12 of our first 18 league games were against the current top 6, with 5 of our next 6 league games against the same top 6.

That will mean that 17 of our first 24 league games will be against the current top 6, with only 7 matches against the remaining teams in the current bottom 6.

Is it any wonder that we are currently 8th?

As things stand we have earned 8 points from the 12 top matches and 14 points from the 6 bottom matches.

Totally bizarre set of circumstances, which means that we will be a catch-up pre the split with 9 successive games against the remaining teams in the current bottom 6.

Which takes me to my point.

If we can play a bit more consistently in the forthcoming 6 league matches, and earn a better points ratio, our performances against the bottom teams should earn a good return of points pre the split and, hopefully, comfortably into the European qualifying places as a consequence. 

Much as this season has been very frustrating to date I can, somewhat unlike me, see some light at the end of the tunnel via the future fixture lists.

5 minutes ago, BaaBaaRedSheep said:

12 of our first 18 league games were against the current top 6, with 5 of our next 6 league games against the same top 6.

That will mean that 17 of our first 24 league games will be against the current top 6, with only 7 matches against the remaining teams in the current bottom 6.

As things stand we have earned 8 points from the 12 top matches and 14 points from the 6 bottom matches.

Totally bizarre set of circumstances, which means that we will be a catch-up pre the split with 9 successive games against the remaining teams in the current bottom 6.

If we can play a bit more consistently in the forthcoming 6 league matches, and earn a better points ratio, our performances against the bottom teams should earn a good return of points pre the split and, hopefully, comfortably into the European qualifying places as a consequence. 

Much as this season has been very frustrating to date I can, somewhat unlike me, see some light at the end of the tunnel via the future fixture lists.

Agreed, if we play better we can win games

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

It's been a weird season fixture wise. It's also crazy we don't have a single home game in January. 

However, having said that, one of the main reasons that Kilmarnock, Hibs and St Mirren are in the top half in the first place is that we've lost just about every game we've played against them so far. 

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

It's been a weird season fixture wise. It's also crazy we don't have a single home game in January. 

However, having said that, one of the main reasons that Kilmarnock, Hibs and St Mirren are in the top half in the first place is that we've lost just about every game we've played against them so far. 

This^^^

just for clarity by the way I assume the cup for europe strategy is win or bust?  Beaten finalist wont bring any rewards?

17 minutes ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

This^^^

just for clarity by the way I assume the cup for europe strategy is win or bust?  Beaten finalist wont bring any rewards?

Correct. Which is why we rather than ICT had European group stage football this season.

12 minutes ago, Medw1311 said:

Correct. Which is why we rather than ICT had European group stage football this season.

Cheers.  I just mean its not impossible we'd make the final again potentially beating a cheek to get there.  But its a virtual certainty the other one will be the other finalist, hence the win or bust comment.

Scotland has the weirdest Tier 1 setup in Europe by far.

12 teams, that's comical for a start. 

It should be a league of Sixteen Teams.

There needs to be more domestic fixtures from August-November.

Take a break in December the way most of Europe does.

Play out the League Cup so that the Final is in October.

Belgium's setup isn't bad...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022–23_Belgian_Pro_League#League_table

Population of 12 million, clubs are clustered together like in Scotland.

Their playoff format creates fierce competition between the top four, even five clubs.

It's a recent format, but it seems to work, creates a vibrant league.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, BaaBaaRedSheep said:

So what you’re saying is we’re a bottom 6 team ?

• Upvote 1
55 minutes ago, GAME OF BILLIONS said:

Scotland has the weirdest Tier 1 setup in Europe by far.

12 teams, that's comical for a start. 

It should be a league of Sixteen Teams.

There needs to be more domestic fixtures from August-November.

Take a break in December the way most of Europe does.

Play out the League Cup so that the Final is in October.

Belgium's setup isn't bad...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022–23_Belgian_Pro_League#League_table

Population of 12 million, clubs are clustered together like in Scotland.

Their playoff format creates fierce competition between the top four, even five clubs.

It's a recent format, but it seems to work, creates a vibrant league.

Would love a bigger league, but will never happen as long as the bigot cunts are in the league.

2 hours ago, BaaBaaRedSheep said:

good post.  The problem for us is though we have got ourselves into a mess we should NEVER be in.  No disrespect to the other teams but some of them are fucking awful, what does that say about us ?!!I don't mind having to play catch up on fixtures for what ever reason but losing so many games already has us in tough position 

25 minutes ago, BaaBaaRedSheep said:

Nope. We're in a false position because of fixture mix to date and should be well into top six by the split. 

But you said we’ve struggled against the top 6 teams. Surely if we were a top team, we wouldn’t struggle as we have? 8 points from 36? That’s not the points total of a top 3 or 4 team.

