The Jimmy Thelin Thread...

1 minute ago, G man said:

Sad that people forget the fact he achieved 3rd place and European group stage football. Goodwin who left us after the most disastrous run of results in our history seems to get no stick for his spell in charge but Robson continues to get crucified . Very sad.

Yes he does. 

Robson is also a fucking clown who deserves no respect for his management of the club. Mainly due to his arrogant attitude.

Debating who was worse and who deserves more criticism is laughable. Both were terrible managers of the club. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

I hope he does.  But if he doesn’t, I hope he gets more time. As he’s got a track record at least, unlike the others. 

it’s got me thinking, how mental is the fact we kept Skovdahl after he finished bottom of the league in his first season?? Then I’m sure we were 7th the season after. On he stayed, loved by the fans! Amazing the positivity not having a toxic message board to depress yourself on every day makes 😂

We must’ve been able to see the structure and style of football Ebbe was trying to get the team to play …….and some recognisable patterns of play.   Apparently that seems to be important now.

Read a piece in paper comparing thelin t9 Sven.... thought this was a pretty interesting bit of righting for a newspaper!

"It’s all very reminiscent of the way the young Eriksson was regarded back in the early 80s before he set off on the journey which would lead him to the England and Manchester City jobs, with the occasional stop off in Ulrika."

It seems like we really have found someone with potential just hope he is the real deal!

23 minutes ago, redone said:

We must’ve been able to see the structure and style of football Ebbe was trying to get the team to play …….and some recognisable patterns of play.   Apparently that seems to be important now.

Aye basically we just loved his corner kick routine so much we didn’t care about the rest

12 minutes ago, ERNIE said:

Let's hope Jimmy is our first manager since Fergie and Brown not to be sacked.Hopefully if he keeps us in at least the top 4 and even wins a cup that won't be the case this time.

Ebbe wasn’t sacked either

infact thousands of Aberdeen fans took to tannadice to chant ebbe must stay during a 2002 1-1 draw when we were about 9th

the love for ebbe is amusing me today

Great guy 

18 hours ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

From Board Statement:

“He has a reputation in Sweden as a team builder; someone who will methodically construct a winning side over time. From our point of view, we want this appointment to anchor the Club for years to come, and to work with Jimmy and his coaching staff to create something special at Aberdeen. That will take time, we understand that.

Have they finalised realised that the quick fire sacking are not the way? 

It’s a thinly veiled plea to the supporters to get off his back if we are taking time to get results etc. Likely been a lot of money spent on him for a long term project so need the toxic element of our support to buy into it.

He seems to have a record of coming into clubs and turning things around quite quickly doesn't he?

Obviously he should be given time and money to build his squad and style, but if his previous record is anything to go by, we should see improvements pretty quickly anyway.... fingers crossed.

50 minutes ago, DelMonte said:

Yes he does. 

Robson is also a fucking clown who deserves no respect for his management of the club. Mainly due to his arrogant attitude.

Debating who was worse and who deserves more criticism is laughable. Both were terrible managers of the club. 

Qualifying for Europe and reaching a cup final is the mark of a terrible manager now?

What was it JC said about unrealistic expectations again?

• Dildo 1
5 minutes ago, Big Hat Logan said:

It’s a thinly veiled plea to the supporters to get off his back if we are taking time to get results etc. Likely been a lot of money spent on him for a long term project so need the toxic element of our support to buy into it.

Correct.Another next manager thread should be banned for say 3 years.

1 minute ago, robbojunior said:

He seems to have a record of coming into clubs and turning things around quite quickly doesn't he?

Obviously he should be given time and money to build his squad and style, but if his previous record is anything to go by, we should see improvements pretty quickly anyway.... fingers crossed.

There has to be patience. Even if it starts badly we all need to get behind him. The client media will be desperate to humiliate him every week too so have to rise above it.

2 minutes ago, robbojunior said:

Define 'pretty quickly'. If you're talking the next 12-18 months that would be fair

1 minute ago, Big Hat Logan said:

There has to be patience. Even if it starts badly we all need to get behind him. The client media will be desperate to humiliate him every week too so have to rise above it.

Agree completely - I'm just saying i'm fairly hopeful we'll see a big improvement within the first 6 months.

Just now, alscotoz said:

Define 'pretty quickly'. If you're talking the next 12-18 months that would be fair

I'm happy to give him plenty time before he should be under any sort of pressure, but he seems to have managed to improve all his previous teams much quicker than 12 months into the job so I'm hopeful we will be the same.

1 hour ago, G man said:

Sad that people forget the fact he achieved 3rd place and European group stage football. Goodwin who left us after the most disastrous run of results in our history seems to get no stick for his spell in charge but Robson continues to get crucified . Very sad.

