Next Manager

Thought it was a decent interview under a harsh spotlight with a shitload of pressure. This is his job. Things haven't went to plan, and he spoke openly about it. Questions on point and I'm not sure what he could've said to appease everyone. He's got nae chance. He spoke honestly of the context without directly naming. We can all read between the lines and don't personally feel the need to be spoon-fed. 

Couldn't care less what he wears or sounds like. Find that pretty petty. And as a west coaster, pretty derogatory. 

Clearly trying to appoint and move on and sounds like we're getting "hmm, maybe" from someone..and for me, we just move on. But moving on presents someone that doesn't do it for them, or possibly the majority and that presents a problem. 

• Upvote 2
  • Dildo 1
51 minutes ago, C'monEweReds said:

Exactly what everyone expected really isn't it. 

I don't blame Burrows for this shambles, he is still fairly new to the club and this was an ongoing mess before he even signed up. Unfortunately for him he's now in the middle of it though and has to prove his worth now. But by no means is this his fault, the damage was done.

On a personal level it's no secret he's had a hard time since he was appointed, says a lot about his character the way he has managed to crack on.

He may be the messenger at this point, but don't forget the man at the top who is completely responsible. Hiding behind your staff isn't a great look.

You can't have it both ways though.

If on one hand people are complaining that Cormack micro manages everything and doesn't let his staff fulfil the roles they are employed to do through vanity or ego then that's a valid argument based on the evidence at hand. At the same time you can't then accuse him of hiding when the CEO who he has appointed to run the day to day affairs of the club is the one making the update statement, that's exactly who should be making it after all.  

Good to see he recognises his social media 'transparency' and his role as CEO are incompatible, hopefully he deletes it altogether.

• Upvote 2
1 minute ago, Dandys1983 said:

seems the weirdest move ever, but will get behind him, you just never know he might do well,

I also get feeling he wont take any shit, so could be interesting in the summer 

He has to want it first and right now it doesn't look likely.

I think we could do far worse but it's just an other move totally against what Cormack wanted when he set out his plan a few years ago.  Another negative, defensive manager who leans more towards the old way of thinking but Dave will expect him to have us playing front foot, attacking football which isn't something he's done for years.

• Upvote 2
2 minutes ago, VinegarStrokes said:

You can't have it both ways though.

If on one hand people are complaining that Cormack micro manages everything and doesn't let his staff fulfil the roles they are employed to do through vanity or ego then that's a valid argument based on the evidence at hand but at the same time you can't then accuse him of hiding when the CEO who he has appointed to run the day to day affairs of the club is the one making the update statement, that's exactly who should be making the statement. 

Good to see he recognises his social media 'transparency' and his role as CEO are incompatible, hopefully he deletes it altogether.

I do feel it has escalated to a level though where the chairman needs to be involved. There are appropriate times for a chairman to deliver updates, and I feel this is one of them given the unrest and lets be honest anger within the support. I wouldn't class this as micro managing, this is vital. As I said before as well this is not day to day, it couldn't be further away from day to day operations, this is appointing a new manager.

That's what I'm trying to get across. I do get what you are saying at the same time, just my opinion.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, minijc said:

He has to want it first and right now it doesn't look likely.

I think we could do far worse but it's just an other move totally against what Cormack wanted when he set out his plan a few years ago.  Another negative, defensive manager who leans more towards the old way of thinking but Dave will expect him to have us playing front foot, attacking football which isn't something he's done for years.

I think Dave will abandon that for a winning team now, he was happy to do that when appointing Robson after all following his run of wins last season 

• Upvote 1

i dont think he (O'Neill) is fucking us about. labour using its leverage to get a better deal is normal. we'd all do it if we could. and there is nothing wrong with it. he has something a business wants and he wants the best deal. its up to us to meet that or go away. if we walk away, or if he walks away, or is uncertain, thats also a very normal occurrence. 

Is it too much these days to expect a manager to be adaptable? 

If our manager can't set us up in different ways for different types of games then he's no fucking use to us. 

Playing away against a big club in Europe is a completely different animal to playing St Johnstone at home in the league. Anyone playing the same way in both those games would be aff their heid 

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, sigh said:

A bold assertion.

Well, he was the name Tosh posted about almost 3 weeks ago.  O'Neill just didn't land on our short list (lol) because others knocked us back, he's been on it from the start and it's only him who Cormack wants to be manager.

1 minute ago, Proud Dandy said:

I think Dave will abandon that for a winning team now, he was happy to do that when appointing Robson after all following his run of wins last season 

We'll never get to where he wants the club if he continues this shit though, Michael O'Neill might do alright if he takes the job but in 18months or so we'll be back to square one, pigeonholed into only being able to select a certain type of manager as the structure will be no nearer being right.

