Next Manager

We are approaching the most crucial match of our season so far and it is radio silence from the Pittodrie hierarchy. 

That is fine if an appointment is imminent. 

However, if there is no impending appointment, then the clowns need to make a statement of clarity so that the interim manager and players can approach Saturday's match with the 100% attention it deserves. 

Cormack and Co may be fooling us and have an oven ready master plan ready to implement but, somehow, I very much doubt it.

1 minute ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

It’s not even remotely embarrassing. O’Neil would stand head and shoulders above every manager we’ve appointed since Skovdahl in terms of stature. 

talking about before they came here before a simpleton rages about the fact ebbe was largely a dreadful manager for us 

Oh come away. He hasn't got a great record as a club manager. I wouldn't call his appointment if it does happen (I still don't think he's the man. He's not the name I was told) embarrassing but I'd definitely call it disappointing and underwhelming. 

1 minute ago, DeltaRay1903 said:

Oh come away. He hasn't got a great record as a club manager. I wouldn't call his appointment if it does happen (I still don't think he's the man. He's not the name I was told) embarrassing but I'd definitely call it disappointing and underwhelming. 

So which Aberdeen manager since skovdahls had a better reputation than oneil?

• Upvote 1

Of course if you're looking to appoint someone who is already in job at another club then the international break is probably an ideal time to make your move.

However if you're looking to appoint someone who is already in a job at an international team, then the international break is probably the worst time to make your move.

AFC eh...

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

So which Aberdeen manager since skovdahls had a better reputation than oneil?

Most of them I'd imagine. As a club manager and that's all I'm interested in as international management is a totally different beast he has next to no "reputation". 

• Downvote 1
9 hours ago, DelMonte said:

The fact we are also getting a manager before Techincal Director is fucking mental. What the fuck are the cunts at the club even thinking?

Not as mental as the fact a club our size feel they need to waste money on a technical director and director of football.

• Upvote 1
26 minutes ago, RUL said:

Yeah I don’t know how anyone can say O’Neill is a smokescreen with the limited info we have. IMO when warnock left the board thought it would be O’Neill and it’s been more complex than they thought. 

The way it looks now is it’s either O’Neill confirmed tonight or tomorrow or a statement confirming leven is taking team until further notice. 

Yeah we definitely sounded him out a few weeks back, guessing he appeared keen then wasn't that keen when the push came to the shove.

We've then went away, tried and failed to get another manager so now that we are in a very desperate position we'll be offering him a substantial wage which will have got him interested again.

There's absolutely no way a German consultancy comes in and leaves you with him as a recommendation, none whatsoever, this is classic Cormack where he gets an idea in his head so it's that or nothing, regardless of what people around him say. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
35 minutes ago, pittodriepie83 said:

It does seem like there’s been contact made but if we’ve held off on sorting a deal so a manager like O’Neil can take charge of two friendlies then we’re a bigger embarrassment than first thought.

There could also a case of respect for Romania and Scotland here.  They've arranged and prepared to play O'Neill's NI.  Switching the fighter before the fight means their agreements, preparation, and what they were hoping to get from the matches are out the window to a certain extent.  If it is MoN we're after, I think taking the friendlies shows he and NI are operating in good faith and being respectful of all parties.

We may also have already had a tacit agreement that we would talk after the international break because we still expected to have Warnock in place, but his leaving made our need more imminent, which is no fault of MoN or NI.

• Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, NEM said:

Not as mental as the fact a club our size feel they need to waste money on a technical director and director of football.

A club our size? We are easily big enough to have that position and it’s downright embarrassing we don’t. 

2 minutes ago, RabidGiraffe said:

There could also a case of respect for Romania and Scotland here.  They've arranged and prepared to play O'Neill's NI.  Switching the fighter before the fight means their agreements, preparation, and what they were hoping to get from the matches are out the window to a certain extent.  If it is MoN we're after, I think taking the friendlies shows he and NI are operating in good faith and being respectful of all parties.

We may also have already had a tacit agreement that we would talk after the international break because we still expected to have Warnock in place, but his leaving made our need more imminent, which is no fault of MoN or NI.

Best to just play along with the mock outrage. 

Time will tell who is going to be the next manager.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Dildo 2
14 minutes ago, DeltaRay1903 said:

Most of them I'd imagine. As a club manager and that's all I'm interested in as international management is a totally different beast he has next to no "reputation". 

You’re still managing a team of players. Even better, you can only make do with the ones you have. So I’m sorry, no, you can’t discredit his international career at all. That’s ridiculous. Very stupid. 

there’s a reason he went from Northern Ireland to stoke for a big pay rise. Because it counts and gave him a good reputation.

you genuinely think club teams took more notice of mcinnes winning the championship with st johnstone or Jim goodwin getting st mirren 7th than they did of O’Neil getting Northern Ireland to the knock out stages of the euros?

To quote Andrew Considine…. “Goodness me”

• Upvote 2
5 minutes ago, RabidGiraffe said:

Would be amazed if the opponents were even given a second thought. I understand the point folk are making about respect/good faith but if that’s the reason we’ve hung off on getting him in to assess the squad, implement ideas etc then it’s extremely poor.

Could be a case of what minijc says that he’s wanted to wait until after the internationals, then we’ve thought we’d get someone else so we’ve run around in the mean time being rejected left right and centre. And now ended up back with him.

