You just have to score one more than them

I'm just wondering, was it the same kind of thing for us back in 1983? Unfancied team coming up against a giant of football needing to win or else? Did most people really think we had no chance then?

I'm only 25, so I don't remember it.

I was only 16 at the time, but I wouldnt say we thought we were favourites.
McLeish has won titles as a player and as a manager but he said: "It would probably be the best achievement of my managerial career if we were to qualify.

That's how I would rate it."

Anyone who doubted that his "best moment of my career" speech after the Huns won the league, needs to read this sentence. You'll note winning on Saturday would be the highlight of his management career. Gothenburg by ommission is clealry his career highlight.

Guest TenementFunster
I was only 16 at the time, but I wouldnt say we thought we were favourites.

Far from it in fact. I think Munich were the favourites for the tounament. Could be wrong about that, I was only 12. :blahblah1:

Anyone who doubted that his "best moment of my career" speech after the Huns won the league, needs to read this sentence. You'll note winning on Saturday would be the highlight of his management career. Gothenburg by ommission is clealry his career highlight.

McLeish has said in the past his greatest playing achievement (or memory) was scoring in the Scottish Cup Final. Apparently he was rather down in the changing room after the Real Madrid game, he stayed in the showers with his head against the wall because of his backpass. Alex Ferguson had to go in to the shower (fully clothed) to tell him it didnt matter and that he should be enjoying it.

Pretty certain Bayern were among the favourites, and it was our first europen quarter-final as well I think......hardly likely we were favourites. IIRC a lot of punditry considered we couldn't play any better than we had in Germany (a bit like comments made by a certain B Robson after the first leg v Ipswich a couple of years earlier)