Next Manager

3 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

Does anyone really think Michael O'Neill is going to take this job even if we do agree terms with N.Ireland which is likely to cost us somewhere between £0.5-1m.

Nah. I would say if he really wanted it, things would be a lot further down the line. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, coveficove said:

If its O'Neil it could be the problem is his current employer seeking mega bucks compo given the deal the pushed out to get him back. Hibs faced same problem when he was in frame there and walked away [remember he still lives in Edinburgh]

Yeah but you have to remember, O’Neil did a Sportsound Monday night interview with Kenny Macintyre a few years back, where he claimed somebody in Scottish football was creating a false narrative that he (O’Neil) had a problem with the booze, and as a consequence, the job he was offered  (I can’t recall if it was the Hibs vacancy or maybe Dunfermline) got pulled off the table.
He never did reveal who that whistle blower was

37 minutes ago, RedRichard said:

So why would O'Neill tell a journo on tuesday night that the connection with us was a media construct? Would he be so desperate to avoid the speculation that he'd just lie?

because he has a job and is (maybe) increasing his leverage like any worker would do. or something else

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

Does anyone really think Michael O'Neill is going to take this job even if we do agree terms with N.Ireland which is likely to cost us somewhere between £0.5-1m.

If it’s O’Neill then he will be costing a decent amount. You then have potential coaching staff, likely candidate is Diarmuid O’Carroll his NI assistant but also St Mirren assistant currently so he would also cost(supposed to be a very good coach), Jimmy Nicholl, Aaron Hughes and dare I say it Steven Davis are his other coaches currently. His previous assistant at Stoke is now Gerrards assistant in Saudi. 

• Dildo 1
23 minutes ago, jamiesd said:

That ‘update’ really is a shocker.  Good questions from Mal and first class impression of Tony Blair by Burrows.

100% the questions were not Mals alone and they'd all been agreed beforehand and answers also agreed and rehearsed. 

If O'Neil was the first choice, then i very much doubt we have been sitting waiting for weeks, with a decision or compensation still to be agreed or other areas to be agreed. It just wouldn’t make sense. 

likewise, if we were as close as Burrows made out, then why drop the video statement today. A written update would have sufficed. 

something stinks and i still think Journo’s have no real clue, so are still sitting on the O'Neill information from a week or so ago. 

like others, i suspect we have been knocked back by our primary targets, and have now moved on to someone in europe.  

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, Sheepskin_1903 said:

If O'Neil was the first choice, then i very much doubt we have been sitting waiting for weeks, with a decision or compensation still to be agreed or other areas to be agreed. It just wouldn’t make sense. 

likewise, if we were as close as Burrows made out, then why drop the video statement today. A written update would have sufficed. 

something stinks and i still think Journo’s have no real clue, so are still sitting on the O'Neill information from a week or so ago. 

like others, i suspect we have been knocked back by our primary targets, and have now moved on to someone in europe.  

Franck Haise.🤔

41 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

You’d have to imagine we’ve already spoken to him, indirectly of course, and been given an encouraging response.

1 hour ago, minijc said:

He's 1st choice and has been for weeks now, if you dig a bit deeper some around the club will even tell you he was in line to get the job in the summer.

They're saying he was in line to get job after Robson was appointed permanently or was going to get it this Summer coming after Warnock?

56 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

Yeah but you have to remember, O’Neil did a Sportsound Monday night interview with Kenny Macintyre a few years back, where he claimed somebody in Scottish football was creating a false narrative that he (O’Neil) had a problem with the booze, and as a consequence, the job he was offered  (I can’t recall if it was the Hibs vacancy or maybe Dunfermline) got pulled off the table.
He never did reveal who that whistle blower was

I think the story was he thought he was getting the Hibs job but the St Johnstone chairman (Brown?) told him someone was spreading the drinking rumours around, allegedly from the camp of some other boy who wanted the Hibs job.

Anyway, let's get him in, sooner the better.