3 hours ago, DD1903 said:

But you said we’ve struggled against the top 6 teams. Surely if we were a top team, we wouldn’t struggle as we have? 8 points from 36? That’s not the points total of a top 3 or 4 team.

Your logic is correct. 

He's framing the argument as 'We've struggled because we've played the Top 6 teams', what Robson would call 'Proper teams'. If that's the case then logically if we were a top 6 team we wouldn't have struggled, we'd have held our own against them. We didn't, therefore we're a Bottom 6 side logically and factually. 

The football we've played has been atrocious, at times relegation-standard. 

At this point in time we are exactly where we deserve to be. 

Bottom 6. 

There's no 'false position' about it. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
14 hours ago, DD1903 said:

just carrying on our awful form against the better sides in the league after last season when we only took 18 points out of 60 against the other 5 teams that ended up in the top 6 with us. 

Regardless of where teams are in the league... they are all rubbish. It's the same as last season, and the season before. Every team outwith Sevco and Celtic are rubbish and inconsistent. All we need to be is slightly better than rubbish and we should finish 3rd. Even from our current position this is not a massive miracle if it happens. We have 4 games in hand over some teams and if we win them all we'll more than likely be fourth. Given how the first half of the season has gone, winning all 4 seems highly unlikely. But remember, whoever these games in hand are against, they are rubbish and inconsistent too. We just have to be slightly less rubbish. Last night's game showed that if we play even anywhere close to our capabilities we can win games fairly easily. Play the 4231, play Barron deep and Clarkson forward, pass the ball quickly on the ground, and we will win more often than not in this garbage league full of rubbish teams. Miovski staying is a factor... but if he does go we play Duk up front instead and if he comes even close to the player he was last season in the second half of this season we'll barely miss Miovski.

• Upvote 1

All this is fine but a team with our resources shouldn't be getting beat by Kilmarnock and St Mirren, certainly at home. Hibs are more comparable budget wise but as we've seen, their team is pretty crap this season.

And I appreciate the squad was threadbare for the first game of the season but given the fees and salaries involved that squad should have had enough to beat Livingston. Instead we got hoofball against their land of the giants backline.

16 hours ago, BaaBaaRedSheep said:

Nope. We're in a false position because of fixture mix to date and should be well into top six by the split. 

We're nae really in a false position. We are where we are cause we've played shit most of the season...St Mirren at home was a prime example. 

I think we'll climb the table and be top six, but saying we are where we are cause of the fixture mix is clutching at straws. 

• Upvote 2
13 hours ago, Don_Corleone said:

Regardless of where teams are in the league... they are all rubbish. It's the same as last season, and the season before. Every team outwith Sevco and Celtic are rubbish and inconsistent. All we need to be is slightly better than rubbish and we should finish 3rd. Even from our current position this is not a massive miracle if it happens. We have 4 games in hand over some teams and if we win them all we'll more than likely be fourth. Given how the first half of the season has gone, winning all 4 seems highly unlikely. But remember, whoever these games in hand are against, they are rubbish and inconsistent too. We just have to be slightly less rubbish. Last night's game showed that if we play even anywhere close to our capabilities we can win games fairly easily. Play the 4231, play Barron deep and Clarkson forward, pass the ball quickly on the ground, and we will win more often than not in this garbage league full of rubbish teams. Miovski staying is a factor... but if he does go we play Duk up front instead and if he comes even close to the player he was last season in the second half of this season we'll barely miss Miovski.

And that is it. Best of the shite (which carries a European place as well).

On 1/2/2024 at 8:49 PM, Ke1t said:

Your logic is correct. 

He's framing the argument as 'We've struggled because we've played the Top 6 teams', what Robson would call 'Proper teams'. If that's the case then logically if we were a top 6 team we wouldn't have struggled, we'd have held our own against them. We didn't, therefore we're a Bottom 6 side logically and factually. 

The football we've played has been atrocious, at times relegation-standard. 

At this point in time we are exactly where we deserve to be. 

Bottom 6. 

There's no 'false position' about it. 

We've played FOUR less games than both the current 4th and 5th place teams.

(Enough, mathematically, to leap over them,)

I'm not saying we'll bank all 12 points, but I'm confident we'll make up good ground.

Fully expect a top six finish.

Making a statement at the House of Pain at the end of the month will go a long way to how the second half of the season unfolds.

On 1/2/2024 at 2:40 PM, BaaBaaRedSheep said:

Shite teams fan who’s team gets beat by everyone complains that it’s because all the other teams are above his team & that’s unfair 

On 1/2/2024 at 4:23 PM, DD1903 said:

So what you’re saying is we’re a bottom 6 team ?

Yeah & theres 6 teams in top six we can play but it’s unfair because there’s only 5 teams in the bottom 6 we can play.

So we should be allowed to play with ourselves 🥰