:

There's been countless opportunuties this season for him to juist take a few more strides forward and pick a pass, but he seems keen to play slide rule, 40 yard passes or dinked balls over the top. These are pretty difficult to pull off. Madison plays the same sort of role for Spurs and England now and did for Leicester. He seems to cope ok with that position.

He was doing more work in midfield when Robson took over in terms of winning posession back. He's lost that right now and hence why at times, we struggle a bitty in midfield with just the 3 central players in a diamond.

He'll come good, but I believe Barron brings more qualities to the side at this moment in time. Last night, he wasn't afraid to pick ball up deep and then move into a more advanced area. Clarkson's lost that mindset.

Maddison is a far far far better player than Clarkson though! 

I don't think the role he's being asked to play suits him. It def suits Barron better. 

the triangle midfield shape is an issue for me. We don't look balanced, mainly as we don't have a proper holding mid. I think we looked more balanced with McGrath behind miovski and 4 in midfield...