Hartley to Retire.

Seen an interview with Willei Miller in The S*n today and he says

"It will be Pauls shout but I really hope he stays on because hes been great on and off the field.....Paul's a senior player, he knows his body. If he's up for it next season I'd be happy for him to be captain again" :dontknow:

First Ive heard that there was a possibility of PH packing in seeing as hes got another year of his contract left

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we should make him some sort of player/coach, it's clear he doesn't have the legs anymore, but he could fill in when required, off the field, I think he would have a lot to offer with his professional attitude and winning mentality.

I'm baffled that theres a chance he could leave given his contract :dontknow:

He's maybe assessed his performance over the season and is honest enough to maybe admit that after a bright start it's not been good enough.

He's been unlucky with injuries, but he's breathing out of his arse most games.

He's undoubtably good in the dressing room, but for next season I'd be looking for him to take a back seat and either go into coaching or retire.

Use his considerable wage on trying to encourage Milsom & Smith to stay on or get others in.

Interview with Willie in the Sun.

Interview

Change a few words and could be same interview as last season.

Interesting that budget staying same and that Brown has already told the club who he wants to keep. Since Aluko and Langfield been in papers saying they have had no offer or talks with club then looking very much like they wont be here next season.

I know for a fact that Mr Brown and Hartley both know Paul's legs are giving up and its only a matter of time - clearly its being "talked about" within the club.

I tend to agree, I can't see what he would contribute in a playing sense next year. Perhaps he can assist with coaching and dressing room matters, and be used when injuries arise?

From today's P & J with regards to comings and goings.

No mention of Hartley, and I've seen no mention in any papers other than about his injury.

Brown has began preparations for next season, but he has reminded his squad there is still work to be done in this campaign. He has moved quickly to end uncertainty in the squad after the cup defeat.

Brown has 11 players who are either out of contract or coming to the end of loan deals.

New terms have been offered to attackers Sone Aluko and Chris Maguire, as well as midfielder Rob Milsom.

Defender Zander Diamond, goalkeeper Jamie Langfield, midfielder Derek Young and full back David McNamee have yet to be offered terms, but they are in the pipeline.

Aluko and Maguire

Smells like bullshit. P&J seem to be indicating that Brown is offering 9/11 out of contract a new deal whereas Brown quotes seem to indicate a mass clearout.

In fact the P&J sister paper had Aluko interview just yesterday saying he had no offer from club but hoped to open talks soon.

Edit: In fact later in article Brown says just a couple been made offers!!

Smells like bullshit. P&J seem to be indicating that Brown is offering 9/11 out of contract a new deal whereas Brown quotes seem to indicate a mass clearout.

In fact the P&J sister paper had Aluko interview just yesterday saying he had no offer from club but hoped to open talks soon.

Edit: In fact later in article Brown says just a couple been made offers!!

I know.

You would hope that it would be possible to get straight reporting about what's going on at our club.

I understand players have to be informed 1st if they're surplus to requirements. But it would be good to cut through the sh*te and get straight answers.

Best to avoid reading the newspapers sport section until there is:

A picture of a player in the cloakroom

The headline "<player> has signed for <lowly English team>" and it's 100% confirmed

Or, which we are all dreading really, "<under achiever> has signed a new 1/2/3 year contract"

Not going to bother reading into any of the rumours and speculation that the EE and PJ spin during pre-season! Think i'll stick to the AFC website and on here for my news! Although there is plenty of spin and speculation going on in here pre-season as well!

He comes across to me as a hugely thick arsehole with an attitude problem. He's taken enough wages from us for zero return. Get him to f**k. I don't want him anywhere near our youngsters. Who can possibly advocate looking up to a weegie tink like him?

Have to agree, if his playing career is over, and he was a good player, then it's time for him to go back to his spiritual home i.e. wherever the f**k it is in the moral abyss that is the central belt that he hails from.

Speaking through his nose, in a whine befitting of a slapped child, is not something to inspire the youngsters, more likely make them want to headbutt him, a la Leitch.

while i agree - and for the record, instigated - the fact that he was a spent force when he came here, your attitude is appalling.

the guys been, lets be honest, an expensive flop and its maybe best he leaves

hes not "our" hero, he's hearts', lets be honest again.

we were just so desperate for some professionalism, someone to fight our corner that we all latched right onto paul hartley and in hindsight, its made us look a bit pathetic.

let him move on and lets bring through our own heroes

Blimey.

