The Jimmy Thelin Thread...

1 hour ago, RabidGiraffe said:

Good, that means you can look back at my posts from the time and see I wanted an experienced manager and not Robson.

What I questioned in the post you quoted was why did Robson get the gig if Thelin was interviewed and the club were interested, not why did Robson get the gig.

Don't wilfully misinterpret other people's post to suit your agenda.

I never mentioned anything about your posts.No agenda. 

Some kind of identity on the pitch.  Losing (or going back to smiffy's reign even winning) isnt enough.  Its when people leave thinking What the fuck have I just watched and then read a post match interview about attractive football, unlucky, just needed to take chances (reality 0 shots on goal).  Thats what winds most people up and from where groundswell disillusionment will follow.  

1 hour ago, elephantstone78 said:

I thought his first season at Elfsborg was a bit of a disaster? 12th in a 16team league and their worst position for about a decade?

For all the goodwill kicking about it’s absolutely insane to think that if we are out of the LC early doors and losing to the likes of Killie and St J and Dundee regularly (again) that he, the players and the board won’t be getting absolute pelters (side note, what actually is a pelter?). 

IMO hitting the ground running a la Mcinnes’s start is essential. Maybe I’m wrong but normally after a 1-0 home loss to St Mirren a well reasoned argument about needing 3 transfer windows has your card marked as a homosexual and/or relative of Steven Gunn. 

McInnes didn't have to overhaul his squad that much, Craig Brown built solid foundations. Really just had a Rooney and Logan shaped hole in our team. Half his signings his first season outside those two (and Michael Hector) were shite squad fillers.

By contrast, we need 2-3 windows of rebuilding hence why Jimmy needs time. We hopefully aren't binning half our squad, despite the melodramatics of some on here. Just end up with more Or Dadias and Rhys Williams going that route.

23 minutes ago, Belabedlam said:

McInnes didn't have to overhaul his squad that much, Craig Brown built solid foundations. Really just had a Rooney and Logan shaped hole in our team. Half his signings his first season outside those two (and Michael Hector) were shite squad fillers.

By contrast, we need 2-3 windows of rebuilding hence why Jimmy needs time. We hopefully aren't binning half our squad, despite the melodramatics of some on here. Just end up with more Or Dadias and Rhys Williams going that route.

At a minimum as a necessity we will likely need 2-3 wingers, a couple of central mids (assuming Barron leaves and we finally get a Ramadani DM replacement) a new keeper and a new CB to replace Gartenmann. That’s already up to 7 before we even try to improve weak positions like LB

• Upvote 2

My assessment is that for Yimmy to hit full throttle he needs all players able to play his gegenpress. we need geggy players but we've quite a few (most) nae-geggys, maybe some half-geggys. it will def take a while (3 windows) to get a full squad of geggys, at that point we can get the knives out.

10 minutes ago, Proud Dandy said:

At a minimum as a necessity we will likely need 2-3 wingers, a couple of central mids (assuming Barron leaves and we finally get a Ramadani DM replacement) a new keeper and a new CB to replace Gartenmann. That’s already up to 7 before we even try to improve weak positions like LB

That's very similar to my reckoning.  We'll need a new CF as well assuming Miovski will be sold, unless with him gone Sokler turns out to be the second coming of Bojan.

• Upvote 1

Interesting point in Burrows' RedTV that some of the senior figures thought Thelin's appointment wasn't going to happen at one point but Cormack wouldn't take no for an answer. 

The chairman has dealt with a lot of criticism for the disastrous appointments since McInnes left - and rightly so - but credit where it's due for getting this one over the line. 

Hopefully he now gives Thelin the time and resources to galvanise the club. 

40 minutes ago, Belabedlam said:

Hmm maybe. I’d say our weakness aside from those you listed was a bit of steel in midfield which he rectified with Robson and Flood. 

I hear this argument a lot that Brown had built a good team and Mcinnes benefited from it.
From this it can be inferred that either Brown was a hopeless manager as he couldn’t get them into the top 6 never mind a trophy or even a final. Or, Mcinnes did an amazing job turning around bottom 6 dwellers.

Anything less than top 5 next season should be judged a failure imo, especially when there will likely be no Europe to tire us out and test squad depth which won’t be the case for someone like Killie. As someone else mentioned it’s not like the spfl is filled with quality sides. 

• Upvote 1
32 minutes ago, eeps said:

My assessment is that for Yimmy to hit full throttle he needs all players able to play his gegenpress. we need geggy players but we've quite a few (most) nae-geggys, maybe some half-geggys. it will def take a while (3 windows) to get a full squad of geggys, at that point we can get the knives out.

Scottish fitba players are more Greggs than geggy, even the foreign imports we manage to entice here soon resort to Greggs

2 hours ago, elephantstone78 said:

I thought his first season at Elfsborg was a bit of a disaster? 12th in a 16team league and their worst position for about a decade?

