Next Manager

1 minute ago, AyrshireSheep said:

I just don't get the O'Neill appointment at all. 

He doesn't fit with the supposed "philosophy" and he doesn't have experience of the markets we are trying to recruit players from. 

Seems another appointment absolutely destined to fail and another one to cost us a fucking fortune. 

This board obviously need to learn the definition of insanity. 

See I think the idea of having a manager that plays attacking football is daft, especially when you then proceed to hire managers with a history of playing negative, defensive football and expecting them to change their ways.

Truth is, those at the club are absolutely clueless on what it takes to get the structure implemented properly, they aren't willing to do what it takes to then get a data driven manager in place who knows exactly how he wants to play either.

1 minute ago, AyrshireSheep said:

I just don't get the O'Neill appointment at all. 

He doesn't fit with the supposed "philosophy" and he doesn't have experience of the markets we are trying to recruit players from. 

Seems another appointment absolutely destined to fail and another one to cost us a fucking fortune. 

This board obviously need to learn the definition of insanity. 

If it’s him, and we aren’t all throwing hissy fits over the phrase “72 hours” meaning it’s definitely O’Neill, it shows once and for all just how much bollocks that whole strategy and philosophy is. Complete word soup, I’m surprised they haven’t deleted it from the website yet. 

A very expensive manager who’s achieved less than fuck all in management, isn’t on any kind of upward or even horizontal trajectory. Let the good times roll. 

Of course, it’s all a big if. Maybe Dave will read the forums & social media and go for one of the foreigners on the list. 

2 hours ago, Willo flood said:

Exactly, we’ve been in an ‘advanced stage’ for longer than most clubs appoint a manger from the day their old one leaves. 

Well they got shafted by Warnock. He was a very expensive (£500k) safe pair of hands to give the club time to finish the review and then attract the best manager without the pressure of time. Warnock fucked it up, demoralised the troops by telling them he had never had such bad defenders or conceded such stupid goals, changed a passing team trained to work on transition to one that got involved in battles all over the pitch and made us look like Hamilton Accies on a bad day. Then he downed tools and left us in the lurch. Who could have predicted that? Well apart from the 50 nutters on here with a crystal ball that tells them every decision we make will be shite and every manager we pick will be shite and Cormack is shite and we are doomed as a football club.

This is of course, all assuming it is actually O'Neill. Many of us seem to have read the whole "I would consider the offer should it come" thing and replaced it subconsciously with "They've offered me the job and I am definitely the new Aberdeen manager". There is literally no evidence we have actually offered him the job.

The update today said 1 UK based manager and 2 foreigners - and logically considering his name has been hanging around like a bad smell it would make sense for him to be the UK based one, as much as that fact probably irritates the fuck out of half his homeland (indeed the half he is more likely to be part of). 

We don't know if he's the preferred candidate. We don't know who the other two are. We don't even know if he is even one of the three other than the above deduction.

Thank god the weather is getting warmer as plenty of bedsheets are going to be needing cleaned.

• Upvote 3
5 minutes ago, Donstar83 said:

Can't argue with his experience though which we have desperately missed. 

Here’s an argument - he’s experienced at being shite. Absolutely not what we’ve desperately missed.

Club & role from / until Games / PPG
Northern Ireland N. Ireland
Manager
22/23 (Dec 7, 2022) / 
expected Jul 31, 2027
11 / 0.91
Stoke City Stoke City
Manager
19/20 (Nov 20, 2019) / 
22/23 (Aug 25, 2022)
142 / 1.39
Northern Ireland N. Ireland
Manager
11/12 (Dec 28, 2011) / 
19/20 (Apr 22, 2020)
72 / 1.33
Shamrock Rovers Shamrock Rovers
Manager
08/09 (Dec 15, 2008) / 
11/12 (Dec 27, 2011)
147 / 1.85
Brechin City FC Brechin City
Manager
04/05 (Apr 4, 2006) / 
08/09 (Dec 14, 2008)
7 / 1.14
4 minutes ago, RedRevolution said:

I had to laugh at that.  Only because it's a perfect metaphor for the nutters on here who aren't happy with anything or anyone. I opened a thread yesterday that took me back to September where some were talking about the disaster that awaits us in Europe and how Robson was already on borrowed time. What chance has any new manager got of keeping a lid on the negativity of the flock on here. 

