Way Forward for Dandies?

Looking at JC's reign so far cannae really see all too much to complain about. His job when he took over was to steady the leaky boat and he did that and a bit more.

Probably over-achieved in his first season and is paying the price a bit now with a few people getting on his back for not living up to their expectations. Made some very good signings (on paper at least) during the Summer and looks to have about as good a squad as we could hope for given our money situation.

Now, what can JC do to move on from here? Cannae really see us being able to bring in many players BETTER than the ones we have now. We don't have the money.

We have a small squad but adding a few bench-warmers isnae going to do much for the overall quality of the first XI.

Long way to go still in this season, but if we don't make the UEFA spot this season then what more can JC do? I don't see any obvious room for improvement or obvious targets in the SPL we could bring in.

I think 4th is the best we can achieve this year. Perhaps if we won one of the cups might get some of the players to believe in themselves, even League Cup might inspire them to achieve 3rd. JC has a hard job taking us much further than that without the board providing funds.

Next stage for JC is to see how much the board are willing to support him and provide funds to take us to another level. Without that support cannot see us moving forward too much more.

JC has done well in the transfer market and given time I am sure the players will come good - would be nice if some would support the team instead of getting on their backs.

I'm hoping a few players can be added in January as our squad is too small to cope with injuries. I still don't think we're far off being a good team. Some of the players seem to be lacking in confidence just now but a few good results can turn that around. Caley have a dreadful home record so hopefully we can capitalise on that a week on sat. :blahblah1:

Who do you think we can get in the transfer window? I canny think of anybody that we could get for free that could come in & do a job for us.

We def have the makings of a good team - on and off the park.

Without funds though it is going to be difficult but not impossible.

Which is kinda what I was getting at. To improve we need more money for better players but we don't have it. We can't magic money out of thin air and unless we start generating more cash somehow then it ain't gonna happen.

If we do bring in players in January they are going to be squad people no better than Clark Hart Dempsey and players we already have. Will that have much positive impact?

This time last year the players we were after more or less picked themselves. Now we HAVE them. What next?

Yeah, and though we're in danger of getting ahead of ourselves here, the recent trend of 'hot-shot' Scottish managers going south and not exactly setting the heather on fire (Watty Waistcoat at Everton, Sturrock at Southampton and Plymouth, Levein at Leicester) could count against Calderwood if/when any potential jobs come up.

Ye forgot about Jum Juffries and Fat Boab Williamson.

isn't the gist of this thread - ah well, we've done not bad - as well as Humble Wee us can expect to really - maybe get a few crumbs --

I'm all for being 'realistic' but come on lads - crank it up a bit - it's still early season and we have potential to get our act together - where's that feisty spirit that flourished recently at the Defeat of the Huns?

isn't the gist of this thread - ah well, we've done not bad - as well as Humble Wee us can expect to really - maybe get a few crumbs --

I'm all for being 'realistic' but come on lads - crank it up a bit - it's still early season and we have potential to get our act together  - where's that  feisty spirit that flourished recently at the Defeat of the Huns?

I think the problem is that over the last decade we have seen our hopes raised only to be dashed again by poor decisions from board and worse managerial decisions. Personally I still believe that it is only 11 against 11 and that we are more than capable on our day of beating anyone. Just wish the players would believe in themselves as for the first time in a long long time we do have a decent first team. If JC can get them in right frame of mind then anything is possible. It would help though if we could get back to an atmosphere similar to the last day of last season against Hearts. I'm sure that would help motivate the players and in turn motivate us all.

Guest Saltire

I'm not so sure that the players don't "believe in themselves"... I just don't think the team has properly gelled together yet. Two brand new strikers brought in and Markus being taken away was inevitably going to cause problems. This season might be a bit sh*te, but I expect next season to be a whole lot better...

I'm not so sure that the players don't "believe in themselves"... I just don't think the team has properly gelled together yet.  Two brand new strikers brought in and Markus being taken away was inevitably going to cause problems.  This season might be a bit sh*te, but I expect next season to be a whole lot better...

You could well be right. Not unusual for players to take time to gel. Seen it in the past with far better players than we have now. I am still confident that this season can still turn out ok. Beating Mwell in the cup could get as moving.

4th place is still possible.

I think you are right about Markus. Whilst not the best wehn it came to skill between him and Severin they could break up the opponents play. We don't have that this year. When we lost Severin last year we went on a terrible run. Was that down to just Severin's ability or also the fact that you need 2 midfielders who can win tackles?

I was quite pleased a few games ago with this season because so far we seemed to have a quite effective and clinical side...finishing off easily the fairly poor teams in the League (aka Falkirk and Dunfermline) which has een our problem in recent seasons. But the last two results have made me doubt this again

Scary thing is last season we overachieved with the squad we had maybe just scraping in the top 6.

This season to me has been a disappointment - that is strange as we are in the top 6 but i feel this team should be better we should higher in the league and much better performances, don't think we have played well this season apart from the Rangers game and also the first half against Falkirk. Am i expect too much there, i do think the first 11 is the best we have had in many a year although as a squad it is the smallest which worries me if we get injuries. Maybe I'm beeing harsh but we have spent money and should have more pts. Last 2 games have been terrible performances which is a major concern for us.

While we have improved the only way we can compete at the top with top quality players is to get good players when they are youngsters. We cannot compete with the money being paid to the better available Bosman players but we can compete in getting these players when they are kids. If we get the best youngsters and give them good coaching then we may possibly develop them into top class players.

I realise this is a long term solution but our youth system has been declining for years

• 10 years later...

Looking at JC's reign so far cannae really see all too much to complain about. His job when he took over was to steady the leaky boat and he did that and a bit more.

Probably over-achieved in his first season and is paying the price a bit now with a few people getting on his back for not living up to their expectations. Made some very good signings (on paper at least) during the Summer and looks to have about as good a squad as we could hope for given our money situation.

Now, what can JC do to move on from here? Cannae really see us being able to bring in many players BETTER than the ones we have now. We don't have the money.

We have a small squad but adding a few bench-warmers isnae going to do much for the overall quality of the first XI.

Long way to go still in this season, but if we don't make the UEFA spot this season then what more can JC do? I don't see any obvious room for improvement or obvious targets in the SPL we could bring in.

WOW!

Diamond

Mackie

McGuire

Preece

the two Paatelainens

Tosh

Craig

Adams

Bryne

Dempsey

Winter

Muirehead

Morrison

Fuck me, if that was the "best we can do" then Scottish Football was even worse than I imagined.

I am happy with our progress. We seem to be investing in youth players and building for the future.

However, I think we need to push the boat out for a talented, skilful, and experienced midfielder to both captain the team and help us break down teams and control the midfield. There must be a talented midfielder out there looking for a good club and longer contract than their current team are offering. Sometimes money is not the driving factor with players already comfortable well off and just want to play. We should be aiming high and at least showing interest in players deemed to be outwith our reach.

I think the time has come to start investing in facilities rather than 'hallmark' players.

We won numerous titles, trophies, and European cups, we went into 7 figure debt, and yet we STILL have the same stadium (more or less) that we had a hundred years ago, we STILL have no dedicated training facilities, and we STILL have a patchy at best youth development system.

I'd take a few more years of mediocrity if it meant the club was actually investing some cash in our infrastructure.