Football's Wages

Guest TenementFunster
i see yesterday some politician was rather pissed off at John Terry's (or as Jamie Redknapp calls him JT) wages.

obviously terry isnt going to say no to these wages but

As much as I think John Terry is an uber***t, why does he deserve the details of his salary highlighted in public by an MP? It would happen with no other sport and most other professions.

In the very same week Zidane signed for Real Madrid a van Gogh piece was sold for almost the identical amount. The outrage the Zidane transfer fee caused was great. Nobody said anything about the piece of art. I would suspect that - apart from anything else - Zidane brought so much more joy and amazement to people than a painting we've all seen a thousand times.

A lot of it is down to snobbery, the attitude of "he just kicks a ball about" is implied whenever this subject is brought up. And yet, nothing is said about the millions Tiger Woods or Roger Federer will make in their respective careers.

The fact is, football is a business these days. If the clubs are "stupid" enough to offer/grant these wages, the player in question certainly isn't going to turn it down and accept

Aye but by how much has the top footballers salaries increased in the last 10 years, probably by about a gazillion%. Compare that to the increase of the hard working man on the street in the last 10 years which is about next to sweet ***k all. Yes the top sports stars deserve to have money but not that much. Blame the agents. And capitalism!

Guest LondonScottish
Aye but by how much has the top footballers salaries increased in the last 10 years, probably by about a gazillion%. Compare that to the increase of the hard working man on the street in the last 10 years which is about next to sweet ***k all. Yes the top sports stars deserve to have money but not that much. Blame the agents. And capitalism!

Blame the working man on the street for buying Sky TV.

Why shouldn't they if the industry has also increased "probably by about a gazillion%"?

Why shouldn't they if the industry has also increased "probably by about a gazillion%"?

Well your asking someone who has many doubts about the whole capitalist system but I aint opening that can of worms. Here's one thought. If half the money made by the top stars was poured into youth development, grass roots level, or even in leagues other than the premiership, then maybe Engurland would have a better chance of doing well at major championships..(not that I want to see that happening) The money could be better spent, other than supplying the likes of John Terry with an extra few ferraris, houses and diamond necklaces for the wags. Then again, I realise that they've a limited time in their careers to make money so I can see that side of it.

Guest LondonScottish
Well your asking someone who has many doubts about the whole capitalist system but I aint opening that can of worms. Here's one thought. If half the money made by the top stars was poured into youth development, grass roots level, or even in leagues other than the premiership, then maybe Engurland would have a better chance of doing well at major championships..(not that I want to see that happening) The money could be better spent, other than supplying the likes of John Terry with an extra few ferraris, houses and diamond necklaces for the wags. Then again, I realise that they've a limited time in their careers to make money so I can see that side of it.

:ThumbsDown: What's stopping them from doing a proper job??

And plus, surely you can see that there's something wrong with someone making 150 000 grand a week for playing football without trying to make reason behind it. The industry as a whole is ***ked up, too much silly money involved which means you've now got american ***kers coming over and taking over english clubs. And a lithuanian(or russian whatever) ***ker taking over a scottish club. If I had to sum it up. Football has lost its soul!

:dontknow: What's stopping them from doing a proper job??

Aye but as I say, they ARE the top stars and have put in years of hard work to get where they are, so they deserve to make some money in their short careers so they can do as they wish when they retire.

:laughing: Just realised, didn't mean to quote Roy Keane. So he summed it up pretty well then.

And plus, surely you can see that there's something wrong with someone making 150 000 grand a week for playing football without trying to make reason behind it. The industry as a whole is ***ked up, too much silly money involved which means you've now got american ***kers coming over and taking over english clubs. And a lithuanian ***ker taking over a scottish club. If I had to sum it up. Football has lost its soul!

so it's a race thing? :laughing:

I take your point though about putting the money back into the grass roots development, but then, all that happens is that Real Madrid, AC Milan, Bayern Munich comes in for these players and they offer them that money, so the country's top players are lost to that country's league. It's a global game now more than ever, and the top players on our continent are getting similar salaries, if not more.

so it's a race thing? :dontknow:

I take your point though about putting the money back into the grass roots development, but then, all that happens is that Real Madrid, AC Milan, Bayern Munich comes in for these players and they offer them that money, so the country's top players are lost to that country's league. It's a global game now more than ever, and the top players on our continent are getting similar salaries, if not more.

:laughing: Nah, I just don't like businessmen with too much money ***king up our national game. I can see the reasons behind why Terry and co are on silly money. But my gut instinct tells me that no footballer is justified in getting that much, especially these english players whose astronomical wages are dictated more by their media hype/image rather than their actual footballing skills. Same could be said for fat cat businessmen gettin gpaid too much. It's an unfair world I guess, dog eat dog an'all that. You can't blame Terry for taking whats on the table.