The Jimmy Thelin Thread...

13 minutes ago, Rubin said:

we'll still have the same squad

& that's the problem

He won't though. About 8 first team regulars out of contract or expected to be sold.

He'll have the opportunity to bring in the guts of a new team from the beginning.

Here's hoping we get the recruitment right this time round 🤞

1 hour ago, DelMonte said:

I’m all for giving time but there’s got to be progress. If by March next season there isn’t any clear style of play he should be treated like the rest surely? 

I think we'll get the gist of what he wants fairly quickly but it doesn't mean we'll automatically start winning. We'll get a few new faces in the summer but he'll also be left to try to get a tune out of the perennial failures we can't get rid of or from those who manage to convince him they deserve a chance in his early days before resorting to normality. The January window doesn't usually bring too much so no I don't believe he should be judged by March. I don't think he'll get the blame either if it does go wrong. I rather see the fan base taking any further failure as a signal to let Cormack know that he is the problem.

• Upvote 3
50 minutes ago, DelMonte said:

Burrows interview is pretty good on RedTV.

He’s been wrongly tarred with the same brush as Cormack. Hopefully Burrows gets a bit more power and more of a voice as he is miles more switched on than Dave.

Great interview.  Here it is for those that haven't watched it: https://redtv.afc.co.uk/video/8191

Very honest and open about the pursuit of Jimmy, including interviewing him in March last year.  It did leave me very confused about why we didn't go for him then but went for Robson instead.  If anyone ITK knows what the fuck Robson did to convince the board to hire him over Thelin then I'd be very interested to know what the fuck happened there.

I like Burrows, comes across a decent man with integrity.  Also willing to take some jibes from Mal about the way he dresses and making jokes about the "AI boardroom" they were in for the previous interview.

• Upvote 1

Just so pleased its not Lennon, John Hughes or Steve Robinson or the normal Scottish dross types we normally go out of are way to employ on mega bucks with no return 

I think we are all resigned for him to take his time to build his own team and as long as we play decent football challenge the weegies teams and make progress thats fine for the first season 

Going to be really interesting to see who he brings in and who he punts out.

Half the squad will be shitting themselves now or looking for new opportunities because they wont be good enough for him 

Glass, Goodwin and Robson where disastrous appointments and collectively killed off attractive football at are club

Never ever to go there there again  

Good luck Jimmy 

9 minutes ago, Russell said:

Cracking interviews. Little wary of Thelin's repeated mentioning of mixing of old and new staff, hopefully he's referring to just Leven.

He's not going to turf out people before he's here; but I imagine Leven is probably safe given he's demonstrated getting us points out of nowhere. Where Samson sits... who knows. Just got to wait and see.

But yeah enjoyable interviews; that Thelin one in particular, getting a wee insight to his approach. There was nary a nose rub, ear howk, 'ye know', 'are you with me' or anything else untoward in it. 

7 hours ago, Tord31 said:

I'm confused about the amount of folk saying he needs time?

Are you meaning time to win the league, finish second or win a cup? That's fine.

Time to be respectable? No, thats not given. We finished 5 pts off top six in an utterly horrendous season. It should be a given that he can improve on this season instantly.

Surely McInnes ……sorry …..Daaraak. ….is the benchmark.

So in his first full season nothing less than qualifying for Europe through the league, winning one of the cups, beating at least one of the ugly sisters in a cup and generally getting the team playing decent football using , mainly,  the players he inherited bolstered by a few astute signings (and the odd carthorse).

• Upvote 1
  • Dildo 2
8 hours ago, DelMonte said:

Well he should do better. If there is actually visibly nothing changed then surely he doesn’t just get a free pass? 

I hope he does.  But if he doesn’t, I hope he gets more time. As he’s got a track record at least, unlike the others. 

it’s got me thinking, how mental is the fact we kept Skovdahl after he finished bottom of the league in his first season?? Then I’m sure we were 7th the season after. On he stayed, loved by the fans! Amazing the positivity not having a toxic message board to depress yourself on every day makes 😂

• Upvote 1

It's good to read some positivity for a change.

He' starting from a low base which is both an advantage and disadvantage for him. Getting top 6 next year would be progress, no? He's got a tough job ahead, but this time we've got a boy with a track record. It's great...he might even get us back into Europe next season... that would lay down a marker!

Very interested to see what team takes the pitch for the first league game of 24/25.

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, RabidGiraffe said:

Very honest and open about the pursuit of Jimmy, including interviewing him in March last year.  It did leave me very confused about why we didn't go for him then but went for Robson instead.  If anyone ITK knows what the fuck Robson did to convince the board to hire him over Thelin then I'd be very interested to know what the fuck happened there

Burrows is clearly trying to infer that the club wanted Jimmy this time last year but Elfsborg played hardball (as they did this year too, but Dave pushed harder - more dosh chucked, in reality)

But we all can guess that the club shat it when Robson went on that great run, and mistakenly thought the fans would revolt if he wasn’t given the gig

• Dildo 1

We have finally got a good manager under Cormack (not including mcinnes), now is the time to see if we have what it takes to put a team together to help him be a success. Having a manager of good stature is going to really help in us attracting players too. Really excited about next season! Gunn and Burrows deserve huge credit for getting this over the line. 

8 hours ago, RabidGiraffe said:

Great interview.  Here it is for those that haven't watched it: https://redtv.afc.co.uk/video/8191

Very honest and open about the pursuit of Jimmy, including interviewing him in March last year.  It did leave me very confused about why we didn't go for him then but went for Robson instead.  If anyone ITK knows what the fuck Robson did to convince the board to hire him over Thelin then I'd be very interested to know what the fuck happened there.

I like Burrows, comes across a decent man with integrity.  Also willing to take some jibes from Mal about the way he dresses and making jokes about the "AI boardroom" they were in for the previous interview.

If memory serves me right Robson took us to third in the league and European group stage football .  It is amusing how some people seem to forget their posts from this time last season are still there for all to see. There were a few who were cautious about appointing  Robson  full time but certainly not the numbers who now claim they cannot understand why he was ever appointed!!😂😂

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, G man said:

If memory serves me right Robson took us to third in the league and European group stage football .  It is amusing how some people seem to forget their posts from this time last season are still there for all to see. There were a few who were cautious about appointing  Robson  full time but certainly not the numbers who now claim they cannot understand why he was ever appointed!!😂😂

Appointing that fuckwit over Thelin last year was absolutely laughable. 

2 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Appointing that fuckwit over Thelin last year was absolutely laughable. 

Sad that people forget the fact he achieved 3rd place and European group stage football. Goodwin who left us after the most disastrous run of results in our history seems to get no stick for his spell in charge but Robson continues to get crucified . Very sad.

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

I hope he does.  But if he doesn’t, I hope he gets more time. As he’s got a track record at least, unlike the others. 

it’s got me thinking, how mental is the fact we kept Skovdahl after he finished bottom of the league in his first season?? Then I’m sure we were 7th the season after. On he stayed, loved by the fans! Amazing the positivity not having a toxic message board to depress yourself on every day makes 😂

Thelin needs at least three transfer windows to hopefully put us on a sound footing. I hope he is given the time .