Next Manager

47 minutes ago, Tommy said:

The idea of paying stupid money for O’Neil is wrong.

I just want a manager in who makes us better. I don’t want Lennon but if he’s appointed, I won’t spit the dummy and stop going to games.

I’ll defo threaten to stop going 

• Haha 1
7 minutes ago, NoHenryIts3 said:

I think I'm a bit more positive than a lot of the comments on here.

re: Cormack, mistakes have definitely been made, but he's backed the managers he has appointed and I fully anticipate him doing so again with whomever comes in. He has an ambition for the club which currently we are not achieving, but I like and support the ambition and will be happy to keep paying my (small contribution) to the club to help them deliver.

I have no idea who the new manager will be. I hope we get someone in who the players respect and who has some proven ability in organising and coaching. We should be a front foot attacking and dominant team in just about every game we play. We then need to be well organised and disciplined in certain key matches. I don't think we've consistently achieved this since Derek (and agree we didn't achieve this toward the end of his time).

Lennon - I don't get the hate. I believe in 'stand free'  and have always seen us as club free of bigotry. I think some of the anti Lennon bile is bigotry. It may also be a belief that he isn't all that great a manager...

O'Neil - I can't see any reason why that would be an obviously bad appointment. Every appointment is a risk. O'Neil has experience inside and outside Scotland and at various levels of the game.

Others - well... lets wait and see. I'll be supporting.

O'Neill doesn't play front foot attacking football, so hiring him you'd be looking to change HIS ways which as we seen with Goodwin will most likely end terribly.

As for Cormack backing the managers, that's all good and well but when the recruitment isn't good it renders the money pointless.  Glass got the worst end of it, rookie manager expected to find players with no recruitment team set up, shambolic.

• Upvote 2

This is it, needs to get someone that will appease supporters, and that's looking pretty fuckin difficult. We're all spectacularly underwhelmed by who's been mentioned and that's a huge problem for the season tickets as well as getting it right on the pitch. 

1 minute ago, thegodfuzzy said:

This is it, needs to get someone that will appease supporters, and that's looking pretty fuckin difficult. We're all spectacularly underwhelmed by who's been mentioned and that's a huge problem for the season tickets as well as getting it right on the pitch. 

Don’t worry, the next manager will unify us all sure.

3 minutes ago, thegodfuzzy said:

They don’t need to appease fans. They need to get the squad performing on the pitch. If we win the last lot of games. Season tickets will take care of themselves. If some don’t want to go as it’s this person or that, so be it

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, minijc said:

O'Neill doesn't play front foot attacking football, so hiring him you'd be looking to change HIS ways which as we seen with Goodwin will most likely end terribly.

As for Cormack backing the managers, that's all good and well but when the recruitment isn't good it renders the money pointless.  Glass got the worst end of it, rookie manager expected to find players with no recruitment team set up, shambolic.

Recruitment has largely been pretty poor, outside a few like Miovski, Rama and (last season’s) Duk we’ve spent a decent wedge on players we’ve either barely used or have been shite. Which doesn’t tie in with two HoRs being headhunted, how much input do they have? Is there interference in that too? 

At least now it looks like Cormack is willing to invest in the managerial position as well as he does in the playing squad, the issue is he’s such a dickhead that none of these managers want anything to do with him. 

36 minutes ago, thegodfuzzy said:

I'd rather they take time than just appoint for the sake of it. Leven has been put in a shite position, no danger. But he surely must know he's nothing to lose, bit like Warnock. Leven has said he would like to stay on, he seems an able coach and is getting more out them than Warnock ever did...and at least he's trying to play fitba. 

It's shite, but personally I don't want a Lennon cause he's available and wants it. I don't think we should panic, despite the position we're in. I think the reason Robson was given more time, was becasue of this scenario, there isn't much about that is enticing. We're all a bit flat with the names and the non progress but I'd take that than appoint for a "That'll do"

They have took their time. 

2 hours ago, YorkDon said:

I’m sure Warnock will also tell managers in England what a basket case we are.

No decent manager will put up with an interfering chairman.

Who would seriously listen to that basket case Neil Warnock 

8 minutes ago, minijc said:

Glass should never have been here - full stop. Did he not sign Jet??? That says even more about his ability to spot a player never mind his ability to manage. 

I'm struggling to now think of anything Cormack could do to get me back onside with AFC. His tenure has been an absolute car crash and it's not looking any healthier from the outside looking in. Honestly what a mess.

1 hour ago, DelMonte said:

International break is over and no manager, what a surprise. 

“But who else would put the money into the club that Dave does”. Get fucked. We should be hounding this wanker out.

I think I agree with you now 

Problem is though, someone's got to buy him out?

19 minutes ago, minijc said:

Glass got the worst end of it, rookie manager expected to find players with no recruitment team set up, shambolic.

Correct, Glass was the right man but 5-10 years too early. Good ideas but was absolutely thrown to the wolves with what was essentially a support structure that was incomplete and those who were in place were rookies.

2 minutes ago, Millertime said:

I think I agree with you now 

Problem is though, someone's got to buy him out?

Put the club up for sale. If he loved the club as much as he says he’d do the right thing. His ego keeps him back from doing that however. 

12 minutes ago, Broken_Glass said:

Glass should never have been here - full stop. Did he not sign Jet??? That says even more about his ability to spot a player never mind his ability to manage. 

I'm struggling to now think of anything Cormack could do to get me back onside with AFC. His tenure has been an absolute car crash and it's not looking any healthier from the outside looking in. Honestly what a mess.

Whether he should have got the job or no that's nae the point, he, just like any other rookie would have been set up to fail.  First head coaching job, no recruitment team, a new director of football (lol) so I can't really take this "Cormack backs his managers" he threw him further under the bus in the Jan window as well.

• Upvote 2
1 minute ago, minijc said:

Whether he should have got the job or no that's nae the point, he, just like any other rookie would have been set up to fail.  First head coaching job, no recruitment team, a new director of football (lol) so I can't really take this "Cormack backs his managers" he threw him further under the bus in the Jan window as well.

You are spot on with your observations. Cormack’s sackings of the last three managers- all in late January has saved him spending money in the last three January transfer windows. Rarely does a club get transfers correct in the August window . The January window is there for adjusting, strengthening the squad. All other squads in our league recruited better than we have done in January. 

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, minijc said:

Come on now remember January is a notoriously tough window to sign players 😏

Just now, G man said:

You are spot on with your observations. Cormack’s sackings of the last three managers- all in late January has saved him spending money in the last three January transfer windows. Rarely does a club get transfers correct in the August window . The January window is there for adjusting, strengthening the squad. All other squads in our league recruited better than we have done in January. 

It's not about saving money, we tried and failed to sign several players in Jan.

1 minute ago, G man said:

This has happened 3 times now and panned out exactly the same. I get it you don’t want to be seen sacking managers but if you don’t back them on their second window you would be as well let them go before the window opens. 

1 hour ago, Sheeptastic said:

I don't have a clue what is actually going on behind the scenes but say the murmurings are on the right track and we've been trying candidates of the calibre of the likes of Thelin and the Rijeka manager, I wonder if it's time we start adjusting our approach?

I just don't think the Aberdeen job or any of our similar-sized rivals in Scotland are going to be seen as anything other than sideways steps at best from Elfsborg and Rijeka. Leaving aside a meddling chairman, if that's the case (again I don't have a clue), you've got a 12-team league that is badly marketed and heavily weighed in favour of two insufferable sides in every sense from the financial aspect to actual governance. Why would you leave a country where you can feasibly target winning the league for that? 

The problem is adjusting the ambition leaves you at best with domestic candidates like Lennon, Neil and O'Neill and overseas candidates in the mould of Ricardo Rodriguez or whoever. Perhaps this has become a realisation for the board throughout this process, perhaps we're just a basket case. Who knows.

💰💰💰

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, G man said:

The converse argument to that.......no matter what you think of Cormack overall.....is that he saved the club spending cash via managers who were all proven to be shite at their jobs, and recruitment in particular.

There is no dubiety that in all 3 cases, he waited far too long to bullet them though

1 minute ago, minijc said:

It's not about saving money, we tried and failed to sign several players in Jan.

Their lies the problem I think. Putting all our eggs in 1 basket for our first choices or even second and then our 3rd and 4th choices have already been signed by other people. 

If it is to be O'Neill, maybe be better to hold off on the Technical Director appointment.

O'Neill, takes over as manager for the rest of the season and the whole of 2024-25.

Gives us from now until Summer 2025 to find the correct fit as manger who from the start of 2025-26 wil be working under O'Neill would then step up to Technical director at that point.

A cleaner start, and would be easier to find the correct man for the job if he knew he'd be starting completely fresh at the start of the season. Enabling him to finish at whatever club he is at with a clean end of season break off.

Or something.

25 minutes ago, 20two20 said:

Correct, Glass was the right man but 5-10 years too early. Good ideas but was absolutely thrown to the wolves with what was essentially a support structure that was incomplete and those who were in place were rookies.

Absolute shite - Glass was miles out of his depth.  The only reason he was appointed was because he is the chairmans mate.

• Upvote 4
  • Dildo 1
1 hour ago, NoHenryIts3 said:

I think I'm a bit more positive than a lot of the comments on here.

re: Cormack, mistakes have definitely been made, but he's backed the managers he has appointed and I fully anticipate him doing so again with whomever comes in. He has an ambition for the club which currently we are not achieving, but I like and support the ambition and will be happy to keep paying my (small contribution) to the club to help them deliver.

I have no idea who the new manager will be. I hope we get someone in who the players respect and who has some proven ability in organising and coaching. We should be a front foot attacking and dominant team in just about every game we play. We then need to be well organised and disciplined in certain key matches. I don't think we've consistently achieved this since Derek (and agree we didn't achieve this toward the end of his time).

Lennon - I don't get the hate. I believe in 'stand free'  and have always seen us as club free of bigotry. I think some of the anti Lennon bile is bigotry. It may also be a belief that he isn't all that great a manager...

O'Neil - I can't see any reason why that would be an obviously bad appointment. Every appointment is a risk. O'Neil has experience inside and outside Scotland and at various levels of the game.

Others - well... lets wait and see. I'll be supporting.

Great post 👍👏👏👏

• Dildo 1
10 minutes ago, NEM said:

Absolute shite - Glass was miles out of his depth.  The only reason he was appointed was because he is the chairmans mate.

I wonder what make someone less out of their depth....maybe another 10 years experience? Like what I specifically suggested?

People like to pretend we didn't play some good football under Glass, but we absolutely did at times, it was clear what he was trying to do he just didn't quite have the nouse or the players to pull it off.

Again. 5-10 years more experience and in a club structure that actually had a recruitment team in place, *a semi-competent Chairman and a DoF that wasn't literally the club secretary a few months prior and it would have been a very different story. 

Edit: *

• Dildo 1
1 minute ago, 20two20 said:

I wonder what make someone less out of their depth....maybe another 10 years experience? Like what I specifically suggested?

People like to pretend we didn't play some good football under Glass, but we absolutely did at times, it was clear what he was trying to do he just didn't quite have the nouse or the players to pull it off.

Again. 5-10 years more experience and in a club structure that actually had a recruitment team in place and a DoF that wasn't literally the club secretary a few months prior and it would have been a very different story.

😂

The football we played under Glass was eye bleeding shit.  

• Dildo 1