For all the goodwill kicking about it’s absolutely insane to think that if we are out of the LC early doors and losing to the likes of Killie and St J and Dundee regularly (again) that he, the players and the board won’t be getting absolute pelters (side note, what actually is a pelter?). 

IMO hitting the ground running a la Mcinnes’s start is essential. Maybe I’m wrong but normally after a 1-0 home loss to St Mirren a well reasoned argument about needing 3 transfer windows has your card marked as a homosexual and/or relative of Steven Gunn. 

You're right actually - I thought I read he got them their best league position in years in his first season but looks like he did have a slow start.  Second season not fantastic either but 3rd season he almost won the league.

Our league really should be easier in terms of instant improvement - look at how Leven has steadied the ship just by being semi competent with what we have.  Lets see though I guess..

2 hours ago, elephantstone78 said:

You're right actually - I thought I read he got them their best league position in years in his first season but looks like he did have a slow start.  Second season not fantastic either but 3rd season he almost won the league.

Our league really should be easier in terms of instant improvement - look at how Leven has steadied the ship just by being semi competent with what we have.  Lets see though I guess..

3 hours ago, slippers said:

That was completely justified from the support. Having to put up with joke  appointments caused that. Now we have a manager that has the credentials the Mcinnes replacement should have had will definitely gain more patience from the fans.

I do however think that people suggesting there won’t be improvements off the bat are overestimating the quality of our league. Even if the season isn’t massively successful I’d still expect us to finish in top 6 even with an average transfer window. If I’m completely honest if the recruitment is right I see no reason why we can’t make a run for 3rd in his first season. We’ve seen teams turn their fortunes around pretty quickly in our league. Either way I’m fully behind Jimmy. The club are fully commited for the long term and so am I as a fan! COYR

There will be plenty teams with eyes on third place next season and you can’t really expect Thelin to come straight into a different league in a different country, make a couple of deals and challenge for third. We are going to be stuck with a lot of this squad I think and I don’t expect many of them will fit whatever ideology he has.

So long as we can see a clear vision, responsible and sensible decision making and football style then it doesn’t really matter where we finish next season IMO (obviously not getting heavily beat most weeks). He needs a few transfer windows and time with the squad to get things his way. 

2 hours ago, RabidGiraffe said:

You quoted me you retard.

for your benefit l have listed below what l said. Where do l quote you ?? Before insulting people at least get for facts right. Your last word may be relevant , but can l suggest more to yourself?

memory serves me right Robson took us to third in the league and European group stage football .  It is amusing how some people seem to forget their posts from this time last season are still there for all to see. There were a few who were cautious about appointing  Robson  full time but certainly not the numbers who now claim theycannot understand why he was ever appointed!!😂😂

• Dildo 2

Our home record this season is.P16 W4 D7 L5. 

Our away record this season is P17 W4 D4 L9

It shouldn't take much for a decent manager to improve on that dramatically, and it appears now that we finally have a decent manager. Turn 6 of those defeat into draws and 6 of those draws into wins and we'd be 18 points better off and comfortably top 6, not too far off 3rd.

Thelin will be given time to implement the changes that are needed, but its not beyond the realms of possibility that we can be 3rd or very close to it next season with a minimal upturn in fortunes / quality.

9 minutes ago, G man said:

for your benefit l have listed below what l said. Where do l quote you ?? Before insulting people at least get for facts right. Your last word may be relevant , but can l suggest more to yourself?

memory serves me right Robson took us to third in the league and European group stage football .  It is amusing how some people seem to forget their posts from this time last season are still there for all to see. There were a few who were cautious about appointing  Robson  full time but certainly not the numbers who now claim theycannot understand why he was ever appointed!!😂😂

You used the quote function to say that in reply to an earlier post of mine, and that's a fact, ergo you quoted me.

If you're not responding directly to me then don't quote me, it's not difficult.  Don't then pretend that you didn't.

2 minutes ago, RabidGiraffe said:

You used the quote function to say that in reply to an earlier post of mine, and that's a fact, ergo you quoted me.

If you're not responding directly to me then don't quote me, it's not difficult.  Don't then pretend that you didn't.

Wow - amazing. As l said twice already l did not mention you. I was responding to the topic .!!!! If you do not understand that, that is your issue not mine. Develop a better understanding and be less quick to insult others would help.

• Dildo 2
5 minutes ago, G man said:

Wow - amazing. As l said twice already l did not mention you. I was responding to the topic .!!!! If you do not understand that, that is your issue not mine. Develop a better understanding and be less quick to insult others would help.

You quoted me, which part of that don't you understand?  It's back on page 22 for all to see.

We're done, I'm not getting involved in a back-and-forth argument with someone in denial of the facts.