Next Manager

1 minute ago, Elfsborg Local said:

Good Morning All!

Firstly, I am going to start off by saying I am a Dundee fan (i'm coming to the game at Pittodrie in April), based in Borås, Sweden and have been a season ticket holder at Elfsborg since 2016.  So I have seen first hand the job that JT has done during his team here in Borås.

As an avid follower of the SPFL from afar, I was keen to follow the story that JT may join Aberdeen and thought that the Aberdeen fans may like to hear some information from a 'local' point of view.

As most of you know, Elfsborg lost the title on the last game of the season to Malmö.  The common opinion was that Elfsborg deserved to win the league overall but they gave themselves a tough task leaving it to the final game away to Malmö and ultimately suffered in the end. 

The team play counter-attacking football and are very exciting in the wider areas.  The league in Sweden, in general, is extremely slow in comparison to the SPFL.  Most teams will look to play out from the back and I really mean that 9/10 times they start with goalkeepers passing out to one of the CB's in their own 6 yard box (similar to a lot of EPL teams).  Elfsborg or no different in this aspect.   

Since JT has been in charge at Elfsborg, the team have certainly developed and brought through many young players who have gone on to pretty big things across Europe.  Karlsson at Bologna, Olsson at Heerenveen, Lagerbielke at Celtic and Hákon Valdimarsson at Brentford to name just a few.  JT is certainly a manager who is not afraid to play the younger players.  Elfsborg are a selling club and it is testament to JT and his staff that they have been relatively consistent in building teams that are competitive in the Allsvenskan on a regular basis.

JT himself comes across well, is pretty reserved in terms of his profile and you certainly don't see or read to much about him here in the press here in Borås.  That being said, he does have a steely nature to him and seems to take no s**t when it comes to dealing with the press and players.  If he were to get the job, I get the feeling he may be likened to Clement in his approach to media duties.

To wrap it up, I have to be honest and say that I would be surprised if JT were to get the job.  Not only because Elfsborg are guaranteed European football pretty much all next season but also due to the style of play in which I imagine JT would want to play and how, I believe, it may not exactly suit teams in the SPFL/Aberdeen.  The work he has done at Elfsborg is largely due to him being given the time to develop a structure at the club and a consistent playing style that enables players to slot into the team relatively easily when joining the club.  I am not sure if he will be given such time and patience at Aberdeen if the last few seasons are anything to go by.

Anyway, I hope this interests anyone that may read this and feel free to reach out if you want to know anything else regarding my thoughts on JT, Elsborg or Swedish football.

Great post. I guess there are no rumours in Sweden about it?

2 minutes ago, Elfsborg Local said:

Good Morning All!

Firstly, I am going to start off by saying I am a Dundee fan (i'm coming to the game at Pittodrie in April), based in Borås, Sweden and have been a season ticket holder at Elfsborg since 2016.  So I have seen first hand the job that JT has done during his team here in Borås.

As an avid follower of the SPFL from afar, I was keen to follow the story that JT may join Aberdeen and thought that the Aberdeen fans may like to hear some information from a 'local' point of view.

As most of you know, Elfsborg lost the title on the last game of the season to Malmö.  The common opinion was that Elfsborg deserved to win the league overall but they gave themselves a tough task leaving it to the final game away to Malmö and ultimately suffered in the end. 

The team play counter-attacking football and are very exciting in the wider areas.  The league in Sweden, in general, is extremely slow in comparison to the SPFL.  Most teams will look to play out from the back and I really mean that 9/10 times they start with goalkeepers passing out to one of the CB's in their own 6 yard box (similar to a lot of EPL teams).  Elfsborg or no different in this aspect.   

Since JT has been in charge at Elfsborg, the team have certainly developed and brought through many young players who have gone on to pretty big things across Europe.  Karlsson at Bologna, Olsson at Heerenveen, Lagerbielke at Celtic and Hákon Valdimarsson at Brentford to name just a few.  JT is certainly a manager who is not afraid to play the younger players.  Elfsborg are a selling club and it is testament to JT and his staff that they have been relatively consistent in building teams that are competitive in the Allsvenskan on a regular basis.

