Var errors

1 hour ago, Dynamo said:

I thought the straight red was a borderline red (totally reckless) but the ref couldn't get his card out quick enough. 

Steven McLean couldn't even remember what pocket he had put his red card before brandishing it at the Hibs player (second sending off).

It was reckless, however his intention was always to win the ball and I don't think he even touched that rat Lundstram, who pathetically feigned injury.

Yes, Id agree - you dont intentionally go for a guy with two feet and miss by that much, you just dont.

But he's airborne and it looks horrendous.  Different style but its the same as the Nip boy's high foot against Hearts last week.  Relatively innocent but show a corrupt wank like Beaton et al a still of a set of studs next a boys face there's only one thing coming (if that result particularly suits the VAR person in situ) 

On 3/14/2024 at 11:50 AM, RedArmyFakshun said:

Chris Graham. assisted by Graeme Leslie

If referees can't get it right after looking at an incident half a dozen times on a screen then they are cheating. The McKenzie so called handball the other night would never be given in England.

I really don't have the energy to go into individual cases but VAR has been an awful introduction to our game.

It isn't specific to Scotland either. It has been a disaster wherever it has been introduced. It needs to be binned. It's all about the TV companies and the armchair viewers. They don't care about the spontaientiy that is all important to fans inside stadiums. Theyl armchairs love the drama of waiting and watching the video replays etc. That's who it has been brought in for. Bloody TV coverage. 

• Upvote 2

Get it in the bin and use the money for youth development. 

Analysing footage over and over again to find reasons to give penalties and disallow goals because someone's arse might be slightly offside is surely not what everyone thought var could add to our game? 

• Upvote 2
5 minutes ago, DeltaRay1903 said:

I really don't have the energy to go into individual cases but VAR has been an awful introduction to our game.

It isn't specific to Scotland either. It has been a disaster wherever it has been introduced. It needs to be binned. It's all about the TV companies and the armchair viewers. They don't care about the spontaientiy that is all important to fans inside stadiums. Theyl armchairs love the drama of waiting and watching the video replays etc. That's who it has been brought in for. Bloody TV coverage. 

Nah, it was brought in because of the ever increasing volume of criticism of refs and linesmen getting decisions wrong from pretty much every section of the football spectrum……managers , players , pundits , media and fans.  
Turn the clock back 5 or 10 years and pretty much every football program on tv would include examples of refereeing mistakes followed by comments to the effect that “we have the technology now for the ref to get another look within a minute and to get the right decision….we need to use the technology to help the ref get the decision right”

But in general these sort of comments related mainly to decisions which were clearly and obviously wrong.   One of the main problems with the way VAR’s been implemented is that it’s often used to change decisions where the possible error by the onfield ref or linesman is nowhere near clear and obvious.  

• Upvote 2
3 minutes ago, redone said:

Nah, it was brought in because of the ever increasing volume of criticism of refs and linesmen getting decisions wrong from pretty much every section of the football spectrum……managers , players , pundits , media and fans.  
Turn the clock back 5 or 10 years and pretty much every football program on tv would include examples of refereeing mistakes followed by comments to the effect that “we have the technology now for the ref to get another look within a minute and to get the right decision….we need to use the technology to help the ref get the decision right”

But in general these sort of comments related mainly to decisions which were clearly and obviously wrong.   One of the main problems with the way VAR’s been implemented is that it’s often used to change decisions where the possible error by the onfield ref or linesman is nowhere near clear and obvious.  

Nah. VAR is shite. Full stop. The game should be kept as simple as possible with it being officiated the same at all levels from grassroot to elite. Sadly we're getting too far away from that ethos because of TV and the money it has brought into the game.  

• Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, DeltaRay1903 said:

Nah. VAR is shite. Full stop. The game should be kept as simple as possible with it being officiated the same at all levels from grassroot to elite. Sadly we're getting too far away from that ethos because of TV and the money it has brought into the game.  

This. 

The fact that there is a TV programme hosted by Michael Owen purely to discuss var reviews tells us we've gone too far through the looking glass 

I always say the Lampard goal that wasn’t (it was :laughing:) against Germany as the seminal moment in modern football.  Tv audience of 100 m were able to see it was over the line but no one was allowed to tell the ref.  Absolutely mental.

VAR should have started with basics like that and worked its way in.  Instead it seemed to think it could “cure” the game overnight.

i know goal line technology’s a different thing but point stands.  Ignore scuffs off arms and marginal ba hair offsides and consistently get the basics right first.

• Upvote 1
17 minutes ago, redone said:

I do think VAR is far worse in Scotland. Refs/ assistants seem to have become lazy and wait for VAR to make a decision . If the ref on the field does not think they have made a wrong decision they should have the courage to stick with their original decision. Would also like to see VAR adopt the TMO system from Rugby where on televised games and in programme highlights you can hear the discussion between the ref and the VAR official.

3 minutes ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

I always say the Lampard goal that wasn’t (it was :laughing:) against Germany as the seminal moment in modern football.  Tv audience of 100 m were able to see it was over the line but no one was allowed to tell the ref.  Absolutely mental.

VAR should have started with basics like that and worked its way in.  Instead it seemed to think it could “cure” the game overnight.

i know goal line technology’s a different thing but point stands.  Ignore scuffs off arms and marginal ba hair offsides and consistently get the basics right first.

I think goal line technology was used in the English premiership for a few years before VAR was introduced. And with very few exceptions the goal line technology works.  I don’t think we have it in Scotland ……or do we ?

But I agree with your general point that technology shouldn’t be used for the marginal calls 

Listening to the radio today on a driving job.

thought Michael Stewart made a good point about Shanklands “interference” offside namely what is he doing there if he’s not trying to put the keeper off.

So frustrating that there seems to be a quick fix for some of VARs problems..  Stick an ex player in beside the VAR ref.

• Upvote 1
15 minutes ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

thought Michael Stewart made a good point about Shanklands “interference” offside namely what is he doing there if he’s not trying to put the keeper off.

So frustrating that there seems to be a quick fix for some of VARs problems..Stick an ex player in beside the VAR ref.  

The SFA pool of ex players for VAR duty:

Graeme Roberts

Tom Boyd

Kenny Miller

Peter Grant 

Alex Rae

Andy Walker 

etc

VAR is meant to be there for clear and obvious errors. They should be given a time limit. You get 30 seconds to look at footage. If you can't make up your mind in that time then it's not clear and obvious. Original ref decision stands.

Need to simplify a couple of rules too. With offside, just check the feet. No one cares if a boys quiff is offside. Feet only. Makes the lines easier. If the lines are touching then he's level, so onside.

And just chuck the handball rule out the window. If a shots on target and it hits an arm that makes the body bigger, penalty. If it stops the ball reaching an opposition player by making the body bigger then penalty. If it's deliberate, penalty .

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
52 minutes ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

So frustrating that there seems to be a quick fix for some of VARs problems..  Stick an ex player in beside the VAR ref.

The vast majority of players don’t know the laws of the game.

• Upvote 1
48 minutes ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

I don't agree. There are plenty of times ex-players have disagreed amongst themselves with decisions whilst commenting etc 

9 minutes ago, Daisy1903 said:

VAR is meant to be there for clear and obvious errors. They should be given a time limit. You get 30 seconds to look at footage. If you can't make up your mind in that time then it's not clear and obvious. Original ref decision stands.

Need to simplify a couple of rules too. With offside, just check the feet. No one cares if a boys quiff is offside. Feet only. Makes the lines easier. If the lines are touching then he's level, so onside.

And just chuck the handball rule out the window. If a shots on target and it hits an arm that makes the body bigger, penalty. If it stops the ball reaching an opposition player by making the body bigger then penalty. If it's deliberate, penalty .

Nah, everytime it was ruling against the Huns there would be "technical errors" preventing a judgement within your time frame. You know it, I know it. 

22 minutes ago, perthshirered said:

Nah, everytime it was ruling against the Huns there would be "technical errors" preventing a judgement within your time frame. You know it, I know it. 

I mean aye, that will happen. But whatever system or laws we use they'll always find loopholes to suit the huns.

Hopefully the above would stop all the mental decisions we've had against pretty much every other club this season. It would also stop the 5 minute delays in getting to a decision and then making up the amount of extra time at the end of games.

I don't think VAR is bad, I think it's just highlighted how shite/corrupt the refs are. 

3 hours ago, Daisy1903 said:

I completely agree. 20-30 seconds max. If you can't see it in a quick watch back then it isn't clear or obvious, leave the refs decision or invite him to look at it. 

If shouldn't be going looking for monor infringements nobody even appealed 

• Upvote 1
On 3/17/2024 at 8:07 PM, Daisy1903 said:

I don't think VAR is bad, I think it's just highlighted how shite/corrupt the refs are. 

I'm going to guess you don't go to many games.

Either way, it's putting me right off. If you can't enjoy a bounce, what's the fucking point?

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Dandyesque said:

I'm going to guess you don't go to many games.

Either way, it's putting me right off. If you can't enjoy a bounce, what's the fucking point?

Aye, it's ruined actually being at a game. Hanging about after every goal waiting to see if it's gonna be disallowed. Like you say, the bounce when you score is the reason you go. Apart from that you're normally looking at your watch, looking forward to getting back to the warm pub.

• Upvote 1