MT in speaking sense shocker.

while i agree - and for the record, instigated - the fact that he was a spent force when he came here, your attitude is appalling.

the guys been, lets be honest, an expensive flop and its maybe best he leaves

hes not "our" hero, he's hearts', lets be honest again.

we were just so desperate for some professionalism, someone to fight our corner that we all latched right onto paul hartley and in hindsight, its made us look a bit pathetic.

let him move on and lets bring through our own heroes

best post ever by MT.....Ive been a supporter of Hartley, but your reply has made me think long and hard.

If it wisna for Hartley, we would be deeper in the relegation mire than we are. He was the ONLY good player in the team at the start of the season.

But he's a tink, no doubt about it, reeks of classlessness in terms of actual intellectual activity. A ned.

So get him to f**k.

• Site Sponsor

He's maybe assessed his performance over the season and is honest enough to maybe admit that after a bright start it's not been good enough.

He's been unlucky with injuries, but he's breathing out of his arse most games.

He's undoubtably good in the dressing room, but for next season I'd be looking for him to take a back seat and either go into coaching or retire.

Use his considerable wage on trying to encourage Milsom & Smith to stay on or get others in.

If he can't play a full part on the pitch then we can't afford to keep him.

Not read the story but probably just lip service from Oor Willie... (not in any way Che Guevara anymore - won't wear that T shirt now...). He was probably asked if Hartley was staying... For 70 mins he was immense in the first game of the season and was exactly the sort of player that would make even the most cynical of AFC fan raise an eyebrow, but it was too little too late in his career.

Either way I just hope we get our house in better order next season.

I agree he should be off the playing staff if possible, but for no reason other than it seems that his legs have gone. He had enough early in the season that he was our best by far and carried the rest of the team. Part way through though he was a spent force and now injured and struggling to get back from it?

He filled a gap we had early on... for someone to do something, anything. I guess he was this season's Andy Dow: not what you'd call a great player but someone who fans latched onto because he was a catalyst.

I came up with a strange and unusual idea, that 95% of people/footballers would never go for.

However if Hartley does realise his legs have gone, and wants to repay us and meant what he said about bringing the club on then this is a perfect oppurtunity.

Essentially keep him on as a player/coach.

As each season passes I'd expect him to play less and less.

Instead of a wage rise, have a yearly wage drop inserted into a long term contract.

So in say 3-4 years, his wages will be in line with coaches.

We gain an influential bit part player and someone who clearly has passion and knowledge about the game in the coaching side of things.

What does he gain? He'll have a say 4-5 year deal where he has security, an oppurtunity to progressing on the coaching side of things; playing when required and he can help be a part of bringing us back to our rightful stature, which he has said was his aim.

Thoughts?

Apart from "that's stupid no-one would agree to a wage drop" - Which is valid and I'm perfectly aware

I came up with a strange and unusual idea, that 95% of people/footballers would never go for.

However if Hartley does realise his legs have gone, and wants to repay us and meant what he said about bringing the club on then this is a perfect oppurtunity.

Essentially keep him on as a player/coach.

As each season passes I'd expect him to play less and less.

Instead of a wage rise, have a yearly wage drop inserted into a long term contract.

So in say 3-4 years, his wages will be in line with coaches.

We gain an influential bit part player and someone who clearly has passion and knowledge about the game in the coaching side of things.

What does he gain? He'll have a say 4-5 year deal where he has security, an oppurtunity to progressing on the coaching side of things; playing when required and he can help be a part of bringing us back to our rightful stature, which he has said was his aim.

Thoughts?

Apart from "that's stupid no-one would agree to a wage drop" - Which is valid and I'm perfectly aware

I think Hartley should do the decent thing, and just leave. His days of being able to contribute are now over. Saving his wage might help to keep the likes of Milsom and Smith who in the majority of games have been a success.

There may be some merit in offering him a coaching position, but I doubt if he has had any formal coaching training as yet, and that part must be fully staffed already. However, it would be a breakaway from the former legend/long time player habits which may not be a bad thing.

Also, I believe it was mentioned at the start of the season that Hartley would be starting his coaching badges in the summer.

Can't remember if it was his final qualification or the second top one but he was due to go for something during the first international break this season but ended up surprisingly working his back into the Scotland set-up and scrapping the course.