Next Manager

5 minutes ago, Willo flood said:

Is that realistic though? While you’d like to think so, and it certainty was 2/3 years ago.

We need to actually look at where we are as a club. 9th in League, no guarantee that we will still be in the top flight next season, certainly no European football, obvious concerns about the amount of managers we go through, it’s not as if we have bigger budgets then most clubs we would be nicking managers off and to top it off it’s not as if Aberdeen is a particularly attractive place to work in is it?

You're over thinking this. No1 is expecting a big name. Just hoping for a bit of imagination and someone that looks capable. That may be British or foreign but I can tell you right now it's important we are getting a manager on an upward trajectory. Someone we can see why the club have went for him after all this effort. Look at the last proper appointment. An absolute disgrace taking Goodwin who was almost sacked 6 weeks before we took him. 

Given the state of the club and the failure to properly implement the structure now is probably the best time for a reset rather than sticking with the tried and tested which would come with someone like O'Neill.

That is why we need someone who is proven at implementing their style of play whilst bringing through and playing youth players.

11 minutes ago, minijc said:

Stokes football operation was a shambles, he didn't do that well there, did he?  The best we can get, jesus christ, if that's the case time to close the door and save us all a lot of hassle.

JC is busy until after Easter. Rolling stones apparently.

1 minute ago, slippers said:

You're over thinking this. No1 is expecting a big name. Just hoping for a bit of imagination and someone that looks capable. That may be British or foreign but I can tell you right now it's important we are getting a manager on an upward trajectory. Someone we can see why the club have went for him after all this effort. Look at the last proper appointment. An absolute disgrace taking Goodwin who was almost sacked 6 weeks before we took him. 

Aye but you are expecting someone on an upward trajectory to come to a relatively small club in European financial terms that's been generally on a downward trajectory in recent times to the point that we are flirting right on the edge of a relegation battle depending on what happens this weekend. 

The only folk that fit that bill and would see us as an attractive option at the moment to further their career are managing smaller clubs, in a smaller league or in a lower league. 

6 minutes ago, slippers said:

but I can tell you right now it's important we are getting a manager on an upward trajectory.

But again, is that realistic? Most managers on an upward trajectory, at a decent level, getting an offer from a team sitting 9th in the Scottish Premiership will probably just bide their time at their current club until another offer inevitably comes along.

As I said, it was the perfect opportunity to get someone like you have mentioned above after we sacked McInnes, but it’s just not going to happen this time round in my opinion. I do hope i’m wrong though 

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Aye but you are expecting someone on an upward trajectory to come to a relatively small club in European financial terms that's been generally on a downward trajectory in recent times to the point that we are flirting right on the edge of a relegation battle depending on what happens this weekend. 

The only folk that fit that bill and would see us as an attractive option at the moment to further their career are managing smaller clubs, in a smaller league or in a lower league. 

Beat me to it.

Imo, the only type of manager who’s on an upwards trajectory who would consider us right now is someone like that McCabe boy. But that’s not what we need right now during such a period of instability.

2 minutes ago, Willo flood said:

Beat me to it.

The only type of manager who’s on an upwards trajectory who would consider us right now is someone like that McCabe boy. But that’s not what we need right now during such a period of instability.

And if he doesn't immediately finish at least 3rd next season on the 4th (maybe 5th) highest budget and at least threaten to win a cup the same folk will want him sacked. 

See previous managers on an ‘upward trajectory’:

Derek Adams, Jack Ross, Ian McCall, Steve Paterson etc.

We have 3 options: (1) take a punt on someone who looks promising but who hasn’t managed at this level; (2) someone who has managed at a higher level but has been shite in their last couple of jobs or (3) a boring middling appointment of someone who’s basically found their level. 

Maybe option (4) is throw a fuck ton of cash at a foreign experiment. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

Managing Shamrock Rovers in the ROI is kind of the equivalent of managing Celtic here. Winning things with them is expected. 

His record everywhere else is fairly poor ( given their relative size his first spell at NI wasn't bad all things considered).

But he's now on a long term contract with them and it's supposedly a very lucrative one. 

For me, O'Neill would just be too expensive both to compensate the IFA for his release and then to cover the contract he'd want from us.

His first league win for them was their first in 16 years……

Agree on the compo, would imagine it’d be a hefty amount and don’t think we should be paying it

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, RedRevolution said:

If you keep betting on red at roulette you will be right eventually. They were completely wrong about Europe. Like many I was worried we could take a sore loss to Paok or Frankfurt. Even to the Swedes and Finns. But I enjoyed the European adventure and the boys did ok. He made signings with Europe in mind and assumed the league would take care of itself. The Scottish premiership is a square go all over the park with the ref oblivious to the concept of foul play applying for aggressive conduct unless it's against Celtic or Rangers. Our defence couldn't handle the high balls and the physicality. The problem grew from there. When we played we played some good stuff. The team needs another couple of windows. It certainly doesn't need to be ripped apart and start again as per Goodwin's approach.

We won one game in 8, a dead rubber 😂

Can’t believe we didn’t have an open top bus parade 

1 minute ago, DoonTheLine said:

The club have made such a monumental mess of the whole thing that at this point we could get Pep as Manager with Klopp as DOF and i'd still think we'd struggle to get top 6.

8 points behind with 9 to play for. Aye you're probably right like.... 🤣 

• Haha 2