Next Manager

32 minutes ago, JamieMT said:

100%. There's some serious delusion in certain quarters as to what constitutes a big name manager. No matter what people might think of them, Alex Neil and Michael O'Neill are stretching the upper limits of managers we could appoint.

Agreed, we'd all like some huge name but lets be frank thats not going to happen, even Celtic struggle to attract them nowadays. For me O'Neill would be a decent enough appointment and ticks numerous boxes; Experienced , has worked in both english and scottish clubs and international,  has promotions and titles on his record.  I think he could also help get some players as they will know a little bit about him.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Willo flood said:

Let’s be honest, if Micheal O’Neil had a similar CV, just in another part of the world and his name was perhaps Mikel Onelle then I guarantee 50% of the people dead against him would suddenly be twerking for him outside Pittodrie just because he’s a ‘foreign name’.

Correct

99% of Dons fans had never heard of The Elfsborg manager up until last week. Yet he appeared to be the messiah.

• Upvote 5
4 minutes ago, RedRevolution said:

If you keep betting on red at roulette you will be right eventually. They were completely wrong about Europe. Like many I was worried we could take a sore loss to Paok or Frankfurt. Even to the Swedes and Finns. But I enjoyed the European adventure and the boys did ok. He made signings with Europe in mind and assumed the league would take care of itself. The Scottish premiership is a square go all over the park with the ref oblivious to the concept of foul play applying for aggressive conduct unless it's against Celtic or Rangers. Our defence couldn't handle the high balls and the physicality. The problem grew from there. When we played we played some good stuff. The team needs another couple of windows. It certainly doesn't need to be ripped apart and start again as per Goodwin's approach.

That's just nonsense, from beginning to end. But the roulette analogy to excuse away your original post nonsense is just bizarre. 

8 minutes ago, RedRevolution said:

If you keep betting on red at roulette you will be right eventually. They were completely wrong about Europe. Like many I was worried we could take a sore loss to Paok or Frankfurt. Even to the Swedes and Finns. But I enjoyed the European adventure and the boys did ok. He made signings with Europe in mind and assumed the league would take care of itself. The Scottish premiership is a square go all over the park with the ref oblivious to the concept of foul play applying for aggressive conduct unless it's against Celtic or Rangers. Our defence couldn't handle the high balls and the physicality. The problem grew from there. When we played we played some good stuff. The team needs another couple of windows. It certainly doesn't need to be ripped apart and start again as per Goodwin's approach.

Hahaha another member of the Robson clan.

1 minute ago, Willo flood said:

It’s not

It is, I'm almost certain that if a foreign manager with a similar record was in the running a lot of folk would say it's too risky, that they'd prefer if we stuck with someone who knows the Scottish game.

With O'Neill his best job finished almost 13 years ago, international football is largely a load of crap, so many meaningless games so I find it hard to put too much stock in any achievements there.

Just now, Willo flood said:

I’m pretty sure a very large section of our support don’t care about that. As was shown by the reaction to Richardson Gordson’s comments the other day

Depends though, I've seen plenty saying we shouldn't be going for a foreigner.

If we breakdown O'Neills record it really isn't good, certainly not good enough to justify the compensation and wages that would be needed.  

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, minijc said:

Depends though, I've seen plenty saying we shouldn't be going for a foreigner.

From what i’ve saw, the majority think we should though, however your experience might be different

3 minutes ago, minijc said:

not good enough to justify the compensation and wages that would be needed.  

That I agree with. Unless there is some hidden clause that we don’t know about surely the money could be spent better elsewhere. Or is he genuinely the only one who’s even vaguely interested for whatever reason, that isn’t Neil Lennon. 

7 minutes ago, minijc said:

It is, I'm almost certain that if a foreign manager with a similar record was in the running a lot of folk would say it's too risky, that they'd prefer if we stuck with someone who knows the Scottish game.

With O'Neill his best job finished almost 13 years ago, international football is largely a load of crap, so many meaningless games so I find it hard to put too much stock in any achievements there.

A foreign manager with Michael O'Neill's CV would most definitely be better received than O'Neill himself. People like new & shiny, it's human nature.

Pretty much every domestic candidate/suggestion has met with at best equal approval/disdain. Those we've seen embraced have been foreign. Guys, who with the best will in the world, almost no-one on here knows anything about other than what they've read on Wikipedia.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, JamieMT said:

A foreign manager with Michael O'Neill's CV would most definitely be better received than O'Neill himself. People like new & shiny, it's human nature.