😂😂

Don't be daft. Robson didn't fail miserably because people on here knew he would or thought he would and then said he would. He failed because he was fucking useless. 

Also, where is the metaphor?

• Upvote 2
2 minutes ago, minijc said:

See I think the idea of having a manager that plays attacking football is daft, especially when you then proceed to hire managers with a history of playing negative, defensive football and expecting them to change their ways.

Truth is, those at the club are absolutely clueless on what it takes to get the structure implemented properly, they aren't willing to do what it takes to then get a data driven manager in place who knows exactly how he wants to play either.

After reading the interview he done that's in the papers today it wouldn't surprise me if he came in and done the 2 roles of manager and Tech Director. 

They need to just bin off the philosophy and "strateegee" since it's all just bollocks anyway. 

And I'd they've waited for O'Neill to take charge of 2 absolutely pointless friendlies before taking charge at AFC then I'd have binned the big nosed alky off at that point. Doesn't exactly show much commitment. Especially when neither friendly was played at home so he can't even say they were a "goodbye". 

I bet this back 3/5 is a Cormack thing and that's why he's recruiting managers based on that. 

I just can't see this consultancy mob recommending O'Neill as the best man for the job. 

4 minutes ago, minijc said:

Aye it’s winding me up as well. 

we will play to the style that suits the team. If you are Northern Ireland manager and you’ve got Josh magennis and whatever other pish in your squad you probably aren’t playing like Barcelona.

much like Aberdeen were good to watch with McLean, Hayes, McGinn but then painful to watch with…. Well basically everyone since. 

Lets appoint a manager then maybe try signing some half decent players who don’t mind actually trying 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, RedRevolution said:

Well they got shafted by Warnock. He was a very expensive (£500k) safe pair of hands to give the club time to finish the review and then attract the best manager without the pressure of time. Warnock fucked it up, demoralised the troops by telling them he had never had such bad defenders or conceded such stupid goals, changed a passing team trained to work on transition to one that got involved in battles all over the pitch and made us look like Hamilton Accies on a bad day. Then he downed tools and left us in the lurch. Who could have predicted that? Well apart from the 50 nutters on here with a crystal ball that tells them every decision we make will be shite and every manager we pick will be shite and Cormack is shite and we are doomed as a football club.

500K..Nonsense. 

34 minutes ago, starryfish said:

The reality is that the boy that picks the team is already in situ, no wonder we can’t get anyone in to assume the position of manager 

everyone time folk say this, and yes I know there is plenty substance to it, I cringe remembering all the interviews from his basement in covid consistently getting all the player names wrong 🤦🏻‍♂️

14 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Don’t think so either. He’d cost an absolute fortune. 

Thing is, it's very clear that once Dave gets an idea in his head it's that or nothing.  We're now at the stage where we are quite clearly desperate as well so I wouldn't put it past him forking out the compo and a bumper wage too.

Trying to appoint a decent manager when there is absolutely no guarantee you'll be in the SPL next season is simply not possible. I don't blame any managers for delaying a decision or simply not willing to discuss. 

The club are probably finding this out now, hence the repeated backtracking. They've brought this all on themselves and have proved they're completely incapable of managing the situation (or a professional football club).

• Upvote 4

Regardless of who it is we need to get behind the team.  Folk can't be chasing another manager daily from the off like the previous ones.  It's a pretty toxic situation. 

Do we support Aberdeen or is it contingent on who the manager is? 

Been plenty of shite managers in my time but it's never been as big a thing as it seems to be these days, it's all about the cult of the manager since we narrowed pitches to give them rectangles to stand in so the cameras could focus on them on the tv. Most managers are fucking chancers anyway. 

• Upvote 1
44 minutes ago, RedRevolution said:

Passing team? When was this exactly?

Can anyone post up this interview that O’Neil did in todays paper, plz?

51 minutes ago, minijc said:

Yes, if it is him of course, got to give the club a lot of credit given some of the players felt it would be him 2 weeks ago, a lot of wasted time and a massive compo package getting paid, shrewd as ever.

So you’re also coming towards the conclusion that’s it’s going to be O’Neil ?  

Just now, Adogcalledspot said:

So you’re also coming towards the conclusion that’s it’s going to be O’Neil ?  

I'm hopeful that it isn't him, I don't think he'd be terrible but it would be a underwhelming, lazy appointment imo.

• Upvote 1