34 minutes ago, Robin Askwith said:

If O’Neil is fucking us about, you’d like to think the board see that as a red flag immediately.
Wiggy made the similar mistake with McGhee when he was basically hangin about to see if he’d get the Celtic job before ‘committing’ himself to be Dons manager.

Your talking about a board who were unaware in December there were any issues with the manager and then sacked him on 31 January.

Just now, RUL said:

Your talking about a board who were unaware in December there were any issues with the manager and then sacked him on 31 January.

With a chairman who used wins against the Broch and Turra to boost that failing managers stats, bloody great eh!

• Haha 1

I wonder what O'Neill himself thinks of this interview being released.

On the update itself, it's a difficult one. If it's as close as they hope it is then why not just wait? I mean if it's that close how much more time is needed? It strikes me as just updating us ahead of Leven's press conference which is fair enough I suppose.

22 minutes ago, minijc said:

Cormack wanted when he set out his plan a few years ago.

Best thing Dave could probably do now is delete that nonsense strategy they’ve got wherever it is on the website and admit it was just a complete buzzword salad to try & make it look like they had any idea what they wanted to do. There’s not been one manager in his whole tenure who has shown previously they can play that kind of football, he seems to be actively seeking the opposite in Michael O’Neil. 

Burrows seems a bit over it all now, definitely far less enthusiastic than he seemed when he arrived. Wouldn’t surprise me if he’s sick of Dave contradicting everything he claims to want/do & fucks off in the summer. 

1 minute ago, pittodriepie83 said:

Best thing Dave could probably do now is delete that nonsense strategy they’ve got wherever it is on the website and admit it was just a complete buzzword salad to try & make it look like they had any idea what they wanted to do. There’s not been one manager in his whole tenure who has shown previously they can play that kind of football, he seems to be actively seeking the opposite in Michael O’Neil. 

Burrows seems a bit over it all now, definitely far less enthusiastic than he seemed when he arrived. Wouldn’t surprise me if he’s sick of Dave contradicting everything he claims to want/do & fucks off in the summer. 

He could do that or he could actually try to implement it properly by employing the right type of manager to help fine tune it.

I don't give a fuck about attacking football, it's subjective but the other stuff where we should be building a squad where it doesn't matter who the manager is and we don't have constant disasters like we are experiencing the now, that would be a start.

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, pittodriepie83 said:

The club haven't mentioned the strategy in a long time. It's only the odd person on here that brings it up. 

It was only ever a mission statement anyway, people take it too literally 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, minijc said:

He could do that or he could actually try to implement it properly by employing the right type of manager to help fine tune it.

I don't give a fuck about attacking football, it's subjective but the other stuff where we should be building a squad where it doesn't matter who the manager is and we don't have constant disasters like we are experiencing the now, that would be a start.

He’s made it pretty clear he’s got no interest/clue in implementing it. It’s a scatter gun approach to everything, they’re making out now as if it’s due diligence and taking their time to get the “right man” in, in reality they’re just hoping for anyone that isn’t Neil Lennon who seems to be their last resort. 

Id be delighted if he started walking the walk but he’s had years to do it, if he hasn’t done it by now he’s never going to. 

6 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

The club haven't mentioned the strategy in a long time. It's only the odd person on here that brings it up. 

It was only ever a mission statement anyway, people take it too literally 

They made a big song & dance about it at the time & the only reason they haven’t mentioned it in ages is because they probably realise how badly it all gets picked apart. 

There's taking it literally & there’s having a look over what they said the plan is and struggling to correlate any of it to what’s actually happened. 

37 minutes ago, minijc said:

Well, he was the name Tosh posted about almost 3 weeks ago.  O'Neill just didn't land on our short list (lol) because others knocked us back, he's been on it from the start and it's only him who Cormack wants to be manager.

We'll never get to where he wants the club if he continues this shit though, Michael O'Neill might do alright if he takes the job but in 18months or so we'll be back to square one, pigeonholed into only being able to select a certain type of manager as the structure will be no nearer being right.

Progress!

1 hour ago, minijc said:

Good to see the ever present Director of Football keeping us updated on the footballing side of things, class act.

I am sure I heard the clink of tea cups, if you listen very carefully. A busy man is Gunn you know.

• Haha 1
46 minutes ago, madjockmcferson said:

i dont think he (O'Neill) is fucking us about. labour using its leverage to get a better deal is normal. we'd all do it if we could. and there is nothing wrong with it. he has something a business wants and he wants the best deal. its up to us to meet that or go away. if we walk away, or if he walks away, or is uncertain, thats also a very normal occurrence. 

Nobody just hands out $1,500 a day, gotta fight for it my man.