The 2010 World Cup Thread

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LondonScottish
I think there is a new world ranking list released on Friday... this will decide our fate. However, we're odds on to remain in pot, as until this week we were the second ranked team in pot 2.

If we'd beaten Italy would we have moved into pot one?

definetly in Pot 2 so chances of a failry reasonable draw. Unfortunatly tho only group winners qualify for the World Cup so needing to avoid France / Italy / Germany / Holland from pot 1 to stand decent chacne of topping the group. England would do, Czech's are aging a bit, and avoid probably Turkey/Denmark from Pot 3 and definetly Montenegro in pot 6 is a must avoid as they will have decent player and are only in that pot due to newly forming.

Pots

Italy

France

Germany

Spain

Netherlands

Portugal

Czech Republic

Croatia

England

take England, Czech, Croatia or Portugal from here

Romania

Scotland

Greece

Russia

Poland

Norway

Ukraine

Sweden

Serbia

Turkey

Denmark

Republic of Ireland

Bulgaria

Northern Ireland

Israel

Switzerland

Finland

Hungary

Northern Ireland will do - had coupel of decent wins but still basically rubbish - Finland / Bulgaria also

Bosnia-Herzegovina

Slovakia

Belgium

Cyprus

Wales

Moldova

Albania

Georgia

FYR Macedonia

dodgy pot here - Cyprus/SLovakia/Moldova - couple of difficult away trips potentially from here

Slovenia

Iceland

Armenia

Latvia

Austria

Lithuania

Belarus

Azerbaijan

Liechtenstein

same as pot 4 - Liechtenstein would be ideal

Kazakhstan

Estonia

Malta

Luxembourg

Montenegro

Andorra

Faroe Islands

San Marino

anyone aside Montenegro.

Still knowing our bloody luck our draw will be

Germany

Scotland

Turkey

Bosnia

Slovenia

Montenegro

still easier than our last group

Do the runners up not go into play-offs?

Indeed, but that means the chance of a couple of pot 1 teams and our equivalents. No easy feat either, and remember our two previous play off attempts have put us out despite winning a leg both times.

We could do with pulling England out of Pot 1, that would be our best bet I think.

The 8 best runners up go into a playoff. One runner up even misses out on that :ThumbsDown:

Yeah I heard that yesterday. What a bummer that would be.

Even more confusingly

Eight groups of six teams and one group of five will contest the European qualifying competition for the 2010 FIFA World Cup. The nine group-winners will qualify directly, while the highest ranked eight of the nine second-placed teams will contest home and away play-off matches for the remaining four places. In determining the rank of second-placed teams, only results against those finishing 1st, 3rd, 4th and 5th will be counted.

I suposed they have to do this with the groups not being of equal size. Play-offs will reduce even further the chance of a "small" nation getting through. Somebody pointed out that for Euro '08 all but one of the top two group seeds (Denmark) are likely to qualify when it's sorted out tonight.

It's getting like the old Formula One rules where only you 10 best results counted, so a driver with the most points overall didn't always win the title.

Pots

Italy

France

Germany

Spain

Netherlands

Portugal

Czech Republic

Croatia

England

take England, Czech, Croatia or Portugal from here

Romania

Scotland

Greece

Russia

Poland

Norway

Ukraine

Sweden

Serbia

Turkey

Denmark

Republic of Ireland

Bulgaria

Northern Ireland

Israel

Switzerland

Finland

Hungary

Northern Ireland will do - had coupel of decent wins but still basically rubbish - Finland / Bulgaria also

Bosnia-Herzegovina

Slovakia

Belgium

Cyprus

Wales

Moldova

Albania

Georgia

FYR Macedonia

dodgy pot here - Cyprus/SLovakia/Moldova - couple of difficult away trips potentially from here

Slovenia

Iceland

Armenia

Latvia

Austria

Lithuania

Belarus

Azerbaijan

Liechtenstein

same as pot 4 - Liechtenstein would be ideal

Kazakhstan

Estonia

Malta

Luxembourg

Montenegro

Andorra

Faroe Islands

San Marino

anyone aside Montenegro.

I'm hearing some chat that owning to Romania and Greeces excellent results of late, coupled with Englands loss, one of these teams may leap frog into pot 1.

My Ideal group:

ENGLAND

SCOTLAND

BULGARIA

CYPRUS

LIECHTENSTEIN

SAN MARINO

Group of Death:

ITALY

SCOTLAND

REPUBLIC OF IRELAND

GEORGIA

BELARUS

MONTENEGRO

Not that scary though even if we get a really horrible draw. I chose Ireland because they are traditionally fairly strong and I expect them to improve gratly this coming qualifying round.

My Ideal group:

ENGLAND

SCOTLAND

BULGARIA

CYPRUS

LIECHTENSTEIN

SAN MARINO

Group of Death:

ITALY

SCOTLAND

REPUBLIC OF IRELAND

GEORGIA

BELARUS

MONTENEGRO

Not that scary though even if we get a really horrible draw. I chose Ireland because they are traditionally fairly strong and I expect them to improve gratly this coming qualifying round.

TBH I'd have any number of teams in ahead of Bulgaria.

Guest redbrigade

England will not be among the top seeds in the 2010 World Cup qualifying draw after their failure to reach Euro 2008.

The defeat against Croatia has seen them drop to 12th place - and they have now been leap-frogged by Greece.

This means they are not in the top nine European countries in the draw when it is made in Durban on Sunday.

They are now in the group of second seeds and could possibly face Italy, France or Germany in a potentially hazardous qualifying group.

Scotland have also dropped one place to 14th, meaning they will also be among the group of second seeds.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/i...als/7108764.stm

England will not be among the top seeds in the 2010 World Cup qualifying draw after their failure to reach Euro 2008.

The defeat against Croatia has seen them drop to 12th place - and they have now been leap-frogged by Greece.

This means they are not in the top nine European countries in the draw when it is made in Durban on Sunday.

They are now in the group of second seeds and could possibly face Italy, France or Germany in a potentially hazardous qualifying group.

Scotland have also dropped one place to 14th, meaning they will also be among the group of second seeds.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/i...als/7108764.stm

it just keeps gettin better

Guest redbrigade
The ceremony starts at 3pm, although it'll probably be well after that before they get round to drawing the European teams.

On Sunday at 16:00 CET (15:00 GMT, 17:00 local time), the eyes of the footballing world will turn to Durban for the Preliminary Draw for the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa