Good quote from Liam Brady

"A lot of tournaments passed England by when it was a lot easier to qualify. They didn't qualify for the World Cups of 1974, 1978 and 1994 and their record in the European Championship is pretty poor as well. Sven-Goran Eriksson was criticised but his results stand up with any England manager.

"Their record before 1966 was pretty appalling, too. That's the fact that no one wants to face up to. Everyone wants to blame foreign players in the same way that society likes to blame all its ills on immigration."

Pretty much spot on, from where I'm standing.

"A lot of tournaments passed England by when it was a lot easier to qualify. They didn't qualify for the World Cups of 1974, 1978 and 1994 and their record in the European Championship is pretty poor as well. Sven-Goran Eriksson was criticised but his results stand up with any England manager.

"Their record before 1966 was pretty appalling, too. That's the fact that no one wants to face up to. Everyone wants to blame foreign players in the same way that society likes to blame all its ills on immigration."

Pretty much spot on, from where I'm standing.

:hysterical:

Far too easy to blame outside influences rather than looking within and getting their house in order. TBH for the level of interest in the fitba in England and the amount of money in their game, Englands international record is abysmal. Lets face it, they only won in 66 due to staging the thing and some dodgy officiating.

:hysterical:

Far too easy to blame outside influences rather than looking within and getting their house in order. TBH for the level of interest in the fitba in England and the amount of money in their game, Englands international record is abysmal. Lets face it, they only won in 66 due to staging the thing and some dodgy officiating.

A stat that came from the same article was that when the EPL began in '92, 76% of its players were English, that figure is now 37%. But, they didn't qualify for the World Cup in 94, so it's not as if that stat lends any credence to the belief that their national teams failure is down to the influx of foreigners.

Aye but is it? Or is it all an illusion created by SKY?

How many English players are playing in foreign, more technically gifted leagues?

They do have some very good players, you have to admit that. Gerrard is a fantastic player being crippled by his managers (club and country) decisions. Rooney and Owen are two very good forwards. Terry is a very good centre half. I do believe though, the best English player doesn't play for them anymore. They have missed Paul Scholes hugely, and the worst thing from an England fan's point of view is that it is Englands fault he doesnt play for them.

They do have some very good players, you have to admit that. Gerrard is a fantastic player being crippled by his managers (club and country) decisions. Rooney and Owen are two very good forwards. Terry is a very good centre half. I do believe though, the best English player doesn't play for them anymore. They have missed Paul Scholes hugely, and the worst thing from an England fan's point of view is that it is Englands fault he doesnt play for them.

I agree they do have some good players, but not enough world class players. There is a lack of basic technical ability and passing ability that players from Italy and Spain exhibit. I think until there is a fundamental change in the way fitba is coached in this country (Scotland and Enlgand) with the emphasis moved from size and speed to skill and technique, then England will never win another thing.

Edit: Paul Scholes is one of the few who has the technical ability I'm talking about, great vision and passing.

Spoiler (that stopped being funny after about 2 posts, by the way):

Liverpool 8 - Besiktas 0

Arsenal 7 - Slavia Prague 0

Juventus 7 - Olympiakos 0

Man Utd 7 - Roma 1

Leeds 6 - Besiktas 0

Don't really see your point here...3 Englishmen played at Anfield (Gerrard and Crouch scored), as far as I know only 1 played in the Arsenal drubbing of Prague (Walcott), and granted, Rooney put in a fine performance against Roma, but surely that

some good points made. from the grassroots the emphasis is on athleticism and competition, whereas in continental europe youngsters learn to play a variety of positions and emphasis is on technical development. they do have a couple of gifted players: rooney and scholes, but they're consistently outplayed when they face top opposition. gerrard and lampard are one-dimensional, they can't weight passes, slow a game down, or play a subtle pass. imo, only rooney and possibly terry would get a game for the top 10 sides in the world.

It's not meant to be funny, purely optional if you read my posts or not

And not attention seeking in any way...

The point I was trying to make was that they obviously have some talent as they would not be ringing in results like those in the Champions League.

Yes...but, much like the better club sides in Spain, the overwhelming majority of that talent comes from abroad.

It's not meant to be funny, purely optional if you read my posts or not.

The point I was trying to make was that they obviously have some talent as they would not be ringing in results like those in the Champions League.

The Spanish national team have done nothing of note with their supposed greater technical ability. And their better club sides are made up of players from other countries.

I don't think anyone would truly deny that England have many brilliant footballers. Ferdinand, Terry, A. Cole, Lampard, Beckham, Hargreaves, Gerrard and Rooney for starters. Their first 11 should be there or thereabouts at every tournament. At the last World Cup, many Scots thought that England had a great chance of winning it.

They are all good players but they are crap out one thing all the best national sides do these days - keeping the ball when under pressure.