Rangers v Barca

Rangers have hosted nine European matches against Spanish opposition and have won four; Barcelona have lost four of their six away matches against Scottish clubs.

Rangers are unbeaten in their last eight Champions League matches, a run which started with six consecutive draws. It is the longest running unbeaten streak in the competition. Their last defeat was more than two years ago at Internazionale (1-0).

Barcelona are facing an injury crisis ahead of the Group E match:-

Deco is out for five weeks, striker Samuel Eto'o is still sidelined, while Yaya Toure, Gianluca Zambrotta, Edmilson and Rafael Marquez miss out.

The match will be refereed by the Austrian Konrad Plautz - who officiated at Ibrox when they qualified for the knock-out stage two years ago by securing a 1-1 draw with Inter Milan.

Plautz was also the man in the middle at the Parc des Princes last month when Scotland beat France 1-0.

:angry11:

If Rangers lose then get it right up them. If they win then great for Scottish game and great for co-efficient which helps AFC. Win win situation, even if a draw!!

They have a lot of scots in their team these days so i dont have a problem with them doing well in europe. Incidently i quite liked seeing that the team with the most scots won the old firm game

So you are wanting R****rs to win then?

Would rather they lost in an entertaining game so when i'm watching it i dont get bored. Though when Barca score i will cheer :hysterical:

Dont really mind if they win or draw though as if they get through better coefficient but so long as they get put out at the next round after the group stages.

Rangers have been pretty piss so far.

Don't know about that, 0-0 after 30 minutes and only limiting Barca to a couple of half chances. I think most Rangers fans will be happy so far.

Seems a pretty subdued atmosphere though, i'd imagine if this had been Aberdeen vs Barca, Pittodrie would have been absolutely rocking!

Guest El Padre
Don't know about that, 0-0 after 30 minutes and only limiting Barca to a couple of half chances. I think most Rangers fans will be happy so far.

Seems a pretty subdued atmosphere though, i'd imagine if this had been Aberdeen vs Barca, Pittodrie would have been absolutely rocking!

The atmosphere was pretty good in the first ten minutes or so I thought. I think nervousness has set in pretty quickly for the fans.

I'm going to have to turn this off.... I'd forgotten how completely ***king miserable Walter Smith's tactics are. 11 men behind the ball, stick a foot out if it comes near you. I know it's the same tactics any Scottish team would play against Barcelona, but I'm guessing those teams would make the effort when they actually got a hold of the ball. This reminds me of Scotland v Switzerland and Belarus.

Roll on our fast, flowing, silky skillful performance against Panathinaikos!

Guest LondonScottish
I'm going to have to turn this off.... I'd forgotten how completely ***king miserable Walter Smith's tactics are. 11 men behind the ball, stick a foot out if it comes near you. I know it's the same tactics any Scottish team would play against Barcelona, but I'm guessing those teams would make the effort when they actually got a hold of the ball. This reminds me of Scotland v Switzerland and Belarus.

Roll on our fast, flowing, silky skillful performance against Panathinaikos!

And a proper thumping!!! :hysterical:

I think the coefficient argument is a weak one. Rangers got past the group stages under Eck, and although it "improved the coefficient" - it did f u c k all to AFC.

but if it wasn't for rangers that season we would have had a terrible co-efficient as Celtic did so bad that season. If results continue and for a few seasons more then scotland could get 7 teams in europe so it does effect aberdeen i think. Imagine us finishing 4th and some piss team gets lucky in the cup then we don't get into europe. Now we have a taste for europe i want to be there all the time.

but if it wasn't for rangers that season we would have had a terrible co-efficient as Celtic did so bad that season.

...yeah, we would have had a terrible coefficient and....nothing different would have happened. Fair enough, we could get an extra European place in future but I can't see it..and at the expense of either of the unwashed getting any sort of success in Europe? No, thanks.

Old Firm Plc getting

...yeah, we would have had a terrible coefficient and....nothing different would have happened. Fair enough, we could get an extra European place in future but I can't see it..and at the expense of either of the unwashed getting any sort of success in Europe? No, thanks.

Old Firm Plc getting

If say the old firm and other teams didn't get results for 5 years then we would drop down to 3 teams in europe which would not suit the dons. Yes they get millions which is a negative but look at us we are getting a fair bit of cash this year. Rangers/celtic have had a fair bit of cash in the last few years but i think the gap is a lot less between the old firm and other teams.

As much as I hate the old firm I don't mind them doing well in europe, just don't want them to win the competition.

I don't see how some people are still denying that Scottish teams doing well in europe is good for the whole country :dontknow:

As much as I hate the old firm I don't mind them doing well in europe, just don't want them to win the competition.

I don't see how some people are still denying that Scottish teams doing well in europe is good for the whole country :dontknow:

FFS! How many times does it need to be said, how is it good for the country? Any small coefficient benefit is vastly outweighed by the amount of money the receive. The more money they get, the further ahead of the rest of the SPL they get, the less competitive Scottish football is.

The ONLY people the OF doing well in Europe is good for is themselves.

7 points in a group like that, with two brilliant wins, you have to hand it to them, well done. :dontknow:

For sure. Theres a hun at my work who would be delighted for us if we won our group. He ***king despises us right enough but can't imagining himself supporting a danish, greek, russian or spanish team he knows ***k all about.

Any of the smart fans know what all 3 of us qualifying through our groups would do to our co-efficient?

Funny that, because the first 60 mins reminded me of our game in Dnipro :dontknow: