Happiness

manboobs109

3 hours ago, chief_wiggum said:

I'm fairly happy, nothing coming over me, retired early (thanks Brexit :rolleyes:) I'm a kept man, two or three holidays a year.

Enjoy a drink esp at the weekends.... A curry then a bit of COD or Battlefield while getting pished followed by music is my way to relax of a weekend.

My kids and are pretty settled and seem to be doing well, so one less thing to worry about.

Need the wife to retire, get our pensions and get to fuck out of the UK possibly to Cyprus

Not to throw a spanner in the works, but I wouldn't stay there long. 

Maybe for the short term, but have a plan to gtfo. 

Head north. Canada or Scandinavia would be ideal. 

Of course, this course of action depends on whether or not you believe the planet is warming.

SFW's will likely disagree. 

spacer.png

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

For about 7 months now I have been at the gym regularly (4-5 times a week) and at 45 I am now fitter than I have ever been and will keep improving.  As well as lifting ever heavier weights, I can run over 3 miles quite comfortably.  That's 'nothing' by the standards of many fit people, but its unreal for me, by my historic standards.

Good for you.

Adding exercise and moderating excess is the key to my happiness rating. Everything flows from that imho.

• Upvote 1

Good thread 👍

Not as happy as I was when I was younger when I had less responsibilities, less pressure and a different outlook on life.

Now I'm married with kids, the responsibilities have changed and so has the pressure and my outlook along with it.

My happiness fluctuates depending on what is going on around me. One day everything is great and the next you wonder how the fuck things have gone downhill so quickly!

At times all I am looking for is a bit of piece and quiet. Love going on walks on my own, headphones in and lost in a podcast for a few hours with a cup of tea at the end. Might sound shit to some but to me it's one of MY happy things.

One thing I have come a conclusion about, a fair degree of unhappiness in my life stems from things that are not of my own doing!

Work / family / kids / wife etc.

• Upvote 1
38 minutes ago, Redforever86 said:

Ever thought about leaving them?

Thought about throwing the wife into Stonehaven harbour at times and imagine she has thought similar too!

Work I would sell out if I could but cannot see that happening any time soon. However have an exit plan for 5 years time that would allow me to do what I want to do retirement wise.

You?

2 minutes ago, For Fecks Sake said:

Thought about throwing the wife into Stonehaven harbour at times and imagine she has thought similar too!

Work I would sell out if I could but cannot see that happening any time soon. However have an exit plan for 5 years time that would allow me to do what I want to do retirement wise.

You?

Be better heavin' her aff the back o' the castle.  Bigger drap there.

15 hours ago, For Fecks Sake said:

Good thread 👍

Not as happy as I was when I was younger when I had less responsibilities, less pressure and a different outlook on life.

Now I'm married with kids, the responsibilities have changed and so has the pressure and my outlook along with it.

My happiness fluctuates depending on what is going on around me. One day everything is great and the next you wonder how the fuck things have gone downhill so quickly!

At times all I am looking for is a bit of piece and quiet. Love going on walks on my own, headphones in and lost in a podcast for a few hours with a cup of tea at the end. Might sound shit to some but to me it's one of MY happy things.

One thing I have come a conclusion about, a fair degree of unhappiness in my life stems from things that are not of my own doing!

Work / family / kids / wife etc.

This bit here is when I'm at my happiest.

Can't wait to get back to doing that again. The dog is out of practice as well.

• Upvote 1
On 8/9/2023 at 2:00 PM, Clydeside_Sheep said:

I think to feel like there is "more to come" from you in life, is part of a healthy / content mindset. 

It doesn't matter what it is, as long as there is something.

If people feel in a rut, or that "this is it for me", this can certainly erode our feelings of happiness or contentment.

A couple of years ago, I managed to get back in touch with a friend I had lost contact with.  

In the intervening period, I got married, had 3 kids, traveled, learnt a bit of German, became a Chartered Engineer, bought a house......while he has done literally nothing.

Its incredible.  He has aged and become like an old man (hes 47).  He works 5 minutes away from his house and lives his entire life within that 5 minute radius. 

In our teens and 20s, he was always up for a pint.  But now even to come into Glasgow for a pint (30 mins on train) is "too much hassle". 

All he does is go to work, or sit at home alone drinking cans of Tennents.  Anything else = "too much hassle".  So sad.  He will end up one of these West of Scotland statistics, thanks to his diet of booze, fags and spicy chicken takeaway pizzas.

I do not know what to do with him, to get him out of this rut.  Sometimes he talks a good game, of travelling or getting a car, but when it comes to the crunch its just "too much hassle".

Its strange - the emptier someones life is, the more difficult it is to get them to do something - anything!  When you think they would jump at the chance, and they certainly have the time.

You need to feel that there is still more to come from you.  My latest thing is to finally become fit. 

For about 7 months now I have been at the gym regularly (4-5 times a week) and at 45 I am now fitter than I have ever been and will keep improving.  As well as lifting ever heavier weights, I can run over 3 miles quite comfortably.  That's 'nothing' by the standards of many fit people, but its unreal for me, by my historic standards.

By next summer, I bet I am regularly mistaken for David Hasslehoff in his Baywatch prime 😜

The fitter I get, the less my previous habits of heavy drinking etc appeal, though I say that with a certain sadness!

There is lots more to come from me 👍

Die trying!

What a post that was.🙏

• Upvote 1

Its generally accepted that folk in their 30s and 40s take a dip in terms of 'happiness'

but that takes UK USA dysfunctional environment as the baseline

if you lived in Helsinki for example, your baseline would be way higher

At the end of the day, your life is just an example

and we all end up back in the same meting pot

Reflect on that

Choose Life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a fucking big television, choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol, and dental insurance. Choose fixed interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisurewear and matching luggage. Choose a three-piece suit on hire purchase in a range of fucking fabrics. Choose DIY and wondering who the fuck you are on Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing, spirit-crushing game shows, stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pissing your last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourselves. Choose your future. Choose life… But why would I want to do a thing like that? I chose not to choose life. I chose somethin’ else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you’ve got the digital heroin that is The Pub on the internet's AFC Chat dot fucking net?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
10 hours ago, RedArmyFakshun said:

Its generally accepted that folk in their 30s and 40s take a dip in terms of 'happiness'

but that takes UK USA dysfunctional environment as the baseline

if you lived in Helsinki for example, your baseline would be way higher

At the end of the day, your life is just an example

and we all end up back in the same meting pot

Reflect on that

Believe it or not, Finland’s suicide rate is double the UK’s.

On 8/9/2023 at 10:10 PM, Clydeside_Sheep said:

The secret to peace and happiness is found in trustful surrender to Divine providence.

"To remain indifferent to good fortune or to adversity by accepting it all from the hand of God without questioning, not to ask for things to be done as we would like them but as God wishes, to make the intention of all our prayers that Gods will should be perfectly accomplished in ourselves and in all creatures is to find the secret of happiness and content"

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/9780895552167/Trustful-Surrender-Divine-Providence-Secret-0895552167/plp

So many problems / troubles are as a result of angst because things are not the way we would like them to be.  Often the most frivolous things too. 

Mankind is so hell bent on attempting to arrange things the way we want, that people will even accept absurdities to try to make it so (look at the transgender nonsense for example).

But no, there is another way, which is to reconcile ourselves to the will of God.

These days I do have some degree of envy for people who can find solace in religion. I’m certain as fuck science is never going to answer these questions. Just can’t take the leap. 

That said I absolutely believe there is a cosmic order to the universe and you ignore it at your peril so I agree with that part. Religions seem to work to varying degrees on an allegorical level of nothing else. 

• Upvote 1
39 minutes ago, BrisDon said:

These days I do have some degree of envy for people who can find solace in religion. I’m certain as fuck science is never going to answer these questions. Just can’t take the leap. 

That said I absolutely believe there is a cosmic order to the universe and you ignore it at your peril so I agree with that part. Religions seem to work to varying degrees on an allegorical level of nothing else. 

Go one of those evangelist churches, they look an absolute blast. You’ll learn about god and also get to have a dance.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2
4 hours ago, Ando said:

Choose Life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a fucking big television, choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol, and dental insurance. Choose fixed interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisurewear and matching luggage. Choose a three-piece suit on hire purchase in a range of fucking fabrics. Choose DIY and wondering who the fuck you are on Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing, spirit-crushing game shows, stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pissing your last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourselves. Choose your future. Choose life… But why would I want to do a thing like that? I chose not to choose life. I chose somethin’ else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you’ve got the digital heroin that is The Pub on the internet's AFC Chat dot fucking net?

Lot of truth there, the hat has been my one constant over the years through thick and thin.

16 hours ago, Poodler said:

Looks like a lot of hatters are getting fit and ditching the RnR stuff 

Edwin, you should run a hat competition for the fastest 5k. 

winner gets a tit pic of the partner of all the other competitors

I think it's a tough one .

I think personal bests would be good.

5 minutes ago, Bad_Mobby said:

Once had a scrap on the junction of Union/bridge street with some young casual arseholes after the Bayern game (they started on me because they thought I was German - I had been using my school learned Doitch, obvz looking for this very scenario) 

Anyway, decked them then cops turned up 

I legged it down Bridge St then up Denburn Rd, some purple Vauxhall Corsa kept pulling up beside me, I kept running. Then I thought to myself “ they must be trying to help me get away” so I slowed down and stopped 

Next thing i know, a pig (cop) comes flying out the drivers side and rugby tackles me to the ground (up aside Woolmanhill @Misers Hill)

He had commandeered some cunts car on Union St just to chase me

He said “ you’re fast as fuck”  I chuckled and went to the police station willingly 

Got out about 3am and went to my mates house to carry on drinking 

Good/fast times 

You are mental did you get fined?

18 minutes ago, Bad_Mobby said:

Did I fuck 

The little arseholes started it and I finished it, whilst witnesses confirmed this to the cops 

the cunts at the voddie bar terrace must have thought Steve Cram was in toon legging it up Denburn Rd 🏃‍♂️

Steve Cram ran a 3-46 mile which still stands as a UK record and a mile world record at the time .

To be as quick as him no point the rest of us racing you Mobby.

But you were obviously a fast runner..