Next Manager

5 minutes ago, RUL said:

Not heard anything but someone shared a post about how he left Sunderland as he wanted total control of football operations.

Aye, he sounds like a McInnes type that wants 100% control over recruitment etc.

He’s not going to get that. 

Added to that, he’s not been shy about saying his preference is to stay in England.  
He might hang around & see what’s available there in the summer.

I don’t think it’ll be him. 

5 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Aye, he sounds like a McInnes type that wants 100% control over recruitment etc.

Added to that, he’s not been shy about saying his preference is to stay in England.  

There wis somebody at Pittodrie yesterday,Whether it was Neil or not I dont know,but someone said something yesterday it was him.

But surely something would have sneaked out if it was,somebody grabbing a picture or whatever,or the press.

4 minutes ago, Torry Tosser said:

There wis somebody at Pittodrie yesterday,Whether it was Neil or not I dont know,but someone said something yesterday it was him.

But surely something would have sneaked out if it was,somebody grabbing a picture or whatever,or the press.

You’d have thought so.

Very hard to keep anything quiet out of the media / social media these days, even more so when something is expected & people are waiting for it.

19 minutes ago, Ernie McCracken said:

Us fans are over Alex Neil now. Jimmy Thelin is the man. The bar has been set.

Am I the only one who thinks Thelins style could be a disaster in our current relegation battle 😅 not the time for trying to introduce a difficult style. After the summer aye it sounds exciting.

• Haha 2

Is there not a hybrid solution that can be had? Nothing wrong with having a technical director whilst simultaneously allowing the manager to have the majority say in shit like recruitment, team style etc etc

Was reading the article about Thelin the other day and that’s how he seems to work with his TD, Anderssen think his name was. - ie Thelin has the final say but the duo work very much in tandem.

Agree 100% with what’s been said above, regarding parochialism in Scottish fitba. You wonder if it exists in the media in any other country in Europe. 

4 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

Is there not a hybrid solution that can be had? Nothing wrong with having a technical director whilst simultaneously allowing the manager to have the majority say in shit like recruitment, team style etc etc

Was reading the article about Thelin the other day and that’s how he seems to work with his TD, Anderssen think his name was. - ie Thelin has the final say but the duo work very much in tandem.

Agree 100% with what’s been said above, regarding parochialism in Scottish fitba. You wonder if it exists in the media in any other country in Europe. 

As I understand it, we kinda work that way? 
Robson would’ve said, I want “x”, with these attributes.

The recruitment team produce a list of say 6.

Robson then picks the order of preference he wants them in.

Gunn then starts negotiating.

So, our manager/head coach will have final say, he just doesn’t compile the “list of 6” alternatives.

That’ll certainly be the case for the foreign players.  
There may have been more direct input over “local” signings such as Devlin/McGrath 

44 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

So, our manager/head coach will have final say, he just doesn’t compile the “list of 6” alternatives.

There may have been more direct input over “local” signings such as Devlin/McGrath 

You missed out the part where the top 5 targets turn us down, and Robson had final say on the last one on the list.

1 hour ago, Torry Tosser said:

It was Peter Ebdon.

• Haha 1
51 minutes ago, ThomohawkKid said:

Am I the only one who thinks Thelins style could be a disaster in our current relegation battle 😅 not the time for trying to introduce a difficult style. After the summer aye it sounds exciting.

If we we're actually after Thelin then why not bring him in ASAP and have him work alongside Leven until the end of the season. Leven knows the players, what they can and can't do, what formation suits them best... Thelin can watch, take notes, make suggestions, make judgement on players and then fully take charge when the season ends and then build a team to implement the style of football he likes to play.

All a moot point anyway though as we all know its not going to be Thelin but will be some crap from the Scottish football managerial merry go round.

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, zeroisgod76 said:

If we we're actually after Thelin then why not bring him in ASAP and have him work alongside Leven until the end of the season. Leven knows the players, what they can and can't do, what formation suits them best... Thelin can watch, take notes, make suggestions, make judgement on players and then fully take charge when the season ends and then build a team to implement the style of football he likes to play.

All a moot point anyway though as we all know it’s not going to be Thelin but will be some crap from the Scottish football managerial merry go round.

Sweden season starts on the 30/03/24 so if he’s not in shortly, it won’t be him

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

I don’t think Glass/Goodwin/ Robson had much or any say in recruitment. 

i can only hypothesise that they were seduced by the financial package on offer and were happy to cede responsibility when it came to recruitment. That was the responsibility of Dave and if that continues, we will be fucked, if we aren’t already 

Going by Scott burns tweet last night I think we will go down the foreign route. Do find it funny when these journalists get raging when one of there pals don’t get the job. Like they want the foreign managers to fail and give it “ they don’t understand our league” 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1
38 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

I don’t think Glass/Goodwin/ Robson had much or any say in recruitment. 

i can only hypothesise that they were seduced by the financial package on offer and were happy to cede responsibility when it came to recruitment. That was the responsibility of Dave and if that continues, we will be fucked, if we aren’t already 

Glass had total say as we didn’t have a HoR. 

Goodwin similar to Robson. 
He asked for a type of player & was presented with a list. (Other than Stewart & Scales that were 100% Goodwin). 

12 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Glass had total say as we didn’t have a HoR. 

Goodwin similar to Robson. 
He asked for a type of player & was presented with a list. (Other than Stewart & Scales that were 100% Goodwin). 

Jet. Brown. Longstaff. Gallagher. Bates. Samuels. Watkins. Ramirez (I’ll give you that one, given he’s a Yank) many many more that I’ve forgotten about.

I doubt Glass knew anything about the above, other than his over the hill mate Brown.

8 minutes ago, Durrant Dived said:

What a depressing list that is.

Wild really, because on the face of it Brown, Gallagher and Bates should have been fairly solid. Ramirez and Watkins the only players that actually get pass marks out of that entire list.

• Dildo 1
2 hours ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

I live close to Joe Savage (Hearts Sporting Director) who knows Alex Neil well from their time working together at Preston and Norwich.

I was speaking to him when Warnock was announced and asked if Neil was in the frame/would be interested. He said he's been on 6 figure salaries down south and doubted we could even afford him....even if he was interested, which he probably isn't. 

3 minutes ago, macman said:

I live close to Joe Savage (Hearts Sporting Director) who knows Alex Neil well from their time working together at Preston and Norwich.

I was speaking to him when Warnock was announced and asked if Neil was in the frame/would be interested. He said he's been on 6 figure salaries down south and doubted we could even afford him....even if he was interested, which he probably isn't. 

£2k a week = 6 figure annual salary. We can afford that.

13 minutes ago, macman said:

Presumably you mean 7 figure salaries.

40 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

Jet. Brown. Longstaff. Gallagher. Bates. Samuels. Watkins. Ramirez (I’ll give you that one, given he’s a Yank) many many more that I’ve forgotten about.

I doubt Glass knew anything about the above, other than his over the hill mate Brown.

Ramirez, Gallagher and Gurr were 100% his signings. Probably Polvara as well.

1 minute ago, minijc said:

The same Gallagher who had agreed to join the club before McInnes had left, aye?

Glass had agreed to become Aberdeen manager a year before McInnes left.

I thought you were pretending to be in the know about things?