Ford Ranger

Thinking of changing the car and I have narrowed it down to a couple of options - another Skoda Superb, or a Mercedes C Class (both as estates). But I have the Ford Ranger as a wildcard 3rd option.

Its unfortunate name apart, does anyone own(ed) a Ranger, any advice or tips?

For the age I am look at (up to 3 or 4 yr old), the Ranger is (surprisingly) the most expensive and also with the highest mileage.  Any comments on their reliability?  Demanding maintenance schedule?

The mpg is poorer than im used to, but I don't do high miles any more (prev about 20k pa, now maybe 1/4 of that). 

My Vectra got 50 mpg, the outgoing Superb 40 mpg, but the Ranger is stated as 30 mpg.

Appreciate any advice from owners, or other pick up owners.

I remember Spamx3 saying he liked his L200, but the rear would slide about if unladen, so he had to get Don Fonte to lie in the load bed to get any grip (though this solution fucked the rear springs).

It might be worth buying the Ranger to annoy the likes of Patrick Harvie, I could drive around with my poor mpg carrying a load of burning tires 😃

Any thoughts appreciated!  👍

11 minutes ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

Thinking of changing the car and I have narrowed it down to a couple of options - another Skoda Superb, or a Mercedes C Class (both as estates). But I have the Ford Ranger as a wildcard 3rd option.

For the age I am look at (up to 3 or 4 yr old), the Ranger is (surprisingly) the most expensive and also with the highest mileage.  Any comments on their reliability?  Demanding maintenance schedule?

The mpg is poorer than im used to, but I don't do high miles any more (prev about 20k pa, now maybe 1/4 of that). 

My Vectra got 50 mpg, the outgoing Superb 40 mpg, but the Ranger is stated as 30 mpg.

I remember Spamx3 saying he liked his L200, but the rear would slide about if unladen, so he had to get Don Fonte to lie in the load bed to get any grip (though this solution fucked the rear springs).

It might be worth buying the Ranger to annoy the likes of Patrick Harvie, I could drive around with my poor mpg carrying a load of burning tires 😃

You’ll nae get 30mpg out of a ford ranger. Try 20/22. 

I run a pick up and 30mpg is pie in the fucking sky.

If you go off road get a 4x4 if you don’t, don’t see the point. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

What a shambles of a bloke you are. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Dildo 7
1 hour ago, manboobs109 said:

Do you need a pick up? If not then it is just a small penis thing owning one.

(i) Define "need"?  (ii) How is it?

Ive always fancied a bit of green-laning (in England of course, the miserable puritan Scots are against such) and a bit of adventure, driving through the pyrenees, alps kola peninsula etc.

Put a roof top tent on it, the worlds your oyster!

Edit - its not so much that I need it on a typical day, but rather it opens up new possibilities.

1 hour ago, Red Clive 1995 said:

You’ll nae get 30mpg out of a ford ranger. Try 20/22. 

I run a pick up and 30mpg is pie in the fucking sky.

If you go off road get a 4x4 if you don’t, don’t see the point. 

Good info thanks.  I thought the 30 mpg was likely optimistic.  Maybe get it driving on a frictionless surface, in a vacuum.

What pick-up do you have and are you usually carrying loads?

I saw the Ssangyong Musso Saracen got good reviews, im always interested in obscure / fringe manufacturers in search of a good deal!

Edit - I must say, 20 mpg is certainly sobering information which has cooled my interest, that almost makes public transport attractive!

If you want to annoy the woofters then look no further than the Ford F250 mega raptor.

Camo wrap, Dixie Rebel Flag on the roof I think this is where you want to be.

It's certainly not a Ssanagyong whatever the fuck that is. The Megaraptor probably orders them for a starter at the Chinkie.

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, cheesepipes said:

If you want to annoy the woofters then look no further than the Ford F250 mega raptor.

Camo wrap, Dixie Rebel Flag on the roof I think this is where you want to be.

It's certainly not a Ssanagyong whatever the fuck that is. The Megaraptor probably orders them for a starter at the Chinkie.

The Ssangyong is more likely to be working in the "chinese hot food to take away" establishment (think they are korean)

And I have just learned that few months ago, they changed the name from Ssangyong to KGM.

4 hours ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

It's a big no from me purely because there is the opportunity to put as S at the end by a prankster.

Likewise I wouldn't buy an Iveco.

2ltjchi557ia1.jpg

• Haha 5