The Jimmy Thelin Thread...

50 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Next season will be tough.

New manager, new squad in the main & a new method of playing to implement… probably when our budget will be 5th in the league? 
Hearts will have guaranteed £5m from Europe & Hibs will have the new investment from Bill Foley. 
Both their budgets will be higher than ours possibly, although I’m sure DC will have hopefully promised JT a fair budget to make necessary changes. 

We will have to have patience, and be prepared for a few bumps in the road I’d think. 

Well said

But please clarify……At what stage will unwavering support and patience become happy-clapping and the patient fans becoming “the problem” , getting the team/club they deserve etc ?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, DeltaRay1903 said:

Why don't you just clear off and support whoever your local team is? 

Are we Real Madrid or Barcelona, no of course not but we're not based in Spain. We're based in Scotland and in Scottish terms we most certainly are a massive club. It's all relative. 

So kindly take your negativity and shove it right up your baldy vulva. 

What is your criteria for deciding who is and is not, a "massive club"? And if we are indeed a "massive club", what does that make Celtic and/or Rangers, who are both far bigger clubs than us? Are they colossal clubs? Perhaps mammoth clubs? 

39 minutes ago, Hairdrier said:

Would have thought that there isn't a rush (there isn't) and that he wants to leave Elfsborg in a good state which is also a good sign. A big opportunity for the club and for Thelin - look at it as a long term project.

We need him involved this season to properly see the problems and start planning for the close season.

Great that this is being handled in a very thoughtful way, loyalty, managed transition etc etc but there’s a limit to how far that should go surely.

Most fans aren't stupid, as long as we can see a structure and plan on the pitch  time will be given to allow JT to get the correct players in to really take us forward.

There no doubt will be teething problems but as I said above we should all be able to see a difference in our game.

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, Bomber said:

Most fans aren't stupid, as long as we can see a structure and plan on the pitch  time will be given to allow JT to get the correct players in to really take us forward.

There no doubt will be teething problems but as I said above we should all be able to see a difference in our game.

Nah, most fans are fucking stupid.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3
6 minutes ago, Bomber said:

Most fans aren't stupid

You must be new here.

Fans will be going fucking mental in no time.

Win/lose/draw theres a large portion of fans who will always look for the negative and get hysterical over very little. 

These fans will give new players and managers very little, if any time. 

Welcome to afc chat. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Watching the Alan Burrows interview just now, regarding the Thelin appointment. We knew that he was interviewed last year, when Robson ended up horrendously being appointed but getting the impression that Thelin was the preferred candidate then too, but Elfsborg dug their heels in, as they continued to do so this year.

Or am in being naive, and the FMB picked Robson over him?

3 year contract

2 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

Watching the Alan Burrows interview just now, regarding the Thelin appointment. We knew that he was interviewed last year, when Robson ended up horrendously being appointed but getting the impression the Thelin was the preferred candidate then too, but Elfsborg dug their heels in, as they continued to do so this year.

Or am in being naive, and the FMB picked Robson over him?

3 year contract

Robson was picked over him.

10 minutes ago, Hairdrier said:

Was it Robson's clever interview technique that got him the job?

It was probably winning 7 games in a row having been rubbish all season.

Let's not pretend that we all saw it for the mistake it obviously was.* 

*yes yes, hiya minijc, you knew from the start.

I work in Sweden from time to time so asked some colleagues about this appointment. The general consensus is this is a good move for Aberdeen and Thelin. 

I have seen them a few times under Thelin - certainly no expert - and they were good to watch if only from an intensity point of view. 

I have seen the need for patience mentioned elsewhere including the reference in the club statement and this is going to key. This is an appointment with the next few seasons in mind. He may fail regardless but he will need the time to be judged fairly. 

Was curious bout his style. Looked up a couple of sites.

Read or ignore.

Despite reference to 433, his teams play a pressing 4231 more than not. High energy and high pressing up the park. Forward players not expected to track back and instead to stay in high positions. Width the main attack focus. Wing play is essential.

Ball playing CHs important and play starts from the back with a passing game. Not long ball.

