Var errors

No caring what anyone says, that Hun one was never a penalty. They are effectively saying that you are are not allowed to make any contact with the attacking player. He played the ball, the contact was absolutely minimal. The handball isn't even up for discussion. 

Our one was tight but probably offside. 

Doesn't a fully silenced Ibrox sound wonderful? Just a pity it was Celtic and not others but still. 

1 hour ago, perthshirered said:

No caring what anyone says, that Hun one was never a penalty. They are effectively saying that you are are not allowed to make any contact with the attacking player.

Correct - whether he contacted the ball first (he did) is being completely ignored whereas its been used as the justification why incidents such as Miovski's one haven't been given previously.  The wee wank McCann even tries to claim the Hun gets the ball first (he doesn't, not even close) in the foul in the lead up to their eventually disallowed goal having argued minutes earlier that it doesnt matter.   

What's not clear is if Beaton was shown the contact part in the penalty incident.  Stewart actually says it in the live commentary - "There's no point just looking at that bit, no-one is arguing if there's contact"

4 minutes ago, Granite95 said:

https://twitter.com/aberdeenfc/status/1778084142967623741?s=46&t=FuVMPpjnDedDeTTh1q72Yg

strong statement from the club re the ridiculous decision last Saturday 

A fucking shambles from top to bottom. VAR failed & they had to guess using a freeze frame? And then told Sportscene they wouldn’t provide lines because they weren’t needed as it was obviously offside! Laughable if it wasn’t for the fact it cost us points.

3 minutes ago, pittodriepie83 said:

A fucking shambles from top to bottom. VAR failed & they had to guess using a freeze frame? And then told Sportscene they wouldn’t provide lines because they weren’t needed as it was obviously offside! Laughable if it wasn’t for the fact it cost us points.

This is the bit that really gets me. A total cover-up. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, pittodriepie83 said:

If Hawkeye wasn't working, how, the fuck, could VAR get involved and over rule the referee and linesman? Its a joke. They get involved when they have evidence that a clear and obvious error has occurred. They don't have that evidence

• Like 1

Decent statement that. Sums up the use of VAR perfectly. So keen are the officials to re-referee the games with it that they'll use it even when it's broken and they can't see what they're looking for on it anyway.

The SFA will probably fine us for releasing that statement

• Upvote 3

Good statement correctly acknowledging that we've also benefitted, but in the main, been negatively impacted. 

I notice the Arsenal penalty that wasnt last night isnt getting much coverage up here.  Apparently if the defender stops (in this case it was Neuer in goal) and the striker deliberately initiates contact and goes down an experienced qualified european referee is at liberty to not give a penalty, however much the home fans want it to be.  How novel.

• Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, Sheeptastic said:

This is the bit that really gets me. A total cover-up. 

They must’ve known it would’ve come out that they’d made a cunt of it? 

6 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

If Hawkeye wasn't working, how, the fuck, could VAR get involved and over rule the referee and linesman? Its a joke. They get involved when they have evidence that a clear and obvious error has occurred. They don't have that evidence

Exactly.

Nothing clear and obvious about it, linesman didn’t flag & there was no chance anyone looking at a freeze frame could definitively say if anyone was offside or not. Original on field decision should’ve stood. 

• Upvote 2
6 minutes ago, Johnnyred1 said:

It could be argued that at the very least, the whole process is either flawed, corrupt or both. Those that gave a statement to the BBC have shown the hierarchy to be no better that politicians and the bosses of the Post Office. 

It's corrupt. 

The Scottish game makes Albanian football look legit.

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

It's a start... but what is AFC actually going to do about it? 

I cannot understand why if the system “failed” they should stick with the original decision which was to award the goal. To compound an error by making another one is unforgivable.The only way VAR should be used next season is if they use the full system and not a cheap version. Again Scottish football being sold short. I see Dundee’s game is postponed again tonight- 5 postponements at Dens Park this season. Gives them the advantage of knowing if they need anything from the game to get top 6. If they cannot be bothered to invest in their pitch they should either have the points awarded against them or not be allowed to spend money on players, as they did heavily in January.

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, G man said:

I cannot understand why if the system “failed” they should stick with the original decision which was to award the goal. To compound an error by making another one is unforgivable.The only way VAR should be used next season is if they use the full system and not a cheap version. Again Scottish football being sold short. I see Dundee’s game is postponed again tonight- 5 postponements at Dens Park this season. Gives them the advantage of knowing if they need anything from the game to get top 6. If they cannot be bothered to invest in their pitch they should either have the points awarded against them or not be allowed to spend money on players, as they did heavily in January.

That’s the big I don’t get, min! It’s marginal, the tech is broken, so they can’t conclude against the onfield decision, yet they do. It’s just wrong. I could accept this, if the linesman had flagged offside at the time and there was nothing conclusive to change that decision, coz var was broken. 

it’s like the egg chasing. ‘On field decision is try’. Therefore, any conclusive reason that the try shouldn’t be awarded’ 

41 minutes ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

Good statement correctly acknowledging that we've also benefitted, but in the main, been negatively impacted. 

I notice the Arsenal penalty that wasnt last night isnt getting much coverage up here.  Apparently if the defender stops (in this case it was Neuer in goal) and the striker deliberately initiates contact and goes down an experienced qualified european referee is at liberty to not give a penalty, however much the home fans want it to be.  How novel.

That Arsenal incident would be a penalty in Scotland for the top two. Absolutely no doubt about it.

I get the feeling it would be a pen against Aberdeen too.

Ref got it right. I heard Owen Hargreaves say that "it's a big decision for such a young ref."

What? Eh? What's the ref's age got to do with it? 

Our esteemed club and its board have not got much right this season but with this statement they're 100% spot on. From a personal point of view I can no longer celebrate a goal for fear of it being ruled out as it was on Saturday. I suspect I'm not alone.

10 minutes ago, davierobb said:

Surely if technology had failed the VAR official should have asked the referee to look. How can the official over rule the infield decision on a guess?

Agree. The ref ordinarily doesn’t get involved in offsides once VAR poke their bugle in but on this occasion, if Hawkeye failed, they should have been put to the screen

37 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

It's a start... but what is AFC actually going to do about it? 

What do you expect them to do? Waste loads of money in a legal battle they won’t win? Take the ball and go home?

Maybe we should try and take it even further and risk a points deduction that will see us relegated.