Call off of Old Firm games before Italy match

Guest redbrigade

Call off of Old Firm games before Italy match  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Were the SPL right to call off only the Old Firm games?

• Yes
    • No
    • Won't lose any sleep

Guest redbrigade

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/i...als/7059767.stm

Alex McLeish has praised the SPL for postponing matches involving Rangers and Celtic on the weekend before Scotland's vital meeting with Italy.

The SPL agreed to a request from the Scotland manager to rearrange Falkirk's visit to Celtic Park and Rangers' visit to St Mirren Park in November.

"It's great news. We really pushed for it," McLeish told the Daily Mail.

"The managers were behind us all the way. It frees up about 10 players. It is a real boost, a fantastic bonus."

McLeish draws a significant number of his Scotland squad and first-choice line-up from Glasgow's biggest two clubs.

And he believes it will be a major help as his side host Italy on 17 November - when they need a victory to ensure qualification for the Euro 2008 finals.

McLeish said "we really appreciate" the gesture by the Scottish Premier League.

But the league itself has been left unhappy that the SFA declined to meet the cost of postponing the two matches.

Guest LondonScottish
I agree. Not something you often associate with the SFA or SPL but well done on this occasion.

Whoever voted that matches shouldn't have been called off surely cannot be Scottish.

Guest LondonScottish
I most certainly am and havent missed a Scotland home game in this campaign :thumbs:

So why on this Earth would you want to let any of our key players get injured?? FFS if we lost Barry Ferguson, Hartley and Brown to injury we'd be bang in trouble. Why take the risk? So what you've gone to a handful of home games, maybe you're too young to appreciate all the sh*te and nearly-nearly tournaments we have been involved in. We need the odds as heavily in our favour. How you cannot understand this is a complete mystery.

So why on this Earth would you want to let any of our key players get injured?? FFS if we lost Barry Ferguson, Hartley and Brown to injury we'd be bang in trouble. Why take the risk? So what you've gone to a handful of home games, maybe you're too young to appreciate all the sh*te and nearly-nearly tournaments we have been involved in. We need the odds as heavily in our favour. How you cannot understand this is a complete mystery.

hello mystic meg.

hello mystic meg.

:thumbs:

Seriously though, can we stop this holier than thou "I'm more Scottish than you" attitude. Save that kind of crap for the TAMB. Everyone's entitled to their opinions. Try to accept them rather than force yours down their throats.

If we lost Hartley to injury we'd be lucky!!

I'm not getting into this though as its done enough on the AFC section. I just dont think that its necessary and stand by that view whether Scotland win lose or draw. I have been to a lot more Scotland games than just this campaign but though these were the only relevant ones though am possibly to young to have witnessed all the disappointment as i am 24. Witnessed a lot of sh*te but not much disappointment.

Guest LondonScottish
hello mystic meg.

Tell me if I'm wrong? If they play they MAY get injured. Why take a risk? Can't make it simpler than that for you.

Guest LondonScottish
If we lost Hartley to injury we'd be lucky!!

quote]

Sums it up really with your views on Hartley. Little gypo ***t he may be, but a quality fighter and cog in Scotland's team he most certainly is. He's the type of player we do not want injured.

Guest LondonScottish
:thumbs:

Seriously though, can we stop this holier than thou "I'm more Scottish than you" attitude. Save that kind of crap for the TAMB. Everyone's entitled to their opinions. Try to accept them rather than force yours down their throats.

Not at all; this is in the best interests of my, your, our country's qualification hopes. How people think that all games should be played is just plain wrong. Absolutely mental. :thumbup1:

Hartley's past his best imo, should've been in the squad more often during his purple patch at Hearts. Played well against France but has been a passenger in many other games. That said, he prob wouldn't start ahead of McCulloch, Fletcher, Ferguson, Brown anyway, depending upon whether Eck decides to go with McFadden in the hole again or put him up front on his own.

Sums it up really with your views on Hartley. Little gypo ***t he may be, but a quality fighter and cog in Scotland's team he most certainly is. He's the type of player we do not want injured.

I prefer overrated ***t but its all about opinions :thumbs:

He wouldnt fit into my starting 11 for that game at all. If you'd have said Hutton then you may have been onto something.

Guest LondonScottish
I prefer overrated ***t but its all about opinions :thumbup1:

He wouldnt fit into my starting 11 for that game at all. If you'd have said Hutton then you may have been onto something.

You were talking about Hartley, were you not?

I assume there will be a Le Guen style "no tackling" approach in traininig that week as well.

LS seems to ignore the fact that no one thinks it's a ad idea, just been handled appalling by all parties

you cannot protect players, what if Ferguson gets injured badly in the 1st min of the game. It's just as bad as him picking up a knock 7 days in advance, if not worse.

Guest LondonScottish
I assume there will be a Le Guen style "no tackling" approach in traininig that week as well.

LS seems to ignore the fact that no one thinks it's a ad idea, just been handled appalling by all parties

you cannot protect players, what if Ferguson gets injured badly in the 1st min of the game. It's just as bad as him picking up a knock 7 days in advance, if not worse.

In your opinion.

Indeed. He seems to be overrated slightly (possibly just by yourself) but i dont rate him and on current form would rather have Seve or Nicholson.

I'd even rather have Dailly doing that holding role rather then Hartley!!

eh?? current form.

i dont think he's played since the france match in which he put in a great shift

Guest LondonScottish
Indeed. He seems to be overrated slightly (possibly just by yourself) but i dont rate him and on current form would rather have Seve or Nicholson.

I'd even rather have Dailly doing that holding role rather then Hartley!!

Well that ain't gonna happen. I think Hartley does a job for Scotland when he comes on for sure. To say you'd rather have Dailly than Hartley is just well................... can get some of what you're sniffing? :thumbup1: