Next Manager

Exactly as suspected but they had to say something.

Sounds like someone (O'Neil?) is in two minds. Just hope the club have back ups (doubt it) so they can tell whoever is leaving them waiting to stuff it and move on. But thats what a sensible operation would do 

1 minute ago, RDS said:

He was appointed to be in charge of day to day stuff hence he's the messenger

I wouldn't really class this complete failure / shambles as day to day to be honest. At a decently run club, this doesn't happen day to day, and IMO Cormack should be the one coming out and answering these questions.

1 hour ago, Don_Corleone said:

Once upon a time a football club chairman walked into a nightclub flashing his teeth at everyone who looked in his direction...

He makes a beeline for the expensive looking Irish bird who's there with her husband... she strings him along while the husbands gone to the toilet, he buys her a drink, but the husband returns and so he slopes off into the shadows hoping she'll somehow decide to leave her bloke for him.

Meanwhile, he spots a couple of sophisticated foreign ladies who are clearly out of his league. He swaggers over to them and introduces himself, flashing his teeth and wallet in their direction. They introduce themselves, but he can't pronounce their names right, and he proceeds to make a complete fool of himself trying to chat them up via google translate. They laugh and walk away.

He then heads for the bar to drown his sorrows. There he bumps into a couple of other local burds who are regulars there - they're familiar with nightclub having been spent a lot of time there in recent years. He could probably pull them if he bought them enough drinks, but they're a bit boring, and the last time he hooked up with someone like this it didn't end well. 

As the night draws to a close and the doors are about to be shut, he heads for the exit. Waiting there is a fat little ginger slapper who's been putting herself about looking for action all night without success. He knows that his mates will laugh at him if he goes home with her and he'll possibly pick up some kind of embarrassing disease, but he doesn't want to go home empty handed. The expensive looking Irish bird gives him a wink as she walks out with her husband, filling him with hope that maybe he can still land her somehow. The sophisticated foreign ladies seem nothing more than a dream as they elegantly drift off into the night. The local ladies give him a wave as they head home. Only the fat little ginge remains... will he take her home? Will he make an embarrasingly desparate attempt to catch up with the expensive looking Irish girl and get his head kicked in? Will he settle for the boring local birds? To be continued...

This is the best post on this thread ,and possibly  ever on the hat

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
3 minutes ago, redcryptoknight said:

This statement was made with the sole intention of saying nothing, in hopes it might pacify the fans just a little.

I think even they know this is a doomed strategy, but perhaps they judged it to be slightly better than total radio silence.

Damned either way tbh. 

Folk have been demanding an update even though there's fuck all to update them on. 

Probably the right call to post an interview rather than a statement.  Lets Leven focus on the game if nothing else. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Dynamo said:

Sounds like someone (O'Neil?) is in two minds. Just hope the club have back ups (doubt it) so they can tell whoever is leaving them waiting to stuff it and move it. But thats what a sensible operation would do 

It’s really strange whoever they are trying to give it too needs so much convincing.

As others have pointed out it seems clear now we are waiting for a decision from O'Neill and all our eggs are in his basket.

Wouldn't be my choice at all but have to hope now he accepts and soon or it appears we may be back to square one again, and last thing any of us need is them panicking and appointing Lennon.

6 minutes ago, minijc said:

Good to see the ever present Director of Football keeping us updated on the footballing side of things, class act.

A good point, why is it always Burrows jumping in front of a camera to make nothing statements? Perhaps Gunn is too busy jet-setting around Europe getting a start on summer recruitment. Or sat staring at his phone waiting for MON to call back.

Whilst he didn’t say much of substance, thought Burrows spoke relatively well. As we know though, words mean nothing & what he’s saying doesn’t fill me with confidence anyway. “Things change and we have to react to that” - yep the board have been reactive for the last 4 years at least. No change.

2 minutes ago, pittodriepie83 said:

A good point, why is it always Burrows jumping in front of a camera to make nothing statements? Perhaps Gunn is too busy jet-setting around Europe getting a start on summer recruitment. Or sat staring at his phone waiting for MON to call back.

Whilst he didn’t say much of substance, thought Burrows spoke relatively well. As we know though, words mean nothing & what he’s saying doesn’t fill me with confidence anyway. “Things change and we have to react to that” - yep the board have been reactive for the last 4 years at least. No change.

I’d say that falls more under the CEO’s remit? (The comms I mean).

4 minutes ago, RUL said:

It’s really strange whoever they are trying to give it too needs so much convincing.

Well if it's Michael O'Neill we're somehow trying to convince I can understand it... he's got a decent length of contract with an international team who he may have just turned the corner with. He'll be getting very well paid in a job with relatively low expectations and only a handful of games each season. It's a pretty easy life. He could likely get a job in the English Championship for more money than we're offering if things go pear shaped with N.Ireland.

We're trying to persuade him to come to us probably for lower money, more stress, higher expectations etc etc and at present we are an utter shambles. I'm not sure I'd make that move if I were him. The fact he's even considering it suggests that he's mental.

I just get the feeling if it is him we're pursuing that he's going to turn us down and we'll be back at square one. I reckon if he does say no it'll be Leven til the end of the season - I would probably prefer that than a panic appointment of Lennon or some other out of work manager we don't really want.

36 minutes ago, Medw1311 said:

This hasn't really done anything to reassure me that we are A) close to appointing a new manager B) going to appoint a good manager and C) currently have the right people in place in senior leadership positions.

It's a lot of media-trained look like we're answering the question 'what I would say' waffle. Credit where it's due to Mal, the questions were fairly spot on - they just weren't really answered.

I haven't really ever been convinced by Burrows. It's a combination of things and I don't know how legitimate my reasons are but I think there's a big difference between working as a chief exec at Motherwell and doing so at Aberdeen in terms of expectations. I know it's not realistic to expect to have an 'Aberdeen man' as such in that kind of post but would I still prefer one? Probably. It's always going to be hard for a lifelong Motherwell fan to properly understand Aberdeen. Additionally, he's alluded to it in his interview but I've also heard bits here and there about how he conducts himself at games as well.

With all that and the likelihood, as most of us seem to agree, that Gunn is out of his depth, I reckon we need new people in these senior roles. I would quite happily see a different chief exec working alongside a technical director (with no DofF) providing they are both strategic and strong-willed individuals with a good football background. If we had that, the one thing we probably can't change in the chairman could be countered a lot more than it is just now. 

Anyway, time to get behind Leven in the meantime. COYR.

12 minutes ago, RUL said:

Maybe convincing, maybe working in a foreign league or currently abroad?

If it's Michael O'Neill and we've got to pay a mad amount of compensation I'm going to be left very confused, surely we could take that compensation money and lump into a better offer for a manager closer to the end of his contract?

10 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Please stop with that 😁

Sorry

8 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

I’d say that falls more under the CEO’s remit? (The comms I mean).

Sort of, however I'm more used to seeing the DoF communicate stuff on the football side, pretty sure in Germany it's the DoF or the sporting director who would front the media and so on.

4 minutes ago, Sheeptastic said:

I know it's not realistic to expect to have an 'Aberdeen man' as such in that kind of post but would I still prefer one? Probably.

Have you read what they all say on here? A very high proportion of total morons appear to support Aberdeen. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Dildo 3
17 minutes ago, Dynamo said:

Sounds like someone (O'Neil?) is in two minds. Just hope the club have back ups (doubt it) so they can tell whoever is leaving them waiting to stuff it and move on. But thats what a sensible operation would do 

If O’Neil is fucking us about, you’d like to think the board see that as a red flag immediately.
Wiggy made the similar mistake with McGhee when he was basically hangin about to see if he’d get the Celtic job before ‘committing’ himself to be Dons manager.

• Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, Robin Askwith said:

If O’Neil is fucking us about, you’d like to think the board see that as a red flag immediately.
Wiggy made the similar mistake with McGhee when he was basically hangin about to see if he’d get the Celtic job before ‘committing’ himself to be Dons manager.

If O’Neil is pontificating, and the issue isn’t compensation to the Northern Irish FA, then presumably, the issue is his wages and his budget? 

Just now, sooth_stander said:

If O’Neil is pontificating, and the issue isn’t compensation to the Northern Irish FA, then presumably, the issue is his wages and his budget? 

And presumably how much interference from Cormack would concern him as well