Pretty much every domestic candidate/suggestion has met with at best equal approval/disdain. Those we've seen embraced have been foreign. Guys, who with the best will in the world, almost no-one on here knows anything about other than what they've read on Wikipedia.

See I don't think so, I think some would see it as a bigger risk.

Look at Uwe Rosler for example, his CV pisses all over O'Neill's and he'd most likely be a better suit to what we are TRYING to do, or at least what Cormack says we are trying to do.

We need someone with a track record of building something, O'Neill is not the guy to do that given his track record.

Whether you like the sound of Michael O'Neill or not, people completely disregarding international football and acting as if there aren't transferable skills managing in that sphere and managing in club football is a bit strange. 

I'd probably be underwhelmed by his appointment but he's shown evidence of being a decent tactician and man manager at NI, getting the best out of a fairly limited group of players in the process. I'm going to guess those traits would do us a turn. 

It's the longevity of it I'm not convinced by. I don't know that it makes sense with what we purport to be trying to install at the club.

Just now, minijc said:

See I don't think so, I think some would see it as a bigger risk.

Look at Uwe Rosler for example, his CV pisses all over O'Neill's and he'd most likely be a better suit to what we are TRYING to do, or at least what Cormack says we are trying to do.

We need someone with a track record of building something, O'Neill is not the guy to do that given his track record.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not advocating for O'Neill. I don't want him as Dons boss, most definitely agree he's not the man to take us forward. Just feel he gets a tougher time as a known entity than he would if he were little more than a Wiki page.

46 minutes ago, Willo flood said:

Let’s be honest, if Micheal O’Neil had a similar CV, just in another part of the world and his name was perhaps Mikel Onelle then I guarantee 50% of the people dead against him would suddenly be twerking for him outside Pittodrie just because he’s a ‘foreign name’.

nonsense. 

3 minutes ago, minijc said:

Be that as it may. Is there any chance he’s going to leave his current club to join us? I don’t know, but I hope so

O'Neil is probably the best we could have hoped for. I'll actually be surprised if he comes to Pittodrie tbh.

The club is an utter shambles and it's massive job. Any manager coming in will effectively have one hand tied behind their back when dealing with the muppets we have in control.

• Dildo 1
22 minutes ago, Willo flood said:

I’m pretty sure a very large section of our support don’t care about that. As was shown by the reaction to Richardson Gordson’s comments the other day

they dont care about that and rightly so. But the do care about having someone with better credentials than O'neil. id admit that O'neil would be a better appointment than the previous 3 but the bar is incredibly low. 

1 minute ago, brownie said:

O'Neil is probably the best we could have hoped for. I'll actually be surprised if he comes to Pittodrie tbh.

The club is an utter shambles and it's massive job. Any manager coming in will effectively have one hand tied behind their back when dealing with the muppets we have in control.

I'd love to know how he'd be the best we could hope for?

3 minutes ago, brownie said:

you have really low expectations. 

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, JamieMT said:

Don't get me wrong, i'm not advocating for O'Neill. I don't want him as Dons boss, most definitely agree he's not the man to take us forward. Just feel he gets a tougher time as a known entity than he would if he were little more than a Wiki page.

Folk are desperate and many seem to be keen on a foreigner at almost any cost this time around.  A bit like the groundswell for that guy Rodriguez last year who didn't seem to have much about him when you looked under the hood. 

Certainly not the same level of scrutiny being applied as there seems to be for folk based within these shores that are kent faces. 

Personally I couldn't care less where they are from as long as the correct due diligence is done.  Still doesn't guarantee success mind you, 90% of managers are hit and miss from one job to another as their records tend to show. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
1 minute ago, slippers said:

better credentials than O'nei

Is that realistic though? While you’d like to think so, and it certainty was 2/3 years ago.

We need to actually look at where we are as a club. 9th in League, no guarantee that we will still be in the top flight next season, certainly no European football, obvious concerns about the amount of managers we go through, it’s not as if we have bigger budgets then most clubs we would be nicking managers off and to top it off it’s not as if Aberdeen is a particularly attractive place to work in is it?

3 minutes ago, brownie said:

Because our football operation is a shambles.

Nobody on a real upward trajectory is coming here to work under Gunn and Cormack.

Stokes football operation was a shambles, he didn't do that well there, did he?  The best we can get, jesus christ, if that's the case time to close the door and save us all a lot of hassle.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1