Killian Phillips

4 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

He signed a new contract with Palace back in August so I'd think it's unlikely they're writing him off just yet. They loaned him to Wycombe immediately after this, supposedly for the full season but obv we have stepped in and Palace have chosen to recall him then loaned him to us. Presumably to see if he can cope playing at a higher level.

He does turn 22 in about 8 weeks and you have to wonder if he hasn't made the breakthrough at Palace by now if he ever will. If the loan with us doesn't go well then you'd have to imagine he'll probably never make the step-up.

I’m sorry to say this because I’ve fought the fight for the last few years. It’s simply not a higher level at the moment. Have watched a few championship team games this weekend in the FA cup and they are absolutely streets ahead of us. League 1 about level I’d say. 

19 minutes ago, DelMonte said:

I’m sorry to say this because I’ve fought the fight for the last few years. It’s simply not a higher level at the moment. Have watched a few championship team games this weekend in the FA cup and they are absolutely streets ahead of us. League 1 about level I’d say. 

How much of that is down to the players and how much is down to the management/coaching?

I think there are some very good players up here at most of the clubs outwith Glasgow (who given their resources can recruit players a cut above).

But when i look at the management side of things, there's a serious drop off in quality.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, fine-n-dandy said:

he’s saying there’s a lot of much better players than him coming through in Ireland at U21’s 

Worth a look? 

Never mind, forgot our manager for a second there

Random that he’s saying that?

57 minutes ago, JamieMT said:

How much of that is down to the players and how much is down to the management/coaching?

I think there are some very good players up here at most of the clubs outwith Glasgow (who given their resources can recruit players a cut above).

But when i look at the management side of things, there's a serious drop off in quality.

Agreed. With a bit of decent management or coaching a lot can be done. Just look at Killie under Clarke 

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, englishred said:

Agreed. With a bit of decent management or coaching a lot can be done. Just look at Killie under Clarke 

Feels like managers & coaches aren't shown their value in Scotland. Possibly because there's only so much money to go round, so clubs prioritise players.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, RUL said:

Random that he’s saying that?

It’s a long interview 11/12 mins. Usual footballing life story questions & he says about the quality at the younger age group in Ireland U21’s right now & how they’re doing so well. Especially compared to full Int’s

15 minutes ago, JamieMT said:

Feels like managers & coaches aren't shown their value in Scotland. Possibly because there's only so much money to go round, so clubs prioritise players.

🤣

sorry but I seriously cannot think of one single manager that is ‘under valued’ in Scotland, currently or in recent years. 

I think the problem is Scottish clubs aren’t willing to invest in quality managers. preferring to get ‘unknowns’ or inexperienced on cheap (or fossils) in hope that they ‘click’

Scottish football is a managerial Nursery for most part supplemented by a few managers looking for last wage before death

2 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

🤣

sorry but I seriously cannot think of one single manager that is ‘under valued’ in Scotland, currently or in recent years. 

I think the problem is Scottish clubs aren’t willing to invest in quality managers. preferring to get ‘unknowns’ or inexperienced on cheap (or fossils) in hope that they ‘click’

Scottish football is a managerial Nursery for most part supplemented by a few managers looking for last wage before death

You misread the intention (or i wasn't clear), the position's undervalued. We're on the same page.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, JamieMT said:

You misread the intention (or i wasn't clear), the position's undervalued. We're on the same page.

Fair enough 

Yeah clubs aren’t willing to splash cash on quality manager because they’re all happy just to make book & maintain & that ‘should’ be very easy to do in Scotland with even the most basic of managers.

All boils down to the fact that the arse cheeks have long since ruined the game to pretty much irreparable levels.

Things need to change though & clubs  on budgets like ours & the Edinburgh clubs need to make a point of dishing out to get in some real quality. Even at expense of a squad player or twos wages.

Fossils are ok in some cases, if they are actual quality fossils. 

6 hours ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Fair enough 

Yeah clubs aren’t willing to splash cash on quality manager because they’re all happy just to make book & maintain & that ‘should’ be very easy to do in Scotland with even the most basic of managers.

All boils down to the fact that the arse cheeks have long since ruined the game to pretty much irreparable levels.

Things need to change though & clubs  on budgets like ours & the Edinburgh clubs need to make a point of dishing out to get in some real quality. Even at expense of a squad player or twos wages.

Fossils are ok in some cases, if they are actual quality fossils. 

I’ve said this before though.  It is incumbent on Diddy Clubs to invest in players and coaches to hopefully reap some reward for that Club.

Its not incumbent on them to make the League and Cup competitions more exciting for two Clubs.

I appreciate the two aren’t mutually exclusive especially if European involvement is concerned.  But ultimately you can be just Third or a distant third.  You’re still 3rd.

And yes of course I’d presently love to be 3rd.

Thrown in at the deep end with no idea what to expect from the game up here. 

Was clearly struggling to find his feet, but again... not the game to be judging him, certainly not that first half.