Great Albums without 'fillers'

There's thousands of them (at least) with fillers. Some bands are/were contractually obliged to deliver X songs/padding per album. Some bands were so strong they could dictate where the cut-off was.

I think sometimes it's obvious which albums contain material which is going through the motions/taking the piss. Some bands are serial offenders...but I guess it's all objective.

This is about albums that you think are listenable all the way through (you wouldn't skip songs), which the band are right into... and there's plenty of them too. 

My first example is Speaking in Tongues by Talking Heads. Magical.

• Upvote 1

Good topic. I'm reminded of the old journalistic trope of 'CD bloat' that became a thing in the early 90's, as that format (capacity 79-80 mins) replaced vinyl and cassettes as the dominant medium. Consequently, we saw albums go from the 35-45 min mark, to 50, 60 or even 70+ mins, rarely with justification.

A good case in point was Guns N Roses and when they followed up their all-time classic debut with the Use Your Illusion double set, both clocking in around 75 mins each. Some say a single disc would have been a rival for Appetite For Destruction, some say they were an ambitious, classic example of a band spreading their creative wings. I am in between; I heard enough great material for two albums, but would have cut them right down from 16/14 songs, to 12/10 respectively.

There are of course many other examples...

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, YorkDon said:

Songs from the Big Chair

Revolver

What’s Going On

I Should Coco 

The Bends

Yellow Submarine? No way you listen to that?

edit to add:on second thoughts, its probably the young birds favourite Beatles song. Am I right?

In the R n R world.

Pantera. Vulgar Display of Power

Alice in Chains. Facelift

Machine Head. Burn my Eyes

Faith No More. The Real Thing

A real early 90s vibe when fun was had and a complementary pat on a ladies bottom didn't result in lengthy legal proceedings.

Some classics mentioned above 

few others that are good C2C - 

strokes - is this it 

RH - In Rainbows

I’d argue The Marshall Mathers Lp if the ‘skits’ don’t count as songs 

System of a down - toxcicity

stones - sticky fingers

Bowie - station to station 

DYLAN - BLOOD ON THE TRACKS. (Rosemary and the Jack of hearts is good…eventually)

40 minutes ago, cheesepipes said:

In the R n R world.

Pantera. Vulgar Display of Power

Machine Head. Burn my Eyes

A real early 90s vibe when fun was had and a complementary pat on a ladies bottom didn't result in lengthy legal proceedings.

Which 90’s year had the best albumz? 

Every year has about 20 classic albums. Then 2000 happened and it all went tits up 

(maybe worth a thread on its own.

• Upvote 1
19 minutes ago, Poodler said:

Which 90’s year had the best albumz? 

Every year has about 20 classic albums. Then 2000 happened and it all went tits up 

(maybe worth a thread on its own.

90 to 94 was just dirty classic after dirty classic.

2 hours ago, Simply Red said:

Yellow Submarine? No way you listen to that?

edit to add:on second thoughts, its probably the young birds favourite Beatles song. Am I right?

Granted it’s not a classic, but it’s less than 3 mins long, so I just let it play.

Young bird doesn’t mind the Beatles.Got a Paul McCartney/Wings track as one of our upcoming wedding songs 

3 hours ago, cheesepipes said:

In the R n R world.

Id add ‘Dirt’ and ‘Angel Dust’ to that pair as well.

Album - Public Image Limited

Floodland - Sisters of Mercy

Flaunt It - Sigue Sigue Sputnik

Strangeways Here We Come - The Smiths

It's Great When You're Straight - Black Grape

Pills n Thrills - Happy Mondays