JT himself comes across well, is pretty reserved in terms of his profile and you certainly don't see or read to much about him here in the press here in Borås.  That being said, he does have a steely nature to him and seems to take no s**t when it comes to dealing with the press and players.  If he were to get the job, I get the feeling he may be likened to Clement in his approach to media duties.

To wrap it up, I have to be honest and say that I would be surprised if JT were to get the job.  Not only because Elfsborg are guaranteed European football pretty much all next season but also due to the style of play in which I imagine JT would want to play and how, I believe, it may not exactly suit teams in the SPFL/Aberdeen.  The work he has done at Elfsborg is largely due to him being given the time to develop a structure at the club and a consistent playing style that enables players to slot into the team relatively easily when joining the club.  I am not sure if he will be given such time and patience at Aberdeen if the last few seasons are anything to go by.

Anyway, I hope this interests anyone that may read this and feel free to reach out if you want to know anything else regarding my thoughts on JT, Elsborg or Swedish football.

Thanks for that. Very interesting. 

Why does the fact we take longer over the next managerial appointment mean we are going to appoint a better manager ? As far as we know it will be the same people (mainly DC) who will make the choice. Ok we have hardly rushed in after getting rid of Robson but if this board have chosen the last 3 managers badly why will the fourth be any better ?

6 minutes ago, Elfsborg Local said:

Good Morning All!

Cheers min .

Never mind Thelin…..you fancy being the new AFC Technical Director ?

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, davierobb said:

Why does the fact we take longer over the next managerial appointment mean we are going to appoint a better manager ? As far as we know it will be the same people (mainly DC) who will make the choice. Ok we have hardly rushed in after getting rid of Robson but if this board have chosen the last 3 managers badly why will the fourth be any better ?

Even a broken clock gets the time right twice a day so I'm hopeful the board will fluke a decent appointment after 3 balls ups just like when we got DM after few bad picks

5 minutes ago, davierobb said:

Take away our hope why don’t you.

26 minutes ago, stuartyboy said:

Hearing it’s back to O’Neill

Doubt it. Was very clear last week that he's under a long term contract with NI, and I'm not so sure we'd be willing to pay that out and then match or better those wages. 

16 minutes ago, Elfsborg Local said:

Good Morning All!

Surprisingly good English - better than most on here who slobber over their keyboards typing vitriol. 

🤔

• Haha 1

Neil, O'Neil and Thelin could all just be a smoke screen to be honest. I especially think if it was Neil it would be announced by now. 

O'Neil is a bit different as he has friendly's to play first, but if this drags on longer it kinda hints towards him. At the same time also the perfect distraction for the press as we can carry out this covert operation with them still speculating around him.

Thelin just doesn't make sense really, highlighted by the good man @Elfsborg Local above. 

Could be anybody in my mind

32 minutes ago, Elfsborg Local said:

Good Morning All!

Very interesting post.

4 minutes ago, RUL said:

The sun now reporting thelin isn’t a contender.

Doubt he ever was. 

His stock is high and he'll have sights on bigger jobs. 

Also, he's probably better off where he is next season even if he doesn't get a move immediately as he'll have group stage European football and a good platform to attract other suitors.   The risk - reward in coming here is all wrong for him. 

Just now, aberdeen1970 said:

Doubt he ever was. 

His stock is high and he'll have sights on bigger jobs. 

Also, he's probably better off where he is next season even if he doesn't get a move immediately as he'll have group stage European football and a good platform to attract other suitors. 

It's The Sun. Calm the fuck down. I don't even trust the date printed on the front cover of that rag to be right.  

1 minute ago, DeltaRay1903 said:

It's The Sun. Calm the fuck down. I don't even trust the date printed on the front cover of that rag to be right.  

Well they were the source for him even being linked 😂

5 minutes ago, DeltaRay1903 said:

The media speak shite all the time. 

Point still stands though, why would he want to come here? 

He's just this year's version of Knutsen 

• Upvote 2
12 minutes ago, RUL said:

The sun now reporting thelin isn’t a contender.

Bit of a nothing piece, “hopes fading” to “off the shortlist” within a couple of sentences. Not sure the sun have any “sources in Sweden” either. Might not be him but just seems a bollocks article to get some clicks.