3 minutes ago, DelMonte said:

A club our size? We are easily big enough to have that position and it’s downright embarrassing we don’t. 

Why would we need a technical director and director of football? They have them in Europe because they have huge set ups which are typically :

first team 

b teams (u23s)

u21s 

u19s 

u18s down 

we have first team and u18s. The u18s have dedicated coaches. Our u18 set up involves a head of youth (which has been unfilled) and a head of coaching. We also have a head of early development. 

we already have a “pathways” manager who’s job it is to manage youngsters who move up from u18s but aren’t ready for first team and give them loans.

all our recruitment is done by a dedicated recruitment manager. 

it’s clear the technical director at Aberdeen will have no say in who manages the team. As they aren’t filling the role before appointing the manager, assuming we can even appoint someone. 

Last season the womens role was filled by head of youth as we couldn’t fill the role. The director of football at Aberdeen doesn’t have qualifications to take any football teams. 

we also have a chief executive who’s role seems to breach into everything including football. We have a commercial manager. 

we have a football monitoring board and finally one of the most interfering chairman in club football. 

Aberdeen fc structure is absolutely crazy as it is and adding more layers is a nonsense. It’s a deliberate attempt to fudge responsibility as they aren’t happy with the fans attacking the individuals such as burrows and Cormack. Bring in someone new and give the fans a new scapegoat. 

we have a male team averaging 14,000

u18s average attendance about 80

women averaging about 150.

its anyone guess what the fuck goes on at Aberdeen all week with the amount of people employed these days who’s role seems to be covered by 2 or 3 people it’s little wonder nobody makes a decision about fucking anything.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 8
2 minutes ago, RUL said:

Why would we need a technical director and director of football? They have them in Europe because they have huge set ups which are typically :

first team 

b teams (u23s)

u21s 

u19s 

u18s down 

we have first team and u18s. The u18s have dedicated coaches. Our u18 set up involves a head of youth (which has been unfilled) and a head of coaching. We also have a head of early development. 

we already have a “pathways” manager who’s job it is to manage youngsters who move up from u18s but aren’t ready for first team and give them loans.

it’s clear the technical director at Aberdeen will have no say in who manages the team. As they aren’t filling the role before appointing the manager, assuming we can even appoint someone. 

Last season the womens role was filled by head of youth as we couldn’t fill the role. The director of football at Aberdeen doesn’t have qualifications to take any football teams. 

we also have a chief executive who’s role seems to breach into everything including football. We have a commercial manager. 

we have a football monitoring board and finally one of the most interfering chairman in club football. 

Aberdeen fc structure is absolutely crazy as it is and adding more layers is a nonsense. It’s a deliberate attempt to fudge responsibility as they aren’t happy with the fans attacking the individuals such as burrows and Cormack. Bring in someone new and give the fans a new scapegoat. 

its anyone guess what the fuck goes on at Aberdeen all week with the amount of people employed these days who’s role seems to be covered by 2 or 3 people it’s little wonder nobody makes a decision about fucking anything.

I suspect the introduction of a technical director would be with a view to phasing Gunn out.

But I agree about there being too many layers at the club. For me I'd be happy enough to see Gunn and Burrows go - haven't seen any evidence of good they have done at the club in recent years.

If they were gone and you had a competent technical director with more of a mixed football/corporate background and separately you had your commercial team then surely that would be a better structure.

12 minutes ago, RUL said:

first team 

b teams (u23s)

u21s 

u19s 

u18s down 

Tbh I’m just trusting German experts who have recommended this, but you have a point.

25 minutes ago, RUL said:

first team 

b teams (u23s)

u21s 

u19s 

u18s down 

Phenomenal post. Thank you. 

Just now, DelMonte said:

Tbh I’m just trusting German experts who have recommended this, but you have a point.

What have the German experts recommended?

I’d hope that part of their remit from AFC is to give their advice on the likely   benefits of having a Technical Director / Director of Football and what their job specification specifically for AFC should entail.  

39 minutes ago, C'monEweReds said:

Wake up, get ready, go to work, make a coffee then refresh AFC chat every half hour. 

Good to have a routine.

Stuart Kettlewell does the same, he told me in the Westhill Starbucks this morning.

• Haha 1
40 minutes ago, RUL said:

first team 

b teams (u23s)

u21s 

u19s 

u18s down 

I have no idea as to the management structure at other SPFL clubs but I’ll bet they’re not as complex as ours…and remember, despite all of these ‘layers’, we still had to bring in external consultants!

• Upvote 1
59 minutes ago, minijc said:

Yeah we definitely sounded him out a few weeks back, guessing he appeared keen then wasn't that keen when the push came to the shove.

We've then went away, tried and failed to get another manager so now that we are in a very desperate position we'll be offering him a substantial wage which will have got him interested again.

There's absolutely no way a German consultancy comes in and leaves you with him as a recommendation, none whatsoever, this is classic Cormack where he gets an idea in his head so it's that or nothing, regardless of what people around him say. 

Back in the day I worked for two companies where the MD "managed" the companies very much in the way it would appear Cormack "manages".

It didn't go well, ultimately, for the two companies mentioned above and I cannot see Cormack's chairmanship ending well either.

Will be interesting to see how many ST's are ultimately purchased for next season as this whole sorry mess develops.

Ps I cannot see O'Neil taking on our manager's position.