The Jimmy Thelin Thread...

1 hour ago, Simply Red said:

I dont hear it or see it.
Because the sportsound crew thought Warnock was a shit idea, which it was, that makes them anti-us? 
I think anyone who thinks the bbc hate us is deluded. They dont give a fuck about us. We’re not a threat in any way. Havent been for decades. 
When i meet fans of other teams around Scotland theres only ever a hope that AFC can get stronger to challenge the ugly sisters. Thats the same message from most on the bbc.

That part is bollocks.

Hearts and Hibs fans want us to be/enjoy us being shite as much as we enjoy them being shit.

Outside that the smaller clubs really dislike Aberdeen too.

Strange comment.

6 minutes ago, redone said:

Totally agree….That’s it’s it in a nutshell

The Dons are actually well represented among the pundits and hosts/ commentators…….notably Willie Miller , Liam MacLeod and Richard Gordon.  And Billy Dodds still clearly has some affection for us. Just cos they’re critical of the running of the club or the team’s performances doesn’t mean they’ve got an agenda against us.

Let's face it..there's been a lot to criticise. 

2 hours ago, Simply Red said:

When i meet fans of other teams around Scotland theres only ever a hope that AFC can get stronger to make the ugly sisters run in more interesting. Thats the same message from most on the bbc.

(My edit). Now I agree.

We’d be allowed temporary success for sure.  But were that to threaten to be divisive to the duopoly, allowing one to hoover CL money and not the other for instance, I think you’d see Kriss Boyd’s faces sour quicker than a Dens Park score draw.

• Downvote 1
21 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Not sure if posted previously but a bit of analysis on what Thelin's Elfsborg side do here: 

https://totalfootballanalysis.com/head-coach-analysis/jimmy-thelin-at-elfsborg-2023-tactical-analysis-tactics

The one thing that could be an issue is that I’ve read in a few places that he focuses on counter attacking when the opposition are high up the pitch.

At home, most teams we play will sit back deep. 
Teams in Scotland also don’t generally play a possession game out from the back.  
Goalie or central defender ploughs it long missing out midfield

But, I’ve also read that he’s good at adapting… so hopefully is & can.

We’re going to need patience 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
13 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

The one thing that could be an issue is that I’ve read in a few places that he focuses on counter attacking when the opposition are high up the pitch.

Teams in Scotland also don’t generally play a possession game out from the back.  

Yeah, it's been a big struggle at home against the smaller teams in the past 3 or 4 seasons. This would be pretty high up the list of things to address.

50 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

You’d like to think with Elfsborg doing well, teams going to them would be sitting in deep so hopefully he’s got a plan for breaking that down already.

1 hour ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Have you watched us this season?  Teams attack us

The PLZ clickbait snippet that was showed yesterday ~ the show was shown in its entirety at 10am today. If you’ve got an hour, watch it. Peter Martin gets shot down by the others for his parochial viewpoint of why didn’t the Dons appoint Lennon etc?

8 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

The PLZ clickbait snippet that was showed yesterday ~ the show was shown in its entirety at 10am today. If you’ve got an hour, watch it. Peter Martin gets shot down by the others for his parochial viewpoint of why didn’t the Dons appoint Lennon etc?

There's an article making similar arguments on Football Scotland today: https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/scottish-premiership/celtic-rangers-allowed-appoint-foreign-29015256

It reads like the author took most of their arguing points from this forum.

The media and pundits are absolutely terrified at the prospect of us getting a decent manager. I have no idea if Thelin will be the next best thing or not and they dont either, but with likes on Lennon, Robinson and the like, we would assured that we would play second fiddle to the cheeks... and thats what they want. 

The evidence has been clear that "knowing the Scottish game" actually means fuck all, other than to counter shite football with ... well, with shite football. Teams park the bus against Sevco and Celtic and they can still play good football and find ways to hammer them, so it should be no different for us. The fact is it comes down to a combination of a good manager and quality on the pitch, however Scottish managers at clubs like ours take in journeymen or again, players that know the game, and it usually results in eye bleeding football.

Thelin doesnt know much about the Scottish game and that for me is a blessing in disguise. Like I said, I dont know if he will be ace or not, but the fact the cunts in the media are all riled up about it, tells me its the right appointment. 

• Upvote 1
  • Dildo 1
11 minutes ago, Footballs coming Rome said:

Appointed from within Scotland. 
The article is exactly what we are all thinking. 

"What's worse is that the Dons' last three failed permanent managers have been Scottish."

Don't disagree though that its a good article.

2 hours ago, sooth_stander said:

In fact you only need 10 minutes spare, since 50 minutes is dedicated to Celtic and Sevco with a bit of Scotland thrown in. 

But mostly Celtic and Sevco. 

4 minutes ago, Helmet said:

So when does the new manager join Elfsborg?

When are there fixtures the next few weeks?

Still hoping if Elfsborg have their new guy in place then Jimmy can come to us in a few weeks.

So what is an Elf? 

• Dildo 1

The latest edition of the ABZ podcast is about Jimmy Thelin.  Most interesting bit is the second half when they're talking to an Elfsborg fan about his time at the club.

Patience seems to be the watchword.  His first season was disappointing but he was able to identify the issues and make the required changes and they've been on an upward trajectory since.  The advice was to stick with him even if it's not going well and given time he'll get it right.

They've got quite a mixture of nationalities at the club and English is the language in the dressing room.  Able handle players from a variety of cultures and have them mix well together.  Expect him to be heavily involved in transfer decisions and apparently has a high success rate in recruitment (something we certainly need to improve on)

When asked if it was a surprise he'd moved to Aberdeen he didn't think so.  Apparently there were three other clubs sniffing around - Sunderland, Swansea, and Westerlo in Belgium.

Worth a listen if you have the time.

1 hour ago, Ke1t said:

In fact you only need 10 minutes spare, since 50 minutes is dedicated to Celtic and Sevco with a bit of Scotland thrown in. 

Asking why we wouldn’t go for Malky MacKay or Lennon then saying there would be a concern if fans stopped going if Thelin gets off to a bad start.

They live in some mad bubble 

2 hours ago, Ke1t said:

Not listening to it. 

It’s tattie howkin TV with that bitter wee cunt Peter MaGuire hosting it.

A professional Tim, from Carfin in Lanarkshire. 

2 hours ago, Ke1t said:

Why are they saying we went to a marketing company to appoint the manager? 😂 Absolute buffoonery here.