More interesting to me is that it was done with the bulk of this squad and people seem to think a entire rebuild should happen 

1 hour ago, G man said:

You think Goodwin got no stick from the support? Old as I might be getting, I still remember differently. Robson did get us 3rd, can't take that away but I still remember feeling uneasy that we never looked convincing in any of those games. It was generally an odd moment of class from Clarkson or Duk being on fire, the rest of it wasn't good (including his interviews where he outed himself as a simpleton). Glass, Goodwin and Robson all got it in the neck for the same reason - they weren't up to the job.

• Upvote 2

Hopefully this will be a turning point for the club under Cormack's reign. I really hope Thelin does the business and the club really start to build a foundation and structure that bring sustained success.

Thelin's profile and appointment looks like the right decision. I don't think there is another candidate that I would argue should have been appointed. There was certainly no outstanding candidates.

Is anyone against this appointment on the forum? haven't seen much discontent with the appointment.

1 hour ago, Big Hat Logan said:

That was completely justified from the support. Having to put up with joke  appointments caused that. Now we have a manager that has the credentials the Mcinnes replacement should have had will definitely gain more patience from the fans.

I do however think that people suggesting there won’t be improvements off the bat are overestimating the quality of our league. Even if the season isn’t massively successful I’d still expect us to finish in top 6 even with an average transfer window. If I’m completely honest if the recruitment is right I see no reason why we can’t make a run for 3rd in his first season. We’ve seen teams turn their fortunes around pretty quickly in our league. Either way I’m fully behind Jimmy. The club are fully commited for the long term and so am I as a fan! COYR

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, robbojunior said:

Was listening to the ABZ podcast and Swedish correspondent said he finished 12th in his first season and some fans were being in banners demanding for him to be sacked! Hope he gets some time here before folk start turning on him (wishful thinking!)…need to get out of this cycle of sacking managers after Christmas. 

Appreciate that we also need to see some semblance of a plan or shoots of progress!

I'm genuinely excited about his appointment. 

Think he'll need a couple of seasons to turn us around and as long as we're not sitting in the bottom 3 half way through next season then I'm willing to give him the time needed to improve the squad and the mess behind the scenes.

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, zeroisgod76 said:

Have we ever had a managerial appointment that's been met with such overwhelming positivity? Loving it!!

It seems (finally, and after a painful few years) Cormack has realised you can’t do it on the cheap, or appoint your pals, if you want to have some degree of success-whatever that is for Aberdeen.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, G man said:

If memory serves me right Robson took us to third in the league and European group stage football .  It is amusing how some people seem to forget their posts from this time last season are still there for all to see. There were a few who were cautious about appointing  Robson  full time but certainly not the numbers who now claim they cannot understand why he was ever appointed!!😂😂

Good, that means you can look back at my posts from the time and see I wanted an experienced manager and not Robson.

What I questioned in the post you quoted was why did Robson get the gig if Thelin was interviewed and the club were interested, not why did Robson get the gig.

Don't wilfully misinterpret other people's post to suit your agenda.

10 minutes ago, Sonoftherock said:

Was listening to the ABZ podcast and Swedish correspondent said he finished 12th in his first season and some fans were being in banners demanding for him to be sacked! Hope he gets some time here before folk start turning on him (wishful thinking!)…need to get out of this cycle of sacking managers after Christmas. 

Appreciate that we also need to see some semblance of a plan or shoots of progress!

Was looking at Klopps record at Liverpool to compare on giving someone time.

8th first season then 2 x 4ths before they finished 2nd, 1st then 3rd. 

2 hours ago, robbojunior said:

I thought his first season at Elfsborg was a bit of a disaster? 12th in a 16team league and their worst position for about a decade?

For all the goodwill kicking about it’s absolutely insane to think that if we are out of the LC early doors and losing to the likes of Killie and St J and Dundee regularly (again) that he, the players and the board won’t be getting absolute pelters (side note, what actually is a pelter?). 

IMO hitting the ground running a la Mcinnes’s start is essential. Maybe I’m wrong but normally after a 1-0 home loss to St Mirren a well reasoned argument about needing 3 transfer windows has your card marked as a homosexual and/or relative of Steven Gunn. 

19 minutes ago, elephantstone78 said:

I thought his first season at Elfsborg was a bit of a disaster? 12th in a 16team league and their worst position for about a decade?

For all the goodwill kicking about it’s absolutely insane to think that if we are out of the LC early doors and losing to the likes of Killie and St J and Dundee regularly (again) that he, the players and the board won’t be getting absolute pelters (side note, what actually is a pelter?). 

IMO hitting the ground running a la Mcinnes’s start is essential. Maybe I’m wrong but normally after a 1-0 home loss to St Mirren a well reasoned argument about needing 3 transfer windows has your card marked as a homosexual and/or relative of Steven Gunn. 

Shut up.

• Haha 1