He has a definitive style but you'll know if you've the players to accommodate. Elfsborg squad valued 18.2m vs Aberdeen at 13.6m so their players aren't hugely out of Aberdeen's budget to target one or two of the squad.

All joking aside I want a strong competitive league outside the Glasgow pair. And Hibs.

5 minutes ago, Wester Hailes Skins said:

Read or ignore.

Despite reference to 433, his teams play a pressing 4231 more than not. High energy and high pressing up the park. Forward players not expected to track back and instead to stay in high positions. Width the main attack focus. Wing play is essential.

Ball playing CHs important and play starts from the back with a passing game. Not long ball.

He has a definitive style but you'll know if you've the players to accommodate. Elfsborg squad valued 18.2m vs Aberdeen at 13.6m so their players aren't hugely out of Aberdeen's budget to target one or two of the squad.

All joking aside I want a strong competitive league outside the Glasgow pair. And Hibs.

Ignored.

• Haha 1
13 minutes ago, Ramandu said:

It was probably winning 7 games in a row having been rubbish all season.

Let's not pretend that we all saw it for the mistake it obviously was.* 

*yes yes, hiya minijc, you knew from the start.

Check back 12 months son, the evidence is there in terms of who was for Robson’s appointment and who wasn’t.

• Upvote 2
7 minutes ago, Wester Hailes Skins said:

Read or ignore.

Where was the joke? Apart from the running gag of you posting on here.

22 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Beggars fucking belief. 

"Why should we give you the job full time, Barry."

*howk howk pick pick blank stare*

"I think that should be more than satisfactory. Congratulations" *extends hand*

*Blank stare*

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Reed or deed said:

Welcome yimmy. We are all really glad to see a man of your calibre appointed as our manager.

Now go out and show us what you can do and put your stamp on the job.

First things first, get Anthony Stewart reinstated as captain and back in the matchday squad.

Are you serious? 

24 minutes ago, ERNIE said:

Interesting Burrows saying the manager always has the final say on transfers at Aberdeen...

We've known this was the case the entire time.

Hence Goodwin getting slaughtered for agreeing to sign Morris, Richardson and Stewart.

Manager still sets the criteria then gets the final say.

48 minutes ago, minijc said:

Robson was picked over him.

It's hardly a mystery. Robson performed a miracle to get us third. Everybody was singing his name at the end of the season. No way the Board could appoint anyone else. The nutters on here would have gone into meltdown at the first setback under any new manager. "Ye got rid o somebody jist te bring in a foreigner. Typical Cormack tryin te be too funcy!

3 minutes ago, RedRevolution said:

It's hardly a mystery. Robson performed a miracle to get us third. Everybody was singing his name at the end of the season. No way the Board could appoint anyone else. The nutters on here would have gone into meltdown at the first setback under any new manager. "Ye got rid o somebody jist te bring in a foreigner. Typical Cormack tryin te be too funcy!

He never performed a miracle, that is a load of shit, the board never gave him the full time job at the end of the season, they were indecisive and changed their minds after initially saying he'd be interim until the end of the season.

Most of the nutters on here could see the Robson was a disaster waiting to happen, the club should always being hiring the best man available at the time, to this point they have constantly failed in doing so.

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

New manager, new squad in the main & a new method of playing to implement… probably when our budget will be 5th in the league? 
Hearts will have guaranteed £5m from Europe & Hibs will have the new investment from Bill Foley. 
Both their budgets will be higher than ours possibly, although I’m sure DC will have hopefully promised JT a fair budget to make necessary changes. 

It’s not going to be anywhere near an instant fix & the two Edinburgh clubs will have sizeable budgets for the reasons you mention, but I don’t think Dave has got any any but to dip his hands into his own pockets to help Thelin get off to a good start with the overhaul. It’s a mess of Cormack’s creation so he needs to make the funds available to help Thelin begin to fix it. 

Transfer fee for Miovski will help. Not sure it’s even worth our while selling Duk in the summer, although I’m sure he’ll be desperate to go at the first opportunity.